Derby & Forest joint statement on social media posts

Day

Nottingham Forest and Derby County are joining together to take a united stand against obscene, abusive and hate filled social media posts and singing ahead of the match between the two sides at the City Ground on Sunday 11th March, kick-off: 2:30pm.

The two clubs are determined to clamp down on social media users who post comments of an offensive character and will be taking relevant action against those users. Individuals should also be aware that in many instances such posts will involve breaches of the criminal law.

Full story: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/03/joint-statement-ahead-of-east-midlands-derby

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

I applaud this but it should be a thing all the time. No one should be able to get away with it regardless of the fact its online or they are hidden away in a crowd.

In fairness I don't recall any offensive chanting in recent times, have forest fans ever chanted about the murders in derby? I don't know, and as far as i know the Doughty chant, although appalling was the one occasion. It does make me wonder what they can possibly do though when its something like the Doughty chant that wasn't just a few people. I suppose one way would be to accept you cannot punish hundred or thousands of people, but that an example will be made of  "a number" of fans identified and ban them.

I don't really read twitter so I don't know what gets said on there though, when I have read it it is full of nasty comments on almost any subject, some people lead really sad lives. 

2 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Yes agree with this, but need to distinguish between banter and abuse 

banter is fine 

abuse never fine or appropriate 

Abuse is fine too - just depends on the topic. Obviously some stuff is just in ooor taste and shows a distinct lack of class but abusing Flosrist fans, excluding the obvious topics, is good sport. 

I hope we don’t chant the nasty stuff and if they do, we’ll come out of it so much better by not retaliating  

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, RaichCarter said:

Abuse is fine too - just depends on the topic. Obviously some stuff is just in ooor taste and shows a distinct lack of class but abusing Flosrist fans, excluding the obvious topics, is good sport. 

I hope we don’t chant the nasty stuff and if they do, we’ll come out of it so much better by not retaliating  

I suppose it depends on your definition of abuse that is fine?

The chanting is in poor taste and does nobody any credit. I agree it shouldn’t happen. 

Twitter and Facebook are easier to police and I’d be happy if the idiots were held to account. I don’t use Twitter much any more because of the abuse. I’m not a delicate flower and indulge in banter but some people have no concept of what is too much. 

i thought law was supposed to be clear cut to be effective.  Define offensive.

Is it perhaps not so much what is said or written, but how it is perceived?

Sorry, but i won't have any cops, Derby or Forest call me a criminal for expressing my views,

not that i am planning any abusive posts, but it's the principle of the thing you know

Am all for fans playing nicely and don't like any nastiness around football and support initiatives meant to tackle that problem, but there has to be a better way

Forest fans have chanted about Philpott every time since they were found guilty. The only other team's fans who have done that are Milwall. Says it all really

Yeah there was some chanting from the Derby end about Doughty at the time, but as far as I'm aware that was just a one-off and no one around me was joining in

21 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Forest fans have chanted about Philpott every time since they were found guilty. The only other team's fans who have done that are Milwall. Says it all really

Yeah there was some chanting from the Derby end about Doughty at the time, but as far as I'm aware that was just a one-off and no one around me was joining in

Ah yes. This is definitely all our fans fault and yours are completely innocent :pinch:

Good luck to the teams on this, but imagine it'll fly out of the window as soon as the game starts

Sith Happens
39 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

Come on, we all know the line. Chants about death and tragedy are not acceptable in any walk of life.

In that case I think what you refer to as abuse is probably just banter.

Sith Happens
22 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Just now, Red_Dawn said:

Ah yes. This is definitely all our fans fault and yours are completely innocent :pinch:

Good luck to the teams on this, but imagine it'll fly out of the window as soon as the game starts

I haven't heard the philpott chant but not saying it hasnt or doesnt happen, it must really for it to have been mentioned. The Doughty chant wasnt just a few people it was a lot of people and I was ashamed of those that did, in fairness those around me actually booed our own fans for doing it, but to my knowledge was a one off and Derby actually issued a public apology for it which might have made the fans realise what morons they were.

Neither set is of fans is innocent or totally at fault, we both (and all clubs) have their own set of muppets and morons. We can say about the fans who wrecked our toilets but then look at the idiots who vandalised fawaz's car.

I think chants about worst team in history, champions of europe you'll never sing that are fine, and we will chant about forest living in the past etc...that sort of stuff is fine and what banter should be about.

I am actually quite surprised at the kick off time. Funny how every year we are told it has to be an early kick off to prevent drinking, and because Sky say jump we are kicking off at what is almost a normal kick off time, i would be amazed if some pissed up idiot doesnt run on the pitch from one or both sets of fans.

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

But changing the word retard to treetard is more than acceptable.

Would you say that if you had a child with learning difficulties who had been bullied by being called a retard, a mong, etc?

There is no clear line. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Nottingham Forest and Derby County are joining together to take a united stand against obscene, abusive and hate filled social media posts and singing ahead of the match between the two sides at the City Ground on Sunday 11th March, kick-off: 2:30pm.

The two clubs are determined to clamp down on social media users who post comments of an offensive character and will be taking relevant action against those users. Individuals should also be aware that in many instances such posts will involve breaches of the criminal law.

Full story: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/03/joint-statement-ahead-of-east-midlands-derby

I see there is a nice picture of a well know poster on here, on that link..

@B4ev6is One for you mate. I hope you were just singing Derby, Derby. Looks like you are lovin it. :thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Would you say that if you had a child with learning difficulties who had been bullied by being called a retard, a mong, etc?

There is no clear line. 

I think almost any sort of banter/abuse can relate to someone in a different way - fat, skinny, ginger, etc - doesn't make it any easier but it's not personal. And I think that's where the difference lies - the intent. 

Archived