Utilising the U23s on the first team bench.

Boycie

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

The prospects we have now need to be brought on slowly. 

For what’s its worth I think Luke did very well when he came on and it will do him the power of good  

I watched him when the final whistle went, he looked a bit like I would, a bit of a daze wandering around looking for hands to shake.

It was nice to see a few of our older lads patting him on the back,(maybe bringing his wind up) I bet he enjoyed it though after.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I watched him when the final whistle went, he looked a bit like I would, a bit of a daze wandering around looking for hands to shake.

It was nice to see a few of our older lads patting him on the back,(maybe bringing his wind up) I bet he enjoyed it though after.

Last time he came on Rowett told him to go on the left and he went on the right or something like that. It must of been great to get on yesterday for the lad. 

Hope he does well for us. 

15 hours ago, Boycie said:

Today was the best opportunity to get young Luke Thomas some game time.

The first subs used could of included Luke, Vydra’s reaction on getting subbed told me he wasn’t changed due to injury.

So with this opportunity, why give the lad 7 mins?

Come on, what’s the point? Are we serious about the academy?

If we can’t offer them more than 7 mins at 3-0 up then something’s not right.

I can’t see many more games where we’ll have a 3 goal luxury to bring these lads gently in.

Sorry for the rant, but I want the Academy to work for us.

Agree. At 65 -70 mins the game was flat. We were discussing bringing on thomas, but i predicted that wouldn't happen until the 85th minute.

thats gary.

its pointless.

27 minutes ago, curtains said:

What after Sunderland. 

Bolton hit the post and Carson pulled off two good saves after 2 subs came on 

Other posters have been saying what great game management by Gary Rowett - don't think about bringing on anything but wizened experience cos we needed all our craft.

You're saying that even with all that caution it wasn't perhaps as convincing a 3-0 as it might seem?

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Other posters have been saying what great game management by Gary Rowett - don't think about bringing on anything but wizened experience cos we needed all our craft.

You're saying that even with all that caution it wasn't perhaps as convincing a 3-0 as it might seem?

I’m saying it was convincing but after the substitutions we lost our rhythm.

Vydra and Nugent were working their socks off. 

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Sorry buddy but it was you that described it as a rant.

Yeah, and I take it back. No biggie.

I’m a Rowett fan by the way, just voicing my opinion.

Its the Academy i’m Interested in, the pathway to the first team that’s been spoken about, getting value for the investment.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m more than happy we won and don’t want to be called anti Rowett.

Hey, I’ve even bought some Rowett trainers.

20 hours ago, curtains said:

What after Sunderland. 

Bolton hit the post and Carson pulled off two good saves after 2 subs came on 

The three points were still safe. We were dozing off. Thomas on a sub might have sparked us into action.

the academy players need time to acclimarize to first team football until they believe in their own minds that they are good enough.

coming on against a knackered bolton for 5 minutes, when most of our lot are just playing out time won't really help.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The three points were still safe. We were dozing off. Thomas on a sub might have sparked us into action.

the academy players need time to acclimarize to first team football until they believe in their own minds that they are good enough.

coming on against a knackered bolton for 5 minutes, when most of our lot are just playing out time won't really help.

I beg to disagree as it’s a bit awe inspiring to play in front of 25k rather than 1k .

But hey ho we all have our own ideas on this. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I beg to disagree as it’s a bit awe inspiring to play in front of 25k rather than 1k .

But hey ho we all have our own ideas on this. 

So when do they get 20 minutes?

do we have to be losing 3-0?

19 minutes ago, RamNut said:

So when do they get 20 minutes?

do we have to be losing 3-0?

You are getting a bit hung up on this. 

We had already used 2 subs in Palmer and Jerome .

No way do you use 3 subs unless you are losing with 20 minutes to go and risk going down to 10 men through an injury. 

Sith Happens
15 minutes ago, curtains said:

You are getting a bit hung up on this. 

We had already used 2 subs in Palmer and Jerome .

No way do you use 3 subs unless you are losing with 20 minutes to go and risk going down to 10 men through an injury. 

I agree, i think nuge and vydra coming off made sense, we have two games coming up this week so best to rest them and the game was won.

If he had used all 3 subs then we got an injury on 75 minutes and ended up conceding, even drawing the game he would get slaughtered for this.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 09:55, Paul71 said:

One Issue I have with U23's is the timing of the games, quite often they have been the night before a first team game and yesterday on the same day.

That is crazy planning, I am sure there will be videos for Gary to see, and Wassall will report back, but neither are the same as actually watching a game yourself. I would have thought Gary would try and get to some of these U23 games to see for himself what was happening.

One of the main problems with the u23s playing around the same time is that players like Thomas will get hardly any game time at all. He sits on the bench for the first team hoping to get on but at the same time he's not able to play many minutes for the 23s because the schedules clash

Archived