Return of the loans, keep, sell or loan again

Day

Return of the Loans  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

End of the season inching closer, players out on loan will be returning in the next couple of seasons, would you keep, sell, or send out on loan again?

I’ve not included the youngsters in this or Shackell and Bent as they are out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd sell all but Bryson, he could do a job as a back up as long as he is happy in that sort of role, maybe I am being too sentimental because I really like the bloke.

I'll probably get crucified for this but I'd consider giving Blackman another chance assuming we are still in the Championship, if we get an offer fair enough but I wouldn't actively try to sell him. I reckon he could offer us something out wide.

Shackell, Bent presumably just disappear at the end of the season - maybe also Baird and Roos, both of whom come to the end of their contracts. Suspect Hanson too, though actually I still want him to stay, just something about his progress at the clubs through from the Under 9s that makes me want to believe in him, and something about the fact that he's not signed a new deal with 7 games to go that suggests he's departing. 

Lose the full wages of Bent, Butterfield, Bryson, Blackman, Baird, Shackell, Martin, Roos - you'd hope that would give Rowett some financial room to build (with potentially incoming fees for Martin, Bryson, Blackman -  as for Butterfield, I do think the "sell" option is a bit optimistic. Is there a "pay off" choice)

Think you also have to look at the contracts ending June 2019 - as June 2018 will probably the last realistic chance to get a transfer fee for them - that includes Ollson and Johnson.

With the youngsters, the real question is whether Rowett will use them - Guy, Elsnick, Thomas, Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Hanson - all potentially first team squad next season but they need a manager who has faith in them. If not, better for their career to go out and play somewhere else..

Players have been loaned out to then be sold elsewhere the following season, whilst I understand it’s a easier said than done kind of poll, it is just that’s a internet poll to gauge fans thoughts, if you see a future for them at the club.

It’s possible Tel Aviv may want to keep Blackman, can’t say I have followed his loan that closely but he’s been scoring goals out there, picking up awards. Warnock may want to keep Bryson around, bit of experience on the bench. Butterfield, Barnsley may see an opportunity to grab him on the cheap, bring him home so to speak. Martin is a strange one, but it’s not unthinkable Clement might want to turn that into a permanent, will be aware of what he did for Derby.

3 minutes ago, singaporeram said:

Shackell, Bent presumably just disappear at the end of the season - maybe also Baird and Roos, both of whom come to the end of their contracts. Suspect Hanson too, though actually I still want him to stay, just something about his progress at the clubs through from the Under 9s that makes me want to believe in him, and something about the fact that he's not signed a new deal with 7 games to go that suggests he's departing. 

Lose the full wages of Bent, Butterfield, Bryson, Blackman, Baird, Shackell, Martin, Roos - you'd hope that would give Rowett some financial room to build (with potentially incoming fees for Martin, Bryson, Blackman -  as for Butterfield, I do think the "sell" option is a bit optimistic. Is there a "pay off" choice)

Think you also have to look at the contracts ending June 2019 - as June 2018 will probably the last realistic chance to get a transfer fee for them - that includes Ollson and Johnson.

With the youngsters, the real question is whether Rowett will use them - Guy, Elsnick, Thomas, Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Hanson - all potentially first team squad next season but they need a manager who has faith in them. If not, better for their career to go out and play somewhere else..

Hanson's 23 this year. His chance has gone.

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Hanson's 23 this year. His chance has gone.

They probably said the same about Jamie Vardy’s chance of lifting the Premier League Trophy and heading to a World Cup when he was 23 at Halifax.

I'd have all out permanently only because there's a reason GR has loaned them out in the first place, if he doesn't see them in his plans then there's no point having them on the wage bill.

I doubt we'll sell all of them though, that'll require somebody actually being willing to buy them. I think we'd be able to sell Bryson. The other three may be too expensive for the teams that would want them. I expect Butterfield, Martin and Blackman will be back out on loan just so we have at least some of their wages covered.

I voted to sell all 4, but only Butterfield would worry me if he was still around next season. I just feel that he burned his bridges when he went (I’m not a sensitive flower, it’s more for his own good than mine). None of the others came out with any comments that could be considered against the club.

I voted to sell all but Nick Blackman.

He's the only one that I could see being a Rowett type of player. Ironically, he's probably done best in his loan spell - maybe Tel Aviv will want to buy him. A lot depends on whether he likes the lifestyle.

Martin I would have back in a heartbeat if we played a system to suit him but it breaks said heart to  see him used as bit part player so go find a home with a new club with our thanks.

Bryson probably won't ever rediscover his best form and Butterfield, we rather ruined him so I'd like him to get a fresh start elsewhere.  He may have to drop a division to do it so Barnsley would be a good place, I agree, @David

Not just the returning players but I'd be in favour of a mass clear out if we miss out on promotion.

We have to many aging players on fat contracts that (assuming they don't get promoted) will have failed (numerous times in some cases).

Get the wages under control, reduce the age of the squad, spend a couple of years mid-table to get rid of the perennial bottler tag, then go again.

Having said that, I voted to keep Bryson for sentimental reasons.  He seems to have the drive and determination that I'd like to keep at the club longer than his playing days.

I feel the options are as if we are playing Soccermanager online! - and not at all realistic.

Chris Martin is the only one we can realistically put SDell next to.. as in he would be in demand and teams would pay for him.

TYhe rest that we want to sell, we can only loan out until their contracts are up.

Butterfield may have 95% sell, but no one will buy him without loaning him until his contract runs out first, same goes for Blackman.

Bryson would not get you any sort of fee at his age. So again the liklihood is he is kept, or loaned out until his contract expires.

Has he played enough for Cardiff to want to buy him. In the premier league do they see him as good enough for the premier league. I imagine the answer is no.

1 hour ago, David said:

They probably said the same about Jamie Vardy’s chance of lifting the Premier League Trophy and heading to a World Cup when he was 23 at Halifax.

They probably didn't. Did Vardy amass a couple of dozen appearances (mostly as a sub) over 5 years in 3 or 4 different positions?

Voted to sell all if poss ,, they would not be out on loan if they were in rowetts plans ,, it s that simple ,, no point keeping players the manager doesn’t want if we are struggling to afford to bring in ones he does ,,,

not seen anything about Martin at reading ,, how is he doing ? He will be right for somebody and he has been a good player for us in the past so wish him well 

Archived