Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

People who ride horses. 

The annoying way they expect the whole world to revolve around them..all cars to slow down, dogs to be kept away, right of way. Don't go on the bloody road then.  

And if they are off-road in the countryside..they just look smug and expect you to wave and get all excited like they are royalty..so self-satisfied like they've tamed a wild beast themselves.  

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

There's also the danger that no-one ever gets to benefit. Average life expectancy is over eighty, which makes your kids around sixty. The priorities of the average sixty year old are to make sure their kids are alright so they start making plans to pass the money down!

I think the issue of entitlement goes far bigger than inheritance. We've had people at work taking time off sick because it's their entitlement rather than them being particularly ill. Like a rest for them!

Most kids grow out of the 'it's not fair' phase. For some, it lasts a lifetime.

My mate used to work as a postie...

He was allowed 12 days sick a year and took them all,as did most of his colleagues.

I get what you are saying about the inheritance, but not being someone who is particularly financially driven i'd rather my mum and dad enjoy life. I do understand their concerns that if they end up in care the home will be lost, i dont like the thought of something i know they had to work hard for to pay disappearing overnight because of illness.

41 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

People who ride horses. 

The annoying way they expect the whole world to revolve around them..all cars to slow down, dogs to be kept away, right of way. Don't go on the bloody road then.  

And if they are off-road in the countryside..they just look smug and expect you to wave and get all excited like they are royalty..so self-satisfied like they've tamed a wild beast themselves.  

39 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Oh..and they s*** everywhere...but no its fine...its a horse so it's not a problem! (The horse not the rider?)

Ive mentioned this before, but been told 'its ok its just straw', yuk, dont tell me that when im walking or cyclng and trying to avoid it, especially if its been raining.

19 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

My mate used to work as a postie...

He was allowed 12 days sick a year and took them all,as did most of his colleagues.

I get what you are saying about the inheritance, but not being someone who is particularly financially driven i'd rather my mum and dad enjoy life. I do understand their concerns that if they end up in care the home will be lost, i dont like the thought of something i know they had to work hard for to pay disappearing overnight because of illness.

On the care front I know it seems unfair, but it costs around £40,000 per year to provide full time care. No government could ever devise a system of taxation which could pay for that and so it will always be down to individuals to fund anything decent in old age.

It's not a nice thing to have to think about but the sooner we look at savings and/or insurance to provide for it, the better chance we have of keeping hold of property.

The random thing which annoys me here is the number of false dawns we've had whereby government make a statement on care caps, only to retract them when they realise either the maths don't work or, more often, that they might turn off their typical voters.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

On the care front I know it seems unfair, but it costs around £40,000 per year to provide full time care. No government could ever devise a system of taxation which could pay for that and so it will always be down to individuals to fund anything decent in old age.

It's not a nice thing to have to think about but the sooner we look at savings and/or insurance to provide for it, the better chance we have of keeping hold of property.

The random thing which annoys me here is the number of false dawns we've had whereby government make a statement on care caps, only to retract them when they realise either the maths don't work or, more often, that they might turn off their typical voters.

Yep I agree with what you say. There is no ideal solution.

I have made suggestions to them of down sizing to free up equity, then clear off on a round the world holiday etc but for them its their home so i respect that.

14 hours ago, Strange yearnings said:

This annoys me. The current and incorrect use of "liking" when used as a progressive verb as in "I'm liking it". This has only really been around since 20 years ago.  Never came across it before. The correct form is "I like it"

I agree, but im liking it is still more preferable to 'its sick'.

On 25 August 2017 at 10:31, Wolfie said:

I took delivery of a new tent yesterday, from Amazon.........with no poles. It wasn't packed properly - like someone had taken it out, removed the poles and couldn't be arsed to put it back as it was.

The nice Irish gentleman on the phone last night, however, didn't seem to understand why I wasn't willing to accept a 25% discount if I agreed to keep it.

Suggestions welcome for a pole-less tent......

....or if anyone has just received tent-less poles, then PM me.

Thats a Brexit tent.

no Poles.

Inheritence- ummm.

just had my brother and his wife get my 90 year old with dementia to change her will from 50/50 to me and him, to 1/3 to him, 1/3 to his son, 1/3 to me.

If anyone likes punching people, i've got a job for you.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Inheritence- ummm.

just had my brother and his wife get my 90 year old with dementia to change her will from 50/50 to me and him, to 1/3 to him, 1/3 to his son, 1/3 to me.

Surely if your brother wants to pass money to his son he can do it out of his half

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Inheritence- ummm.

Talk to a lawyer, if your mum has dementia it could be argued that she is not fully aware of her actions and her son and daughter-in-law have influenced her.  If this proceeds down the legal route the costs will, most likely, come out of your mothers estate.

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Yep I agree with what you say. There is no ideal solution.

I have made suggestions to them of down sizing to free up equity, then clear off on a round the world holiday etc but for them its their home so i respect that.

Paul:  I don't know how old your parents are nor the value of their house, your family's financial situation or whether you have siblings, but it sounds to me as if they need some professional advice if they are worried about paying for care in their old age.

The payment system for care in old age is simple in theory - very broadly it's means tested (currently, if you have assets over roughly £23k then the local council don't have to fund you and you pay for yourself) but the system does vary depending upon whether you want care in your own home or care in a care home (see the problems Theresa May got into in the last election).

But there are ways around the system.  For example, depending upon how old they are (and therefore roughly how long they have to live) they can make over the ownership of their house to a child and continue to live in it. They should aim to do that at least 7 years before any council would assess their financial means for care payments, but it would have to be done legally. For example, (if their house is worth a reasonable amount) they could plan to take out an annuity to pay care home fees, especially for the one that lives the longest - that would cost a large amount of money but might also make sure that a good amount is left.

The majority of older people do not go into care homes during their lives and the average length of stay in care homes is falling (now around 18 months even with increased numbers of people with dementia) but the numbers of people receiving care in their own homes and/or going into assisted flats is on the increase - there are likely to be options around your mum and dad.

The chances of any government coming up with an insurance based system to fund elderly care is, I think, remote.  Not because the systems are impossible to devise but because not enough people will buy the insurance policies for care ahead of their old age and therefore insurance companies - they've all had such products in the past - won't create them.  

3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Talk to a lawyer, if your mum has dementia it could be argued that she is not fully aware of her actions and her son and daughter-in-law have influenced her.  If this proceeds down the legal route the costs will, most likely, come out of your mothers estate.

I can't be @rsed.

I just regard him now as my ex-brother.

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

Inheritence- ummm.

Not legal, she probably doesn't have the mental capacity to make that decision, you could get your solicitor to check it out.

Burglar Alarms.

If someone's robbing your house, letting the whole street know it's being robbed isn't going to do anything. I'm not going to risk my life for your CD player.

On the other hand, your dog setting it off every ten minutes whilst you are out will result in a brick through the window.

17 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Burglar Alarms.

If someone's robbing your house, letting the whole street know it's being robbed isn't going to do anything. I'm not going to risk my life for your CD player.

On the other hand, your dog setting it off every ten minutes whilst you are out will result in a brick through the window.

Everyone ignores them, just like car alarms. I guess if you have some fancy system that links through to the police etc its not so bad.

Set up a couple of motion activated webcams in the house, easy done for very low cost, can send you an alert if activated with an image of what activated it. Ring the police and they will promise to be there within 6 weeks.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Everyone ignores them, just like car alarms. I guess if you have some fancy system that links through to the police etc its not so bad.

Set up a couple of motion activated webcams in the house, easy done for very low cost, can send you an alert if activated with an image of what activated it. Ring the police and they will promise to be there within 6 weeks.

....except the burglar, in my experience. I was burgled twice while I lived in Worksop. 

First time when I didn't have an alarm. They must have been in the house for hours. Properly ransacked the place & made off with everything of any value, pretty much. Police finally came round 3 days later.

Second time with an alarm (same house). Grabbed the first thing they could (DVD player) & scarpered. 

Still not a nice experience but a lot easier to deal with the second time.