Matchday Programme?

LesterRam

Matchday Program?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Matchday programmes – beginning of the end?

One of the oldest football traditions could be no more.

Some EFL clubs want to stop printing match programmes for every game.

The Football League has been asked whether publishing one for each league match should continue to be a requirement next season.

There’ll be a vote in June which could decide their fate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/43959769

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Used to buy them but haven't for years.

Didnt realise it was a requirement, thought it was just a thing clubs did for revenue.

Can't remember the last time I bought one and at £3 (?) a pop not likely to again, other than special matches such as the play-off final - so unlikely to build up a large collection. Eventually fewer fans will buy them, clubs will increase the cost so even less of a market, to the point where the whole programme thing becomes unsustainable.

3 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Slim it down to about 24 pages and charge £1. No need for full colour glossy A4 magazines full of adverts for £4.

Bring back the Green 'un anorl.

I think that would be a winner. Having the squad sheet for the other team is handy, a couple of bits to read and small poster for the kids. There's not a lot of point in putting loads of content in when it all goes up on the website anyway.

I think there's something about a lot of print media where it's gone for offer more for higher price point (how much is a Sunday paper these days?) When lots of people preferred the "I" for 20p or the free metro.

Makes me laugh the amount of content they give away on Twitter purely for “engagement” numbers. Player interviews, stats etc. Decent info to consume on a matchday, why not package it up and sell it (digitally)?

In the past I'd buy one at every game,  loved the Ram newspaper.

Now days the only time I buy one is because my wife asks me to get her a programme and thats only one at the start of the season and one from the last match of the season. Even after buying one I won't bother reading it for more than a couple of minutes.

So if the match programme is scrapped, there'd be no complaints from me.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

I use to buy away match ones, then late 90s they all seemed to become the same format.

Personally they died two decades ago.

PS I was gutted when they stopped printing the Green un, funny how thongs change.

?

Sorry 

Archived