The Fans’ Responsibility

Leicester Ram

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I don’t get this fan responsibility shizzle, particularly the idea that the weight of unrealistic expectation weighs so heavily on the players’ shoulders that, no matter who comes in, they can only perform until Christmas when it suddenly all gets too much for them. 

I don’t think the expectation that we can be competitive in the second division is that unreasonable or unrealistic, given the resources available to us. Others have succeeded with less.

Nor do I see that Derby fans are especially different from others in this regard. Do we have a whole extra level of entitlement because we got to Wembley four years ago and were good in the seventies? Not really. 

Isn't that the point though? We are competitive as our league position confirms. It's the expectation that we should be more than simply competitive that is contentious, in my mind at least and that's a highly prevalent belief amongst many Derby supporters.

4 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Our football might be easy on the eye a lot of the time, but it's definitely not hoofball.

Yes your right it definitely is not hoofball The same ones who are saying it is are probably the same ones who were fed up with McLarens tippy tappy football 

15 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Isn't that the point though? We are competitive as our league position confirms. It's the expectation that we should be more than simply competitive that is contentious, in my mind at least and that's a highly prevalent belief amongst many Derby supporters.

I expect everybody wants us to win each game, and from positions like our current one, achieve promotion. That’s not really the issue, is it, it’s a question of how people respond to disappointment. 

Personally, when we’re losing or playing poorly, I tend to feel deflated and go a bit quiet. Others may want to shout encouragement or have a boo and a moan. You can’t really be prescriptive about it, we’re all different. 

1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

I expect everybody wants us to win each game, and from positions like our current one, achieve promotion. That’s not really the issue, is it, it’s a question of how people respond to disappointment. 

Personally, when we’re losing or playing poorly, I tend to feel deflated and go a bit quiet. Others may want to shout encouragement or have a boo and a moan. You can’t really be prescriptive about it, we’re all different. 

You've stated that it's not unreasonable for us to expect to be competitive. My point is that we are. Perhaps I've misunderstood you? And I don't think that pointing out that some expectations are unreasonable is necessarily being 'prescriptive'. I'm not telling anyone how to react to the highs and lows just offering my view on things. I don't imagine for a moment that anyone cares what I think anyway.

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I don't think that pointing out that some expectations are unreasonable is necessarily being 'prescriptive'. I'm not telling anyone how to react to the highs and lows

I don’t think we’re disagreeing, I’m just responding to the idea that fans have a ‘responsibility’ to remain positive at all times, share some of the blame for poor performances if they don’t, and are only negative in the first place because their expectations are unreasonable. 

I don’t think any of that is actually the case. If people stopped moaning about the moaners we’d have less moaning overall, and could just get on with enjoying the game... or not. 

The prescriptive bit is some people telling others that they have to ‘support’ the team with unconditional encouragement. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who’s paid their money and turned up can make of it what they will. 

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I don’t think we’re disagreeing, I’m just responding to the idea that fans have a ‘responsibility’ to remain positive at all times, share some of the blame for poor performances if they don’t, and are only negative in the first place because their expectations are unreasonable. 

I don’t think any of that is actually the case. If people stopped moaning about the moaners we’d have less moaning overall, and could just get on with enjoying the game... or not. 

The prescriptive bit is some people telling others that they have to ‘support’ the team with unconditional encouragement. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who’s paid their money and turned up can make of it what they will. 

In that case I think we can agree to agree  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Just realised I’m moaning about the people moaning about the moaners.

This could be the start of an infinite regression. 

If there's one thing that annoys me it's fans that moan about other fans moaning about the moaners

1 hour ago, rustylee said:

Many fans like to think that they are making a difference. when we win they are the twelfth man and when we aren’t winning it’s because other fans are moaning or too negative personally I don’t think we make a difference either way.

You won’t make a difference if you don’t sing or even clap because you wear gloves. If, however you do vocally support the team you can make a small but significant difference. Ask any professional sportsman or woman if support makes a difference and they will tell you how stupid your post is 

5 hours ago, Doodle said:

You won’t make a difference if you don’t sing or even clap because you wear gloves. If, however you do vocally support the team you can make a small but significant difference. Ask any professional sportsman or woman if support makes a difference and they will tell you how stupid your post is 

Agree with your sentiments Doodle.

At the Leeds game I was embarrassed by the walk out when Leeds scored their second goal. There could well have been a 'fire drill' but this was dirty Leeds for gods sake a team any Derby fan should despise second only to Forest.

There was a time if we had gone a goal down late on or where drawing to such teams as Leeds then the fans would get behind the team to get that equaliser or winner. I recall it happening many times especially at the old BBG.

Now days every error is criticised and the Stadium (South Stand excluded) cannot even raise a chant of 'come on Derby' like it used to, even at Pride Park.

Derby may currently have 25000 'fans' going to games but they do not have 25000 'supporters' -  Sad really. 

Archived