The Fans’ Responsibility

Leicester Ram

Stood to right of goal - there were a great gang behind me who never stopped trying to start songs "There's only five of us singing" and we did try to keep the songs going around me. Another 5 or so further down had a go and then a group to our left singing.  So three different songs at times competing with each other.

It's hard to create a wall of noise without some organisation, but others complain every time someone tries to get the singing a bit more planned. 

I thought we did ok today. Wish someone would come up with a decent song for Tom Lawrence though - he needs a little love!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think you were behind me then mate:lol: Dunno what was going on there, I kept saying I can’t pissing sit down because then I can’t see, compeletky distracted me from the game! Was part of the reason behind my half time rant on here. All due respect you can’t really expect to get everyone to sit down away, and if you’re going to try bloody well start at the front, I can’t sit unless they are! I missed their first goal trying to sort **** with a steward, it’s no wonder our atmosphere was so poor when we were arguing whether to sit or stand!

To be fair didn’t see anyone giving abuse to one another too much, but it clearly it upset some people and seemed unfair to both sets. Not sure of the solution outside the safe standing debate and yeah you’re right about start at the front, either enforce it or don’t. 

It’s minor stuff for many I guess, but as you had your rant, it proves it’s not totally trivial and I appreciate not everyone wants to stand. So there were pockets of singers in the middle and did seem to affect supporters efforts; just saying as I saw it.

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

To be fair didn’t see anyone giving abuse to one another too much, but it clearly it upset some people and seemed unfair to both sets. Not sure of the solution outside the safe standing debate and yeah you’re right about start at the front, either enforce it or don’t. 

It’s minor stuff for many I guess, but as you had your rant, it proves it’s not totally trivial and I appreciate not everyone wants to stand. So there were pockets of singers in the middle and did seem to affect supporters efforts; just saying as I saw it.

It’s more the fact that it distrupts watching the game when you’re up and down while the stewards fail to sort it properly. Like you said earlier I really don’t mind sitting or standing, but you have to do what’s happening in front. No point in stewards moaning at me cause I’m the last line standing at the back, just didn’t seem to me they knew how to solve it.

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Stood to right of goal - there were a great gang behind me who never stopped trying to start songs "There's only five of us singing" and we did try to keep the songs going around me. Another 5 or so further down had a go and then a group to our left singing.  So three different songs at times competing with each other.

It's hard to create a wall of noise without some organisation, but others complain every time someone tries to get the singing a bit more planned. 

I thought we did ok today. Wish someone would come up with a decent song for Tom Lawrence though - he needs a little love!

I wasn’t far behind you then. Thought we were crap today as a force. Always think the away fans are louder as they’re all together and ‘away’ but today? Apathetic 

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

Stood to right of goal - there were a great gang behind me who never stopped trying to start songs "There's only five of us singing" and we did try to keep the songs going around me. Another 5 or so further down had a go and them a group to our left singing.  So three different songs at times competing with each other.

Around the Icelandic national team a single supporter formed a club called Tólfan (The Twelfth Man)  It was founded in 2007 to address the problem of chanting and singing in unison and to unite supporters.  The club's membership has grown dramatically in the last years and it is now an essential part of the setup of the national team and a go between the supporters and the team.  Maybe some kind of version of that could work here? 

Having followed the rams for many a year both hone and away I beleive some have selective memory.  Before SMs first season our following was very low in numbers, the support was as it is now, good when we are winning poor when not.  This was the same for the years before, I remember going to Plymouth for a  FA cup game that we lost and the atmosphere in ththe away end being vile.  

This is not something new, at Barnsley under Smith fans chanted to sack him, Stern John getting roundly booed,  even games under the cox era our vocal and numbers weren’t great.  Personally I have never booed (don’t get the noise for a start) abused a player,  or anything like that and leave my views to in between games however would never be critical of those that are.  I also don’t beleive that it has the detrimental effect in the players performance that some are alluding to, the difference however between the SM and this era is that for the former the players attacked from the off, they got the crowd involved, they attacked and they did it with high tempo football.

If this team does the same, the crowd will get behind them, if they sit back the crowd will get nervous, they don’t feel involved and that for me is the difference.

Gave up on our lot years ago, 

Barnsley away in the 08/09 season before Jewell was sacked, argued with 25% of the away end trying to get them to back the team instead of the toxic vitriol aimed at them. 

Cant be assed anymore. We’ve normally got a minute away following which deserves a pat on the back but in general we take embarrassing number away most seasons to say the gates we get at home and even the home crowds, despite their size, are pretty embarrassing in terms of “support”.

We’re so far up our own arses it’s unreal. 

I don’t go away often but the support is usually pretty good except for a few morons. Our home atmosphere has become toxic.

Now we have 6 home games left (possibly 7 including playoffs). It isn’t a lot to ask fans for 6 or 7 games only to leave any negativity at the door and try and cheer and support the players even when they’re passing to the opposition. When we concede a goal, how about everyone standing and raising the team to go again! Some people will call it blind faith but given we support a team that most of the time hurts us and doesn’t achieve much, isn’t blind faith exactly what it is?

There’s too many fans sitting in the ‘I’ll cheer/sing when they give me something to cheer/sing about’ camp. I think that’s it in a nutshell. I’ve been going to pride park since it opened and bbg many years before that and I’m getting to the point of wondering if I want to bother any more. This has been a great season, I love a league where anyone can beat anyone, why wouldn’t you, football is a competitive sport. But the bloody fans are hard going. I’m sorry for Mel and the fan groups who have tried to motivate and create unity because there’s too many fans who think they’re short changed if we’re not playing like they see on Sky Sports Premiership. 

Or

Some kids grow up happy, some kids grow up broken and angry, and some kids never grow up, and some kids want to help, some kids want to hinder, some kids make mistakes and some kids learn from their mistakes.

If we all choose to be together, help together, sing together, be positive together, want the club to be successful together by working happily together we will get the unity that is rewarded by promotion, free season tickets and much more, but some kids are NEDS and never ever grow up and don't want to grow up and will especially not like or accept being told by happy people how to improve their lives and the relationships they have with other people.

I love Derby County Football Club, therefore I respect Derby County Football Club, and I will always do my best to help the football club I love, by supporting it, loudly, proudly and as positively as I can.

D.C.F.C Love, Life & Unity.

I don’t get this fan responsibility shizzle, particularly the idea that the weight of unrealistic expectation weighs so heavily on the players’ shoulders that, no matter who comes in, they can only perform until Christmas when it suddenly all gets too much for them. 

I don’t think the expectation that we can be competitive in the second division is that unreasonable or unrealistic, given the resources available to us. Others have succeeded with less.

Nor do I see that Derby fans are especially different from others in this regard. Do we have a whole extra level of entitlement because we got to Wembley four years ago and were good in the seventies? Not really. 

51 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I don’t get this fan responsibility shizzle, particularly the idea that the weight of unrealistic expectation weighs so heavily on the players’ shoulders that, no matter who comes in, they can only perform until Christmas when it suddenly all gets too much for them. 

I don’t think the expectation that we can be competitive in the second division is that unreasonable or unrealistic, given the resources available to us. Others have succeeded with less.

Nor do I see that Derby fans are especially different from others in this regard. Do we have a whole extra level of entitlement because we got to Wembley four years ago and were good in the seventies? Not really. 

Hoo-f'ing-rah!

It can't be as simple as we've been unlucky, stoopid, not good enough, poorly managed, etc can it? Nah, it's the fans fault! :lol:

If supporters can't handle draws, then losing week in week out in the prem would be a nightmare.

yet thats what people are sulking about missing out on?

The started of the season was alright, the expectation wasn’t there, we get a sniff of top 2 and some fans start I believe we have to divine right to win every game. We have probably exceeded most fans ecpections for this season, we just need to concentrate on cementing play offs. 

The fans that annoy me the most are the ones you constantly see on the Dcfc twitter timeline who I’m sure hope that we lose just so they post some ridiculous crap for likes. ?ends

The Hoofball Myth

Inaccurate Long Balls
1st, Burton - 57.3
2nd, Barnsley - 53.3
3rd, Ipswich - 51
4th, Millwall - 50.1
5th, Preston - 49.9
----------------------
20th, Derby - 38.7

Accurate Long Balls
1st, Reading - 39.7
2nd, Bristol City - 36.8