Wanchope Day

Day

Must of seen it over a thousand times now, quite happily watch it a thousand times more. All you old'uns getting soppy with your Mackay's, McFarland's and Hector's probably won't understand, but this guy is my Derby hero.

Show me a signed shirt from the good old days @loweman2 I know you must have one knocking around in that museum of yours.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, David said:

Must of seen it over a thousand times now, quite happily watch it a thousand times more. All you old'uns getting soppy with your Mackay's, McFarland's and Hector's probably won't understand, but this guy is my Derby hero.

Show me a signed shirt from the good old days @loweman2 I know you must have one knocking around in that museum of yours.

Here are a few mid term nostalgia trips for you @David

IMG_0238.jpg.189517f73439ebd0bc8b54f27e2ad084.jpg77B7157A-7F21-4FAF-B2D9-5374750BB166.thumb.jpeg.dbf7952b1a0b8ed2586dd53acf11b4c3.jpeg1B6B08F3-ECF1-4463-B315-D7780E30EDA6.thumb.jpeg.88e1e7b9b38847878fda862457fbc038.jpegIMG_1106.thumb.JPG.132082a44a604eaa251b262e909b7697.JPGFullSizeRender.jpg.b0922ede716f4ad79eec827348b70ca3.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg.6e340d43b2fdc24b5252272926ee9a25.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg.5bf386bd4164c6ef171eb1e405df260d.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg.d2ca424676b6a09b8b52c456e335b177.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg.76afd00e8bc24b6120ed141a27e6c615.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg.47d6da7134d4cc5d8b78c64b0db3933a.jpgIMG_0148.thumb.JPG.4b08b521839f17617be04339f3dfd466.JPGF457FD1E-2B6F-42C4-BF6D-AAC1F44770BA.JPG.0367c308fd3345a425baf9901d30fedc.JPG

The were great days. When I said I was a Rams fan, people would say the Rams were their 2nd favourite team... such was flowing attacking football we played back in those days.  No move was complete without a backheeled pass.  Even Deon Burton started doing them for goodness sake.

Looking back with hindsight, you can see the stamp of Steve McClaren's style throughout that team. 

1 hour ago, David said:

I've only got one signed shirt and it's one worn by Wanchope. My mate did a refurb on a restaurant a few years back and the owner took it out of a frame and gave it to him and he passed it onto me.

23 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I've only got one signed shirt and it's one worn by Wanchope. My mate did a refurb on a restaurant a few years back and the owner took it out of a frame and gave it to him and he passed it onto me.

I've got Gary Teales last shirt @ Watford.. Wanna swap?

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Remains one of the best away days of all time, not just the match, the win or that goal, the whole day was top as well.

You’re not wrong Utch, was fortunate to be with 20 or 30 other Rams in a corporate lounge, hosted by Wild McGuinness and Mclair was in there signing autographs.

Wilf doing his usual comedy routine was taking the p out of the Derby team surnames (bunch of nobodies like) got to Paulo and said who’s this one chop, lamb chop, chip chop. Ha, ha so funny Wilf<_<

Took great pleasure walking up to him at half time and saying hey up Wilf, bet you remember his bleeping name now :lol:

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

You’re not wrong Utch, was fortunate to be with 20 or 30 other Rams in a corporate lounge, hosted by Wild McGuinness and Mclair was in there signing autographs.

Wilf doing his usual comedy routine was taking the p out of the Derby team surnames (bunch of nobodies like) got to Paulo and said who’s this one chop, lamb chop, chip chop. Ha, ha so funny Wilf<_<

Took great pleasure walking up to him at half time and saying hey up Wilf, bet you remember his bleeping name now :lol:

Great memories Zigzag. 

I posted my day a few years ago but it’s worth a brief reminder.....

Minibus  from Utch (including the two gents you know from West Upper, ask them about it on Saturday:lol:) parked up at Stretford labour club, cheap beer, pool, darts, cards and cheap cobs.

The match.

Back to the club, drinking and singing until gone 8pm, there was another minibus load of Derby in there plus 300 mancs!!!

Very happy and still singing when we fell off the bus.....

7 hours ago, David said:

I'm fairly sure that those fortunate enough to have watched their team twice become champions of England in the 70's would be as capable as anyone in appreciating talents of latter day players. In the grand scheme of things, the team put together by Jimmy Smith was an exciting & memorable time for all Rams fans. 

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

79D682F0-C631-46F0-AD46-C42AE63A046B.jpeg

Absolute class.

The looks of disbelief and incredubility in the Stretford end are priceless. Although Chris Kamara (bottom left) seems quite pragmatic- he knows he just seen the best goal at Old Trafford ever. 

If Wanchope had never scored again he'd still be a hero of mine. That said, he never looked back and for 2-3 years he was brilliant and scored v Manu again, Liverpool, Arsenal the lot.

I've posted it before but I was never a prouder fan than when Des Lyman and Alan Hansen took time out to praise owd Wanchope and Hansen even called him a hero and footballer of the year. And even smiled. Which for him, was nothing short of incredible! Hard to believe these days when I'm watching Huddersfield draw 0-0 with Stoke but for a few years it was actually worth watching motd. (putting a vhs cassette in the video so I could watch it after the pub - which shut at 11pm).

As for that Derby team. Crafted by a genius into a really slick side. Proving you don't need to be an attacking team, a possession team or a stoic counter attacking team; just be a good all round team that can defend and attack. 

#wanchopeoftheday

Archived