Rowett is staying so...

sage

It is now obvious with the announcement of his friend as head of recruitment, that Rowett will be in charge next year.

You may not agree with that but it appears to be the case. 

It also seems likely that Rowett will want to play a similar style of football to the one he has employed so far at Derby and Brum. Again that may not appeal to everyone but seems likely.

On that basis, how do people feel that Rowett can improve the team/squad to get the best results within that style and within the FFP budget?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve not seen enough glimpses of how he wants to play to assess how to improve the squad in order to get there. All I’ve seen is one dimensional garbage. It worked for a few months, so you could argue he has the right squad to achieve that. If that’s his end goal though, we’re in trouble. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

It is now obvious with the announcement of his friend as head of recruitment, that Rowett will be in charge next year.

It also seems likely that Rowett will want to play a similar style of football to the one he has employed so far at Derby and Brum. Again that may not appeal to everyone but seems likely.

On that basis, how do people feel that Rowett can improve the team/squad to get the best results within that style and within theFFP budget?

We need to add some energy to the team, not Wiemann energy, energy with a purpose and with some end product, also we need some steel in midfield (not him but someone of the Cattermole mould, when they beat us he was all over the place snapping into tackles), finally a striker, behind Vydra Nugent is next on 7, then Winnall, Lawrence and Russell. Says it all really.

9 minutes ago, sage said:

On that basis, how do people feel that Rowett can improve the team/squad to get the best results within that style and within the FFP budget?

As a professional club I would presume that there would be some kind of end of season review that takes place. What went well? What didn't? What needs to be done to improve? etc. Whether Mel keeps GR or not, I do not think he will be happy at all with what has happened since GR signed the new contract. I would not be surprised if we stick with GR but I think it will be a mistake if we do.

Whoever is manager next season though, I think we need to improve the style of football. If we do, then fans like me will be more accepting of poor results. This should include being more flexible with the formation we use and being more prepared to take the game to the opposition by attacking. We should be dictating the 'tempo' of more games IMO by controlling possession better, rather than just always trying to hit teams on the break. I think we need to be more adventurous including leaving at least one, preferably two quick players up front when we defend corners and deep free kicks. I would also like to see us bringing in some younger players (from the Under 23s?), on loan if necessary.

If you don't attack as a team then the wingers need to be be improved on. 

I'm thinking Vydra needs moving forward and a similar player with a good engine who can drop back to protect the DM's more.

A better LB.

Depth. Depth and depth and depth. The dip in quality between starting 11 and the second string shadow side is huuuuuge. 

2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I wouldn’t bet on it. 

By 'next year', if he means next season, then I think he will be here at the start of next season, but if we start next season like we've finished this one, then he'll be gone by November. 

So if by 'next year' the OP means next calendar year, then no, I would think we'll be on to the next one. 

If we lose every game between now and the end of the season, I very much doubt Rowett will be here next year. I have to say, it is looking likely he will be, but I wouldn't be so confident in him being there either. If another, better manager becomes available I could see Rowett going.

I think our aims this season changed after the summer window. I don't think Rowett got the overhaul that he wanted, which in turn led to the decision to loan out numerous of the under 23s as our squad was too big. Instead of being a transition season, it became a half hearted effort from January onwards due to our good position. I believe the pressure to get promoted has proved too much for both the manager and the squad this season. I also believe Rowett has tried to do too much, too big a machine for him to manage without more support.

What we need for next season is that youthful energy, that lack of fear. Players playing who have something to prove, a desire to better themselves with the club. Too much of our current squad is playing at their level, coasting along. We certainly need to get more out of Lawrence. Rowett needs to adapt his style to achieve that. There were signs pre-Christmas that there was a style which could work. So it isn't all a nightmare.

I can't for one moment think that Mel and Rowett will sit down at the end of season and be proud of it. The last few games of this season and the first few transfers in/out will be very telling. I would keep Vydra but I understand why he may need to go. Carson and Davies are the blocks to build around, all the experience you need is there. After that...

That is as positive as I can be.

18 minutes ago, curtains said:

This site isn’t representative of the Rowett situation. 

Most Rams fans want him to stay I have spoken too

I would say that is.

theres a group of fans adamant he should go, another group adamant he should stay, and then the middle ground of people who are a bit unsure, and can swing either way for a bit depending on the latest result. 

I find that to be the case whether it’s on here, other message boards, Facebook, my mates, at work or anywhere else.

the thing is the manager out people always tend to be more vocal, especially after a result like Saturday.

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm thinking Vydra needs moving forward and a similar player with a good engine who can drop back to protect the DM's more.

A better LB.

Depth. Depth and depth and depth. The dip in quality between starting 11 and the second string shadow side is huuuuuge. 

I agree. IMO there is a massive difference in the quality of our subs bench now (the people on it!). In the first half of the season we had a great 'bench' and looked capable of changing the game with a few subs. I don't feel the same anymore.

We need a big clear out, but I think Rowett has brought some good players in. Davies Huddlestone etc, got the best out of Vydra, I’d like us to sign Winnall and then 2/3 younger players and bringing others like Thomas into the squad! 

33 minutes ago, Alpha said:

A better LB.

Well our 2nd string must be a pub team then ?

Archived