Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

14 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

....except the burglar, in my experience. I was burgled twice while I lived in Worksop. 

First time when I didn't have an alarm. They must have been in the house for hours. Properly ransacked the place & made off with everything of any value, pretty much. Police finally came round 3 days later.

Second time with an alarm (same house). Grabbed the first thing they could (DVD player) & scarpered. 

Still not a nice experience but a lot easier to deal with the second time. 

I've liked because it was valid having one not because you were burgled. Being burgled must be one of the invasive and personal crimes to be a victim of.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

People who "reach out" to you. This idiotic expression began in America a few years ago and bizarrely has now crossed the Atlantic. If you use it, there are no words I have for you that would make it past the swear filter.

I often 'reach out' without knowing it. Or at least I get thanked for my 'reaching out'. 

58 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

There are actually groups of people, presumably social workers, in 'Outreach' teams. Not sure who they reach out to as they appear to be habitual coffee drinkers.

Probably more meaningful than Openreach.

The Four Tops, probably.

Puzzling/bemusing more than annoying:

The legal system still incorporating the swearing of an oath on a Bible. It was in aid of claiming the rights to my dead dad's estate in lieu of a will.

Not sure what 'Almighty God' has to do with my legal rights but hey ho!

I suppose I didn't have to do it that way, there would have been alternatives,  but I couldn't be arsed to argue.

Edited by Coconut

19 minutes ago, Coconut said:

The legal system still incorporating the swearing of an oath on a Bible. It was in aid of claiming the rights to my dead dad's estate in lieu of a will.

I suppose I didn't have to do it that way, there would have been alternatives,  but I couldn't be arsed to argue.

Insurance companies who don't pay out if the damage is 'an Act of God'. The Hoddle household should be ok.

23 hours ago, Coconut said:

Yup, mind boggling. Hardly anyone believes this god b******* any more anyway. Man in the sky? Heaven? The ark? Adam and Eve f****** and now we've got people? f*** off.

Even better, let's not pay taxes and let hundreds of god's spokespeople rape and abuse little vulnerable children, but not hand them in. No, no, no... oh f*** it, let's use magic man who controls everything as a reason for killing countless upon countless numbers of people.

god. What a top guy.

On 4 September 2017 at 00:32, Carl Sagan said:

People who "reach out" to you. This idiotic expression began in America a few years ago and bizarrely has now crossed the Atlantic. If you use it, there are no words I have for you that would make it past the swear filter.

Couldn't agree more. An instant turn off to developing a new contact. Feels like being approached by a religious fanatic. 

What about this other recent one : "Get my back" 

Its hard to be enthused by people in the business world so keen to embrace the latest fashionable management gobbledegook. Why can't they just speak plain English ? 

3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

People who put their seat back on the plane, shouldn't even be an option to do so imo.

You have to ask them instantly to put it forward or you're screwed.

I don't get it either, those that do show no consideration for others.  One of the most annoying things.

2 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

People who put their seat back on the plane, shouldn't even be an option to do so imo.

You have to ask them instantly to put it forward or you're screwed.

If everyone puts their seat back you're all more comfortable. I don't think it should be done on short flights, but it's perfectly acceptable and expected on anything long. When you're coming back on an overight flight from America, how else are you to try to get some sleep?

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If everyone puts their seat back you're all more comfortable. I don't think it should be done on short flights, but it's perfectly acceptable and expected on anything long. When you're coming back on an overight flight from America, how else are you to try to get some sleep?

I prefer to not have my already limited leg room reduced.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

But reclining a seat doesn't have any impact on legroom - it's only the higher-up portion that moves back.

Think that depends on the seat design. Was on a monarch flight to turkey in June and idiot in front decided to recline and I definitely lost knee room at least. It didn't help that throughout the flight he kept bouncing himself back into his seat to try and get an extra few millimeters.

I might accept on a long haul overnight with decent pitch sizes but that's about it.

19 hours ago, scarboroughwa said:

Man in the sky? Heaven? The ark? Adam and Eve f****** 

Adam and Eve isn't true?!?

Bloody hell. I liked the idea of a fit bird in the nud walking about eating apples.