Rowett is staying so...

sage

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

What a squad. Not a Cameron Jerome in sight......:lol:

Don't worry, with Gary staying he'll have that put right.....

as @Rosythramcorrectly points out - that IS the title of the thread :lol:

People should take off their Rose coloured spectacles excuse the pun and just remember that after years of being in the Championship and failing to get promoted we are where we are and Rowett is staying .

Rowett will be judged on his tenure at the end of the day. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, curtains said:

Never know what you actually want as regards Rowett .

Thoughts. 

Maybe you missed my post the other day?

I wasn't sure when he was appointed that he was the manager to build on the "Derby Way" and get us playing fast attacking football, but was willing to give him the chance to show what he could do, and in the last few games of last season there were some good signs, his pre-season talk sounded good. There were flashes of some good stuff in the friendlies, then when it came to the league games we changed tactics from what we had been playing (most games were 4-4-2 or a variant of it) we went 4-3-3, he gave it 2 games and decided that it wasn't going to work, he has stuck to 4-2-3-1 regardless, even if the performances were worse than the opening 2 games, there seems to be players that get dropped on a whim and others that have to have a string of poor performances before it even crosses his mind to drop them. There was peculiar situation with Russell earlier in the season, the **** ups in the transfer windows, saying that we weren't going to sign aging players the proceeded to bring into the building 4 players that matched what he said we weren't going to do (half the players he has brought in). Now I don't have much of a problem with who we sign as long as they improve the team, and most have been good, but it is the saying one thing and doing another. Same as tactics and formations, we were supposed to be flexible and have these different tactics and styles for different oppositions but hasn't been evident, especially after the Jan transfer window, where we have got rid of the only striker that was different to the others to  be able to change it up a bit. And I won't talk about the performances on the pitch other than a win by digging in and battling is a enjoyable in small amounts, like possibly 4 times a season, but when most wins are like that it does not feel sustainable and can be rather tiresome.

Having said all that I think he needs at least another 6 months, the rest of this season and the summer window to show that he can improve on the performances. I am a big believer of if you take care of your performances results will follow. I am not fussed about 1,000,000 passes or aimless punts, there needs to be a blend of short passing and longer passes. We need more mobility in midfield, it would be nice to get some youth and energy in the team.

Ultimately I, and like to think all Derby fans, want us to win every game, I know it is not possible. The manor of the defeats is what matters, and can be taken on the chin if we perform, and doesn't feel like we are bogged down not knowing where the next win will come from.

Sorry for the long post, just putting it all out there.

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Maybe you missed my post the other day?

I wasn't sure when he was appointed that he was the manager to build on the "Derby Way" and get us playing fast attacking football, but was willing to give him the chance to show what he could do, and in the last few games of last season there were some good signs, his pre-season talk sounded good. There were flashes of some good stuff in the friendlies, then when it came to the league games we changed tactics from what we had been playing (most games were 4-4-2 or a variant of it) we went 4-3-3, he gave it 2 games and decided that it wasn't going to work, he has stuck to 4-2-3-1 regardless, even if the performances were worse than the opening 2 games, there seems to be players that get dropped on a whim and others that have to have a string of poor performances before it even crosses his mind to drop them. There was peculiar situation with Russell earlier in the season, the **** ups in the transfer windows, saying that we weren't going to sign aging players the proceeded to bring into the building 4 players that matched what he said we weren't going to do (half the players he has brought in). Now I don't have much of a problem with who we sign as long as they improve the team, and most have been good, but it is the saying one thing and doing another. Same as tactics and formations, we were supposed to be flexible and have these different tactics and styles for different oppositions but hasn't been evident, especially after the Jan transfer window, where we have got rid of the only striker that was different to the others to  be able to change it up a bit. And I won't talk about the performances on the pitch other than a win by digging in and battling is a enjoyable in small amounts, like possibly 4 times a season, but when most wins are like that it does not feel sustainable and can be rather tiresome.

Having said all that I think he needs at least another 6 months, the rest of this season and the summer window to show that he can improve on the performances. I am a big believer of if you take care of your performances results will follow. I am not fussed about 1,000,000 passes or aimless punts, there needs to be a blend of short passing and longer passes. We need more mobility in midfield, it would be nice to get some youth and energy in the team.

Ultimately I, and like to think all Derby fans, want us to win every game, I know it is not possible. The manor of the defeats is what matters, and can be taken on the chin if we perform, and doesn't feel like we are bogged down not knowing where the next win will come from.

Sorry for the long post, just putting it all out there.

Must of missed your other post  

This is a good  post and it’s very well thought out even though I don’t agree with all it’s sentiments.

I see Rowett as work in progress but I’m not going to support the guy unequivocally for ever and a day if he fails  to produce for DCFC  

Its clear Gary has a lot to do to win you around . 

Football Managers have a lonely difficult job but Gary seems to endure it with humility 

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Must of missed your other post  

This is a good  post and it’s very well thought out even though I don’t agree with all it’s sentiments.

I see Rowett as work in progress but I’m not going to support the guy unequivocally for ever and a day if he fails  to produce for DCFC  

Its clear Gary has a lot to do to win you around . 

Football Managers have a lonely difficult job but Gary seems to endure it with humility 

Which parts do you disagree with? 

27 minutes ago, rynny said:

Which parts do you disagree with? 

The Derby Way is a load of ******** I mean what is it is the  old type Dutch total football or is it the Brian Clough football with hard men and skillful players to boot same as Dave Mackays team  

Is the Derby way Jim Smiths type football etc etc .

What is the Derby Way 4-4-2 ,4-3-3 ,4-2-3-1 because it’s not about systems it’s about good players and suiting those good players into playing a particular way to win football matches.

Rowett doesn’t drop players for the sake of it he only does it when it’s necessary because players aren’t performing.

What  could he have done about Russell he wanted to go to America for a new life  .

The age of players was dictated by FFP as I distinctly remember him saying they looked at another CH a lot younger but very expensive and decided Curtis Davis was a cheaper option  .

Ledley came because we missed out in Keif which was not  Rowetts fault as  wasn’t Lookman who would have replaced Russell and as you know January window is never easy  

Winnall getting a cruciate was not  Rowetts fault either .

Martin going I didn’t  agree with but he has pulled no trees up at Reading and Jerome is not working at the moment  etc etc etc 

I realise some of the point you didn’t raise but I could go on and on  

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

The Derby Way is a load of ******** I mean what is it is the  old type Dutch total football or is it the Brian Clough football with hard men and skillful players to boot same as Dave Mackays team  

Is the Derby way Jim Smiths type football etc etc .

What is the Derby Way 4-4-2 ,4-3-3 ,4-2-3-1 because it’s not about systems it’s about good players and suiting those good players into playing a particular way to win football matches.

Rowett doesn’t drop players for the sake of it he only does it when it’s necessary because players aren’t performing.

What  could he have done about Russell he wanted to go to America for a new life  .

The age of players was dictated by FFP as I distinctly remember him saying they looked at another CH a lot younger but very expensive and decided Curtis Davis was a cheaper option  .

Ledley came because we missed out in Keif which was not  Rowetts fault as  wasn’t Lookman who would have replaced Russell and as you know January window is never easy  

Winnall getting a cruciate was not  Rowetts fault either .

Martin going I didn’t  agree with but he has pulled no trees up at Reading and Jerome is not working at the moment  etc etc etc 

I realise some of the point you didn’t raise but I could go on and on  

The Derby Way comment was my understanding of what Mel meant, the attacking play and effervescent performances. Just didn't think Rowett is the type of manager to go with that.

He has dropped players after a win and not played them again for quite a few matches, then others have kept their place regardless of result and performance.

Like I said, not overly fussed about age it is the going against what he said. If there was a chance he may have to go that way and sign older players then say nothing at all. 

The Russell incident I was referring to was at the start of the season where he was omitted from the squad. Did that have a part to play to him leaving?

11 minutes ago, rynny said:

The Derby Way comment was my understanding of what Mel meant, the attacking play and effervescent performances. Just didn't think Rowett is the type of manager to go with that.

He has dropped players after a win and not played them again for quite a few matches, then others have kept their place regardless of result and performance.

Like I said, not overly fussed about age it is the going against what he said. If there was a chance he may have to go that way and sign older players then say nothing at all. 

The Russell incident I was referring to was at the start of the season where he was omitted from the squad. Did that have a part to play to him leaving?

Well as far as can remember Rowett was always complimentary about Russell until he found out he had been talking to Kansas 

Anyway like I say Rowett will be judged at the end of the day by success or failure. 

Archived