The real problem

Mafiabob

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't work in football very often but I understand that medium/ large finance projects which Derby is, need the correct people at the helm to run the departments. Ours has been wrong since Tom Glick left. He ran a very tight ship and had great skills in commercial department building. Almost all his team were hand picked by him and got on with the job. Since leaving, we have gone back to local people running the show from within. It's highly unlikely to find this level of skill set needed to run finance, commercial, events, merch, IT, catering, hospitality and the football side all within the local community... And yet that is pretty much what we do. I've worked with some of these people. They are pathetic and I have no clue how they are inside our club helping to run it. It would take most of the morning to put definition on my last statement about working with them. I gave up and didn't offer to renew my services further. Sad, because it's the club I support and loved to be a part. Needless to say, when the Sam Rush episode became public I was not at all surprised. 

I saw numerous quotes from ex employees saying how it was impossible those in directors positions wouldn't know Rushes game. I agree, but if you are in a position you know you are lucky to be in and you possibly know you are not competent at then you probably will stay quiet. 

Im happy for Mel to be owner. He is a good bloke with a good heart for the club. But he needs to stop letting incompetent employees get away with it and carry on working at DCFC... Stop letting these fools continue doing the same thing over and over again against all the reviews of statistics. It's ridiculous. 

Get some people in who know what they are doing. 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think one of the most underratted aspects of Mel's tenure is that he's been incredibly unlucky. It must be a source of huge frustration to him (and us). Taking over on the day of the playoff final, that was tough. Signing George Thorne only for him to do his cruciate that first pre-season game. Both Hughes and Bryson getting badly injured the first half of the first match of the following season. Even recently we didn't get a load of decisions at the start of the year that would have seen us cement an automatic slot after the craziness of the Lookman deal not going through in the transfer window despite both us and Everton agreeing and wanting it.

But we have: a great academy; about the most highly rated young English manager; are in the playoff positions in a season of transition despite a run of poor form; and have great plans for developing the ground further. And most of all we have a wealthy chairman who loves the club and gives it incedible support at massive personal cost to try to make it a success so we'll all be happy.

Fans are so short-termist. At the start of the season, had you shown them the table as it stands tonight, most would have bitten your hand off for it. Because we've over-performed for part of the season people are now disappointed, but that's down to a lack of perspective. I can still see us getting promoted this year.

I think we as fans (myself certainly included) need reminding of this more often. All I wanted from us at the beginning of this season was to see a clear change in style/mindset, and to be pushing for the play-offs - not battling for second!

This was always supposed to be a transition year. Hopefully with another summer under his belt, Rowett with have this team in shape. 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

I don't work in football very often but I understand that medium/ large finance projects which Derby is, need the correct people at the helm to run the departments. Ours has been wrong since Tom Glick left. He ran a very tight ship and had great skills in commercial department building. Almost all his team were hand picked by him and got on with the job. Since leaving, we have gone back to local people running the show from within. It's highly unlikely to find this level of skill set needed to run finance, commercial, events, merch, IT, catering, hospitality and the football side all within the local community... And yet that is pretty much what we do. I've worked with some of these people. They are pathetic and I have no clue how they are inside our club helping to run it. It would take most of the morning to put definition on my last statement about working with them. I gave up and didn't offer to renew my services further. Sad, because it's the club I support and loved to be a part. Needless to say, when the Sam Rush episode became public I was not at all surprised. 

I saw numerous quotes from ex employees saying how it was impossible those in directors positions wouldn't know Rushes game. I agree, but if you are in a position you know you are lucky to be in and you possibly know you are not competent at then you probably will stay quiet. 

Im happy for Mel to be owner. He is a good bloke with a good heart for the club. But he needs to stop letting incompetent employees get away with it and carry on working at DCFC... Stop letting these fools continue doing the same thing over and over again against all the reviews of statistics. It's ridiculous. 

Get some people in who know what they are doing. 

HR/recruiting or on the field scouting is key to long-term success.

I'm afraid we are failing in both of these.

7 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

HR/recruiting or on the field scouting is key to long-term success.

I'm afraid we are failing in both of these.

And have been for quite a while. I look at, say Chelsea for example. Do their directors and senior management team come from Fulham Broadway district?? Highly doubtful. 

Rush once invited me to a presentation for the work I had done in Q1 2015. I flew in from USA...no other reason to be in UK other than this meeting. The first hour of the meeting I had to watch a director of DCFC and former CEO of DCCC exchange golf swing demonstrations. We then went for lunch and started the presentation which was interrupted after 30 mins and we got back to it the following morning. Unprofessional and not good enough. 

Morris is the problem IMO. His tenure is turning into a total disaster.

Remember when he said Clement was "our next Sir Alex" only to walk into the dressing room, then sack him a month later?

Giving Mac his wish and granting Martin a new deal, only to sack Mac a month later without getting the chance to work with Martin again.

Hiring Pearson, letting him get out "the bad eggs" only to sack him in Oct.

Giving Rush a new deal - we all now know what he was doing behind the scenes and MM nor Pearce clearly hadnt a clue the going ons. Why? 

Throwing millions into Moor Farm and we have absolutely sod all to show for it, oh wait we do.... a sand pit.

New deals to Forsyth, Pearce (wtf?) and Thorne. 

The extensions to Bent and Baird without the club having a say

New deal to Rowett the second a club show any kind of interest

No potential youngsters signed, to be improved and potentially sold for a profit.

Moaning about FFP, despite Morris being the sole blame for getting into this mess.

Sam Rush mugging us off

Drones(!)

Its all been bad press, besides the Carson "Rams Hero" video.

8 hours ago, utisbug said:

Grow up kids. MM is not the problem. Pumped in far more dollar than most at the helm of other clubs, get a grip.

Money isn’t everything. I could throw millions at players if I had the money, but if I then stuck Phil Brown in charge of the lot of them does that make me a good chairman? You’ve got to get decisions right and MM hasn’t, his investment has gone to Waste because if a lack of strategy.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Money isn’t everything. I could throw millions at players if I had the money, but if I then stuck Phil Brown in charge of the lot of them does that make me a good chairman? You’ve got to get decisions right and MM hasn’t, his investment has gone to Waste because if a lack of strategy.

There hasn't been investment though, you expect a return of some kind on a capital expenditure. It's more of taking his own money and pouring it into a money pit with nothing to show for it apart from huge holes on our balance sheet.

I still can't believe how Morris ever came to amass his personal fortune, there's a huge difference between selling on Internet dating sites and running a football club. The question I would ask Morris if I had the chance is does he now regret getting involved with Derby.

15 hours ago, reveldevil said:

He stands in the South stand with Jono and the finance director tonight, enough, stop with the fookin gimmicks, stop deflecting blame onto the fans or past employees, just do your job as owner and make sure the people below you in the organisation do the same.

Bliss. :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, cosmic said:

The bloke clearly doesn't know his arse from his elbow. Says one thing then contradicts himself a few months later. No wonder the (numerous iterations of) staff he's employed are constantly stumbling to perform - how can they do their job effectively when the guy at the top is so unstable?

They are very good at their jobs.

they might have accidently have paid out £500k to Mrs Ince without thinking to check with Mel but there is some world class nodding going on. 

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

Morris is the problem IMO. His tenure is turning into a total disaster.

Remember when he said Clement was "our next Sir Alex" only to walk into the dressing room, then sack him a month later?

Giving Mac his wish and granting Martin a new deal, only to sack Mac a month later without getting the chance to work with Martin again.

Hiring Pearson, letting him get out "the bad eggs" only to sack him in Oct.

Giving Rush a new deal - we all now know what he was doing behind the scenes and MM nor Pearce clearly hadnt a clue the going ons. Why? 

Throwing millions into Moor Farm and we have absolutely sod all to show for it, oh wait we do.... a sand pit.

New deals to Forsyth, Pearce (wtf?) and Thorne. 

The extensions to Bent and Baird without the club having a say

New deal to Rowett the second a club show any kind of interest

No potential youngsters signed, to be improved and potentially sold for a profit.

Moaning about FFP, despite Morris being the sole blame for getting into this mess.

Sam Rush mugging us off

Drones(!)

Its all been bad press, besides the Carson "Rams Hero" video.

As much as I hate to say it ,hard to argue against that .Doesn't make a good C.V. that,despite the  benefit of hindsight .

15 hours ago, G-Ram said:

We were better off with the american owners & clough the mac part one 

stabilised the club financially, had some good young player and everything seemed promising now we have an average age of 30odd & a massive wage bill. Mel morris might as well have got a time machine & took us all back to the jewell days id be made up if he went 

I disagree. 

We are in good hands with Morris, but I feel his trust has been misplaced in a number of people and that we're paying the price for it now. None of us more so than him. 

We weren't better off consistently mid-table, with no real chance of promotion...etc. As bad as this season is, we're still doing better than we ever did under Clough. In all honesty, if we reverted back to those years now then I think Pride Park would be Jacksonville Pt 2. 

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

My mistake - what I meant was that he was persuaded by the Americans to buy into the club on the eve of the playoff final, and was immediately very unlucky.

I thought he said he took the gamble to buy in pre-playoff final as opposed to after the result, as pre-final was costly but cheaper than the Prem price?

56 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

My mistake - what I meant was that he was persuaded by the Americans to buy into the club on the eve of the playoff final, and was immediately very unlucky.

So when does he assume any sort of responsibility for anything? 

Unlucky? No incompetent..

The real problem for me is we have players who are clearly capable of putting in better performances than last night .If we had a team of footballers then you could understand when a technically harder piece of play didn't come off.

However we are basically a team of hard working [according to Gary]and technically average so to my mind we should be more consistent.

I get the feeling this is what he was trying to achieve but it's gone wrong somewhere along the line. 

Archived