Rowett is staying so...

sage

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And totally the right decision for him to be here next year too. You can see the way he wants to play , which is sit , tight be organised without the ball and be quick on the counter and incisive in the final third. 

In that case I'd like to see us sign an all round powerful striker (Nouha Dicko springs to mind ) some quality out wide (Bakary Sacko maybe) quality left back (George Friend ) maybe a tad optimistic see how the funds are.

It makes sense for him to stay, if we are up against FFP restrictions and will have to manage recruitment around that, his style of play will enable us to consolidate mid table whilst we regroup our finances. 

I don’t think anybody in reality would expect MM to sack a manager that only 3 months earlier he gave an extended contract to, and probably had clauses in his contract to protect him from such an eventuality.

The good news is that if we are recognising that flaw in GRs ability, and taking recruitment away from him, there is still hope that we are also taking the coaching away from him....SM could still come to save the day, and he could be left to the one thing he has excelled at, post match interviews ?

Failing that, we unfortunately won’t be challenging for promotion again any time soon, however I also beleive that we won’t be facing relegation, roll on mid table obscurity for a season or two.

To be honest I’m not too sure what I think that can add to what has been said over the past few days. The only thing I can think of is after the week or so we’ve experienced...the last thing I think we need is the news of one of Rowett’s men. Fully understand it’s not on a side that influences the team too much but it still doesn’t feel right. It’s  dragging the in/our camps further apart.

What I’ve found after defeats, on here especially, is that the voices of criticism have been varied but mostly thoughtful and bring up excellent points. Now looking back at one of the problems I’ve found this season is I think there’s not been enough criticial voices directly to him/the squad. Now I’m not saying we should be slaughtering them further, we have our places in which to vent, but I can’t think of a media interview where he’s even been made to feel slightly uncomfortable. 

My point is that I think he needs someone around him who’s a bit point of view, not necessarily part of his coaching staff but someone who’s more hands off who can bring different ideas. Whether he’s too comfortable or too stubborn I’m not too sure, but I think someone who’s not ‘his man’ might be a valuable asset (it might also blow up in smoke too, but I think I’ve probably made my case before this post that I’m not too bothered if that happened).

Bring in a director of football? That’s probably what I’m trying to say...

...and a more critical local media who ask questions the fans are actually talking about. 

EDIT: ahhh forgot to link to the original thread point. Sorry, I think he needs someone around him a bit different to what he has. Rowett is a good manager, but I think he might need something extra to make him ‘next level’

...and bloody play Chris Martin!

10 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

To be honest I’m not too sure what I think that can add to what has been said over the past few days. The only thing I can think of is after the week or so we’ve experienced...the last thing I think we need is the news of one of Rowett’s men. Fully understand it’s not on a side that influences the team too much but it still doesn’t feel right. It’s  dragging the in/our camps further apart.

What I’ve found after defeats, on here especially, is that the voices of criticism have been varied but mostly thoughtful and bring up excellent points. Now looking back at one of the problems I’ve found this season is I think there’s not been enough criticial voices directly to him/the squad. Now I’m not saying we should be slaughtering them further, we have our places in which to vent, but I can’t think of a media interview where he’s even been made to feel slightly uncomfortable. 

My point is that I think he needs someone around him who’s a bit point of view, not necessarily part of his coaching staff but someone who’s more hands off who can bring different ideas. Whether he’s too comfortable or too stubborn I’m not too sure, but I think someone who’s not ‘his man’ might be a valuable asset (it might also blow up in smoke too, but I think I’ve probably made my case before this post that I’m not too bothered if that happened).

...and a more critical local media who ask questions the fans are actually talking about. 

Apart from rampage who has been quite vociferous in his criticism our style of play and performances of late,the rest of the radio derby team might as well be on the company payroll....meeks not the word.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Apart from rampage who has been quite vociferous in his criticism our style of play and performances of late,the rest of the radio derby team might as well be on the company payroll....meeks not the word.

Probably don't want to get banned again like they did after Pearson left.

1 hour ago, sage said:

It is now obvious with the announcement of his friend as head of recruitment, that Rowett will be in charge next year.

You may not agree with that but it appears to be the case. 

It also seems likely that Rowett will want to play a similar style of football to the one he has employed so far at Derby and Brum. Again that may not appeal to everyone but seems likely.

On that basis, how do people feel that Rowett can improve the team/squad to get the best results within that style and within the FFP budget?

Yes you are right, he will be at the club next season and most likely persist with the same style of football. In which case the scouting system needs to get up to speed, start doing their jobs properly and identify players who can adapt to Rowetts tactics. A good start would be buying players who can run and put in a tackle. 

20 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I was getting quite annoyed with Ramage earlier in the season, mainly because his Vydra love in was helping to quash any chance to have a relevant debate about our style of play earlier in the season. The same debates we are having now feels a little bit too little too late.

But I’m fairness he is at least calling them out on it.

18 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

Probably don't want to get banned again like they did after Pearson left.

I’ve long thought the problem with RamsTV felt a bit like a power play and that they are going to end up controlling their own media.  It felt like everyone is toeing a company line this season to me. Critical voice is important, and no matter what, if that voice is on the payroll of the club it will never feel authentic 

If he stays and we stick to this rigid 4231 (not my choice but hey ho) then we need youthful players in the main, forming:

An experienced backup goalie and sell Roos 

A backup right back to replace Baird, preferably more attacking

Young Cover for Keogh as a ball player, and young competition for Davies to eventually replace him, both replacing Pearce and shackell

A new lb (attacking) to replace Forsyth and olsson

A more energetic box to box midfielder with bite to play alongside Huddlestone, replacing Johnson in the squad (and I’ve have said Hanson too)

Get Kasey Palmer back in

Sign a new right winger with goal threat and competition for Lawrence on the left (loan?)

New first choice striker who can hold the ball up, replacing Nugent and Jerome 

Thats a lot of players in and out. Would like most of the incomings to be younger, personally I’d look at some of the ex prem academy players from the likes of United and Chelsea who’ve been on loan a lot, they tend to not be too expensive but means we can build for the future. Make sure we bring back energy and desire.

Think the premise for the thread might be flawed. The guy is acting as a consultant only and as such his services can be most likely dispensed with without a deal of fuss. Equally, this may be the club saying, 'OK Gary, do it all your way and bring in whoever you want to help, but you'd best be sure to get it right'. I can understand why folk are interpreting this as Rowett's position being cemented but I'm not certain that's actually the case. I guess it's all about how this appointment is interpreted. 

One positive that can safely be drawn is that both the club and the manager have identified player recruitment as an area that needs addressing and I think even on a forum as divided as this one, we can probably all agree on this particular point.

13 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I was getting quite annoyed with Ramage earlier in the season, mainly because his Vydra love in was helping to quash any chance to have a relevant debate about our style of play earlier in the season. The same debates we are having now feels a little bit too little too late.

I’ve long thought the problem with RamsTV felt a bit like a power play and that they are going to end up controlling their own media.  It felt like everyone is toeing a company line this season to me. Critical voice is important, and no matter what, if that voice is on the payroll of the club it will never feel authentic 

I've been told that the people on RamsTV have full freedom of expression, and literally the only rules governing the pundits and commentators is to be Ofcom compliant, and not use naughty words.

39 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

EDIT: ahhh forgot to link to the original thread point. Sorry, I think he needs someone around him a bit different to what he has. Rowett is a good manager, but I think he might need something extra to make him ‘next level’

...and bloody play Chris Martin!

Cue a 300 word post..! :lol:

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've been told that the people on RamsTV have full freedom of expression, and literally the only rules governing the pundits and commentators is to be Ofcom compliant, and not use naughty words.

Bugger?

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

But there’s two things to that. 1) if I’m employed by a company I think it would be a very difficult job to sit there and be critical of tactics or anything. You are still essentially a cog in the machine and there’s only so far you can go.

2)  Even if you are given that freedom, it’s alright criticising but if it’s got a ramstv logo on the screen can it ever feel legitimate? The fans/the media and the club have to be a seperate entities to me, as seperate voices. If you start mixing them into one there’s that sense of control that to me isn’t healthy. Don’t get me wrong I love the idea of streaming the matches, but I really don’t want review shows, match analysis or anything that is the club giving a fan a viewpoint.

9 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Cue a 300 word post..! :lol:

Ha, I cut it down too! Was trying to say we are all going round in circles on various threads about whether we want Rowett or not. I didn’t want to particularly add to that debate  so I tried to lookat it a slightly different way. 

Atleast I tried...

32 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Thats one of the reasons I value the independence of this site,everyone has an opinion but no-one has to stay on message with the club's wishes....that's never healthy for a forum.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

But there’s two things to that. 1) if I’m employed by a company I think it would be a very difficult job to sit there and be critical of tactics or anything. You are still essentially a cog in the machine and there’s only so far you can go.

2)  Even if you are given that freedom, it’s alright criticising but if it’s got a ramstv logo on the screen can it ever feel legitimate? The fans/the media and the club have to be a seperate entities to me, as seperate voices. If you start mixing them into one there’s that sense of control that to me isn’t healthy. Don’t get me wrong I love the idea of streaming the matches, but I really don’t want review shows, match analysis or anything that is the club giving a fan a viewpoint.

How would you feel if the club selected a fan at random to be part of the Monday review show, would that be better, and maybe give a more rounded and impartial view of the previous weeks events?

Archived