Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

31 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I hadn't even got to people who don't understand how to be normal on a plane. Now you have got me thinking about that as well!

I've never understood why some people rush to be at the front of the queue when they say it's time to board. Who wants to sit on a cramped plane for any longer than necessary. We tend to sit in the departure lounge and wait until the queue has nearly gone.

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I've never understood why some people rush to be at the front of the queue when they say it's time to board. Who wants to sit on a cramped plane for any longer than necessary. We tend to sit in the departure lounge and wait until the queue has nearly gone.

Yeah we do, unless they call it in seat order (which is another bug bear cause people ignore it in an attempt to get on).

I think the issue is those that seem somehow to have bags the size of a small elephant with them to carry on, so they need the space in the overheads.

We hardly carry anything on, its a pain to do so so i dont care if i have space or not.

Its like those with Kids. They board first, wouldnt it be better to board last as kids tend to get restless at the best of times.

Agree with a lot of the airport/plane stuff.  We too always try to be last on.  The less time physically on the plane, the less tense wife I have!

Here's a scenario for you... maybe not annoying, but certainly made us go "Hmmmm"...

We're on, and sat in our seats... the two nearest the window (in a row of three).
A bit of waiting around... turns out it's a guy in a wheel chair... hoisted up on a lift-thing, and in through the door opposite to the walk-in door.  Simultaneously, staff and family (already on board) help to raise the guy out of the wheel chair, and shuffle him along, admittedly on foot, but only an inch at a time, to his seat... where they then proceeded to bend him, shape him, and somehow sit him down.  His hands weren't great either, so they also buckled him in.  Estimated time from front entrance area to his row 4 aisle seat?  12 mins?  Maybe 14?

Now here's the funny bit... his seat just happened to be the seat next to me... between me and the aisle... the aisle being the most appropriate route to take during any form of emergency evacuation!  Even though you haven't met her, you don't need me to describe the look on Muckerette's face... not exactly relaxed on a flight at the best of times, and now faced with the possibility of having to patiently wait for the disabled guy to be unbuckled and helped out of his seat before we can escape ourselves!

How we tittered, as the hostess went through the safety/evacuation procedure... NOT!
The phrase "Every man for himself" did enter my head, if I'm brutally honest, but I decided not to say it out loud!

As you may have gathered... the above is now a moot point, as we landed safely, and my neighbour was shuffled back to his wheel chair, and onto the lift, before we needed to stand and grab our bag from the lockers.

I sincerely hope he and his family had a wonderful holiday... but I hope the airlines are reading this, and give it some consideration!  

Sith Happens
22 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Agree with a lot of the airport/plane stuff.  We too always try to be last on.  The less time physically on the plane, the less tense wife I have!

Here's a scenario for you... maybe not annoying, but certainly made us go "Hmmmm"...

We're on, and sat in our seats... the two nearest the window (in a row of three).
A bit of waiting around... turns out it's a guy in a wheel chair... hoisted up on a lift-thing, and in through the door opposite to the walk-in door.  Simultaneously, staff and family (already on board) help to raise the guy out of the wheel chair, and shuffle him along, admittedly on foot, but only an inch at a time, to his seat... where they then proceeded to bend him, shape him, and somehow sit him down.  His hands weren't great either, so they also buckled him in.  Estimated time from front entrance area to his row 4 aisle seat?  12 mins?  Maybe 14?

Now here's the funny bit... his seat just happened to be the seat next to me... between me and the aisle... the aisle being the most appropriate route to take during any form of emergency evacuation!  Even though you haven't met her, you don't need me to describe the look on Muckerette's face... not exactly relaxed on a flight at the best of times, and now faced with the possibility of having to patiently wait for the disabled guy to be unbuckled and helped out of his seat before we can escape ourselves!

How we tittered, as the hostess went through the safety/evacuation procedure... NOT!
The phrase "Every man for himself" did enter my head, if I'm brutally honest, but I decided not to say it out loud!

As you may have gathered... the above is now a moot point, as we landed safely, and my neighbour was shuffled back to his wheel chair, and onto the lift, before we needed to stand and grab our bag from the lockers.

I sincerely hope he and his family had a wonderful holiday... but I hope the airlines are reading this, and give it some consideration!  

Thats a tough one because everyone is entitled to fly, it would however make sense to me that if you need assistance then you should sit next to someone who understands your needs.

On the note about queue skipping,  i understand that someone who needs assistance going first,  along with a couple of family members,  but why all in the party? This year there was a family with someone in a wheelchair who all skipped the queue, must have been about 10 of them.

Sith Happens

On the flying note air cabin crew. They have areas they can smoke in, why should they be allowed and not others. I don't think anyone should but why should they?

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Thats a tough one because everyone is entitled to fly, it would however make sense to me that if you need assistance then you should sit next to someone who understands your needs.

On the note about queue skipping,  i understand that someone who needs assistance going first,  along with a couple of family members,  but why all in the party? This year there was a family with someone in a wheelchair who all skipped the queue, must have been about 10 of them.

It was a tough one, in all seriousness.  Of course we didn't begrudge him his flight/holiday, but we couldn't help thinking he would, at the very least, "delay our progress" should an evacuation have been needed.  From memory, the 3 others in his party were a row in front, on the other side of the aisle.
Luckily neither of us are big drinkers, so at least we didn't need to disturb him for the 3 hour flight!  WE were both bostin' by the time we got off though!  ?

I assume your queue skipping comments are not related to my tale.  Just to clarify, his family were all on board, and he was last on, presumably having to wait for the lift operators etc?  No queue jumping in this case... but I have seen examples of what you describe!  Doesn't bother me personally... what with Muckerette wanting to be last on anyway!  (And more than happy to pay more for booked seat numbers!)

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

On the flying note air cabin crew. They have areas they can smoke in, why should they be allowed and not others. I don't think anyone should but why should they?

Never noticed that myself.. but then we've only ever flown with so-called budget airlines, and never longer than 3 hour or so flight. 

EDIT:
Oh... read it again... I presume you meant airport, not on the plane!  Eejit me!  

Edited by Mucker1884
I think I've been really, really dumb!

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

It was a tough one, in all seriousness.  Of course we didn't begrudge him his flight/holiday, but we couldn't help thinking he would, at the very least, "delay our progress" should an evacuation have been needed.  From memory, the 3 others in his party were a row in front, on the other side of the aisle.
Luckily neither of us are big drinkers, so at least we didn't need to disturb him for the 3 hour flight!  WE were both bostin' by the time we got off though!  ?

I assume your queue skipping comments are not related to my tale.  Just to clarify, his family were all on board, and he was last on, presumably having to wait for the lift operators etc?  No queue jumping in this case... but I have seen examples of what you describe!  Doesn't bother me personally... what with Muckerette wanting to be last on anyway!  (And more than happy to pay more for booked seat numbers!)

Yeah we are the same always book seats. It doesn’t really bother me, like.i said we carry next nothing with us hand baggage wise. But do wonder why so many people need priority boarding.

That said people who pay for priority boarding....why?

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Never noticed that myself.. but then we've only ever flown with so-called budget airlines, and never longer than 3 hour or so flight. 

We noticed it when we went to new york, people should remember you can smell it.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

We noticed it when we went to new york, people should remember you can smell it.

Oh... so you did mean on the plane then?  (See my edit to my last post).  I never knew that.

... and I could have got away without looking like an eejit!  ?

27 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Why does it matter if you wait until the queues nearly gone anyway?

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Why does it matter if you wait until the queues nearly gone anyway?

I just see when its that many they are using someones disability for their own gain.

Im not really that bothered. Just don't see why its necessary.

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Oh... so you did mean on the plane then?  (See my edit to my last post).  I never knew that.

... and I could have got away without looking like an eejit!  ?

Yeah. Probably know how to turn off smoke alarms 

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I just see when its that many they are using someones disability for their own gain.

Im not really that bothered. Just don't see why its necessary.

No worries. Don't know what they're gaining anyway. Plane doesn't take off any quicker

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

No worries. Don't know what they're gaining anyway. Plane doesn't take off any quicker

I agree. 

Now get me on bloody Europeans and their queuing etiquette

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Is that "Those Europeans" or "Us Europeans"?  ?

Well I should have perhaps said continental :)

Now let me get started on the 'towel run'. Not just germans either.

Last year in cape verde people were getting up at stupid o'clock to do the towel run. No issue if someone is going to lie on the bed but they don't. You can lie on your sunbed for hours and watch a couple of towels gently tanning themselves in the sun with no human occupants.

I think things like the towel run, the rush to be on the plane first etc is just 'fear of missing out.

Was quite amusing though as the hotel decided to enforce their rules on the beach and if any beds at 8am had towels but no occupants they removed them. I always get to the beach about 7.30am as for me its the best time of the day, but even moreso when you see the towel runners coming to their beds at various times only to find no towels on them or other occupants, lots of red faces and animated conversations.

Hotels should do it more.