Is the squad better and stronger under Rowett.

Curtains

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the question though ,January has weakened us from what we were pre January but in fairness it’s clear that ourselves and Everton believed Lookman to us was a done deal only to be scuppered very late on and Winnall has gone down with a season ending injury the minute the window closed and yes I know we can say we should have got somebody else in but it’s so easy to overpay and waste money when buying in haste ,god even loans are far from simple these days ,, loan fees , penalties for not giving enough game time and all the can of worms problems that brings to a squad fighting for a place in the team on merit,,

would have really liked us to get the polac from hull when Lookman shafted us but in all honesty can’t say whether we were refusing to overpay ,restricted by finances or rowett just didn’t rate him enough 

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think my points still apply even if you restrict the comparison to last season....selling a vital and prolific forward in ince,Russell leaving leaves us weak on the wing,losing Hughes our most technically adept and mobile midfielder plus the agile,prolific Bryson lost our mobility in the centre.

Add sending Martin out on loan just to finish the job off.

That's why our midfield and attack is weaker than before in my opinion...he have reduced our options in those areas and failed to improve on them.

Bryson hasn’t been agile or prolific for about 3 years. While the general point that our options are down is true, that’s a very poor example, Bryson is finished.

He's certainly made it older!

so long term we are worse off.

left back and wingers need upgrading.

davies, Ledley, Hudds, Jerome and nuge the are all getting on a bit with Baird probably not here next year.

so we probably need a CB, LB, DM, 2 wingers and at least 1 forward who are better and younger than what we have.

i thought before January a winger would suffice with who we currently had. Now with Martin and Russell gone and winnall injured we are weaker for the run in.

3 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

Fair enough that's your opinion.

I would argue that Vydra has more than compensated for the goals scored by Ince, Huddlestone and Ledley have added a far more solid base for a midfield that has previously been weak defensively, especially against better teams.

Bryson has hardly played this season, so not very mobile from the physio table and Nugent, Jerome and Winnall would get into most Championship sides (Martin was loaned before Winnall got injured, so Rowett can't be blamed for that)

I would think the end of season is a better time to compare if the team is better though, not the day after a defeat.

DC got to agree with you Bryson was finished two years ago only so many miles in a midfielders legs he's 32  Rowett  has only had one window he started last nights match with only three players he has signed Its just easy and sentimental to keep bringing up Hughes Ince and Martin they have gone hypothetical to keep thinking were would we be if we still had them players come and others go that's how football works Judge Rowetts this time next season 

1 hour ago, Seaside Sam said:

defo need to sort midfield total lack of creativity ,think we all went misty eyed thinking Thorne was going to be the superstar we thought he would be but,we really do need someone who can actually make things happen,which if truth be told we have needed for a long time now

its up to the weimanns and lawrences of this world to show their mettel if you ask me.

forget creative midfielders played centrally, they are long gone.. and to be frank werent very effective when they had 10 opposition players in front of them.

i think hudds, thorney and ledley have done good jobs, just need to see more courage and a bit of ability in the forward positions alongside Vydra. If weimann was any good infront of goal we would have got something out of last night.

2 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

its up to the weimanns and lawrences of this world to show their mettel if you ask me.

forget creative midfielders played centrally, they are long gone.. and to be frank werent very effective when they had 10 opposition players in front of them.

i think hudds, thorney and ledley have done good jobs, just need to see more courage and a bit of ability in the forward positions alongside Vydra. If weimann was any good infront of goal we would have got something out of last night.

you could say that about vyds last night though

A bit older which isn't necessarily bad. Better in terms of flexibility and all round graft. Better in terms of fire power, composure and resilience.

One reservation, that may be a reflection of age ... I'd like to see games where we well and truly destroyed an opponent. We have beaten teams comfortably, won well, but I'd like to see a game where we "fire at will"  .. There is a bit of "foot off the gas" habit when we are in control. I suppose that might be called game management, I'd argue though that there are times when savaging an opponent adds to an aura which gives a team strength. 

47 minutes ago, Spanish said:

you could say that about vyds last night though

Possibly could but over a period of games vydra has shown he is very effective and quality ,you can’t say that about any of our wide players the odd couple of half decent games at best from them

8 minutes ago, archied said:

Possibly could but over a period of games vydra has shown he is very effective and quality ,you can’t say that about any of our wide players the odd couple of half decent games at best from them

Is it a question that having such an attacking no.10 is quashing the impact the wingers can have in games though

Not questioning the quality of Vydra, more we could be facing a similar problem we had with Ince last year. A great set of goals but it might be hindering others contributions, especially Lawrence where Vydra is pushing where he wants to run into

3 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

My perspective on life is glass half  full...I have to be like that mate, I’m sure you understand why?

You're my feckin hero pal and I really mean that. When I see your posts and think about what you and yours are going through, trivialities such as our league position are put firmly into focus. Hopefully the lads can turn things around a little and bring you and the rest of us a little spring cheer. I believe that they can.

4 hours ago, curtains said:

Ok. 

You are right my glass is half empty. 

I don't see why. We're in a fabulous position - despite a couple of bad results, we're solidifying a play off spot with automatics still a possibility. The only thing we've lost is the 'tippy tappy' style football that you and so many complained about. We're also significantly stronger at the back now. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? When we set a record for home clean sheets I'll agree.

We literally only conceded one goal from open play in 14 games. Just think about that beyond your McClaren tinted glasses for just a moment. 14 games! 14!! Criticism of our attacking prowess at the moment is justifyable, but there’s simply no way you cant say we’ve improved defensively, even if that wasn’t the biggest problem at the start. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a better derby defence.

Archived