Utilising the U23s on the first team bench.

Boycie

Today was the best opportunity to get young Luke Thomas some game time.

The first subs used could of included Luke, Vydra’s reaction on getting subbed told me he wasn’t changed due to injury.

So with this opportunity, why give the lad 7 mins?

Come on, what’s the point? Are we serious about the academy?

If we can’t offer them more than 7 mins at 3-0 up then something’s not right.

I can’t see many more games where we’ll have a 3 goal luxury to bring these lads gently in.

Sorry for the rant, but I want the Academy to work for us.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, it was well voiced in those around me.

5 mins here and there is nothing, perfect chance today to give him 25 minutes, time enough to get into the game and some left over to make an impression.

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The first subs used could of included Luke, Vydra’s reaction on getting subbed told me he wasn’t changed due to injury.

I can’t see many more games where we’ll have a 3 goal luxury to bring these lads gently in.

Dead right. It’s been something that GR has been a bit rubbish with all season imo.  Nuge should have been subbed earlier in loads of games. Not because he’s crap but because it would not have him worn out.  If we don’t have any younger who are good enough then there are some people making a good living for little or no end product.

I think who he brought on was to some extent dictated by who he wanted to rest.

I think Rowett would have brought him on a little earlier had we managed the game better from 65 to 80 minutes. 

Gary is always ultra cautious with his subs. Also think he could have been wanting to give Lawrence as long as possible to build his confidence. 

Could have swapped Weimann for Thomas though - he wasn't having his best game.

Loved that even in the brief time he was on the pitch Thomas made that great little run.

Personally, I would also want to see Lewis Walker coming on from the bench instead of Jerome but that ain't going to happen!

Sith Happens

Its a difficult one. I think the Jerome and Palmer for Nugent and Vydra were obvious ones, but I was hoping to see Thomas for longer. I do get the wait though, get all 3 subs on too early then get an injury and you are stuffed.

10 hours ago, Boycie said:

It’s all about balls. I agree 100% with your post and they have as good as admitted the academy is behind schedule. My views on the academy are well documented but yesterday was about the result only. I would cut Rowett some slack on this occasion. 

Thats my hope about yesterday but I still have nagging doubts about the size of Rowetts balls   

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

Gary is always ultra cautious with his subs. Also think he could have been wanting to give Lawrence as long as possible to build his confidence. 

Could have swapped Weimann for Thomas though - he wasn't having his best game.

Loved that even in the brief time he was on the pitch Thomas made that great little run.

Personally, I would also want to see Lewis Walker coming on from the bench instead of Jerome but that ain't going to happen!

I would have to disagree re Walker. As poor Jerome has been, Walker would need to.play with someone else at this point.

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

3:0 win and we still find something to rant about.

I think my rant was aimed at the Clubs intended use or view of the Academy rather than a opinion on this performance of the team or result.

I think the result was a much needed one and a huge relief in the ground.

Huddlesone was majestic, my man of the match, Lawrence and Weimann good too, an all round solid performance against a team near the bottom. We know what Sunderland did to us, so this wasn’t a game to be taken lightly.

But at 3 nil up and replacing a winger? Hardly going to make the wheels fall off is it?

Posted something v similar in the derby v Bolton thread but got shot down somewhat. 

I agree that we need imo to take opportunities to bed in new pairings even a slightly tweaked system to explore options.

The endless like for like subs have been done and they don't tell us anything. All we end up practicing with our subs is our complete inability to adjust when we might actually need to chase a game.

Please don't tell me we needed to "close out" a game at home to a woefully out of form team when we only have a 3 goal cushion. I mean there's cautious but.....:lol:

It’s all about context and as you’ve said replacing a winger with a winger isn’t going to make a difference to the team dynamic.  Much harder to blood centre midfielders and defenders were mistakes are easily punished but Thomas should have come on 10 m8nutes earlier at least. 

Sith Happens

One Issue I have with U23's is the timing of the games, quite often they have been the night before a first team game and yesterday on the same day.

That is crazy planning, I am sure there will be videos for Gary to see, and Wassall will report back, but neither are the same as actually watching a game yourself. I would have thought Gary would try and get to some of these U23 games to see for himself what was happening.

37 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I think my rant was aimed at the Clubs intended use or view of the Academy rather than a opinion on this performance of the team or result.

I think the result was a much needed one and a huge relief in the ground.

Huddlesone was majestic, my man of the match, Lawrence and Weimann good too, an all round solid performance against a team near the bottom. We know what Sunderland did to us, so this wasn’t a game to be taken lightly.

But at 3 nil up and replacing a winger? Hardly going to make the wheels fall off is it?

Except if you use all your subs too early and then get an injury it’s self defeating 

12 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

Dead right. It’s been something that GR has been a bit rubbish with all season imo.  Nuge should have been subbed earlier in loads of games. Not because he’s crap but because it would not have him worn out.  If we don’t have any younger who are good enough then there are some people making a good living for little or no end product.

Agree re nugent

But it isn't just GR, which derby manager since Nigel has actually given youth at the this club a chance.... and that was part down to where we were as a club

As a club we're in a conundrum clement, Pearson, mclaren both times have had found this 

u have a chairman and a fan base that all but demand we're in at least the top six but at the same time they expect u to be putting your fair in 2 - 3 young lads with no competitive football behind them at all.

i agree yesterday was a brilliant chance and Thomas should have got longer imo but then you also have other professionals on wacking contracts that u have to think about be it to keep them fit if called upon or to keep them in that shop window

its a tough balancing act and while we have a bloated squad because of our turnover in managers then until some big contracts are got rid of them our youth accamdemy will suffer 

18 minutes ago, curtains said:

Except if you use all your subs too early and then get an injury it’s self defeating 

I agree, but Thomas could of come on with the first two subs leaving a spare for cover.

20 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I agree, but Thomas could of come on with the first two subs leaving a spare for cover.

Yeah why bring Palmer on at all? He's not our player. Could've brought on Thomas for Vydra and given Lawrence some minutes at #10. Developing our players should take priority over giving the loanees minutes.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

Yeah why bring Palmer on at all? He's not our player. Could've brought on Thomas for Vydra and given Lawrence some minutes at #10. Developing our players should take priority over giving the loanees minutes.

I know what you mean, but with lots to play for and the play offs hopefully coming up Palmer is likely to be involved more than Thomas.

Archived