Is the squad better and stronger under Rowett.

Curtains

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficult to give a simple yes/no answer to.

I think in overall technical ability its weaker, because a lot of our technically gifted players left.

In terms of defensive ability id say stronger,Ledley and Huddleston are better defensive midfielders than bryson, Johnson or Butterfield. Davies has been a great addition.

Overall i think its slightly weaker, but i sort of think it would've headed this way anyway (regardless of manager)  because of departures and a tightening of purse strings.

We were a top six level side last season, and we are again this season, so we've not massively downgraded and we are evolving towards a ruthless pragmatic team and losing the flair we had a few years ago.

Could be worse, there's s few teams invested heavily and done worse than us.

For a squad that plays for GR, better. Much more suited compared to the one he picked up last year. Lost some quality but have added players that suit the system and the team far better. Probably needs another window or two to fully get his squad 100% to how he wants it. 

The only thing that's a miss is whether or not we've missed a trick not improving it in the attacking department in January. In a good position on a very good run, could we have added players that boosted that rather than trim the squad? Probably wouldn't be an issue if we weren't 2nd at the time. 

We'll find out in May I guess, strap in. 

Strong in defence but weaker in the midfield and attack.

Our lack of mobility in the midfield inhibits us and virtually no goals are scored by them either, in contrast to the past, when they were an important aspect to our game(Hendrick,Bryson notably but not exclusively)

Our attack has ended up almost totally reliant on vydra but he doesn't feed other players with goals as Martin did so we are weaker there too esp as our current wingers are less than prolific at the moment.

Weaker in my view,purely because even now he doesnt seem to know who is best team is.Lost some good players and brought in some mediocre mid table ones,Davies excluded of course.If not for stellar work by Keogh and the best keeper in the league we would not be top six..........In my view of course.

9 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Why have you compared it to the 2013/14 team again?

Where was the mobility in midfield last season with Butterfield, Hughes and Johnson?

Surely the only team Rowett has to improve on is last seasons. The one he was hired to improve!

I’m pretty sure Vydra has quite a few assists too.

I think my points still apply even if you restrict the comparison to last season....selling a vital and prolific forward in ince,Russell leaving leaves us weak on the wing,losing Hughes our most technically adept and mobile midfielder plus the agile,prolific Bryson lost our mobility in the centre.

Add sending Martin out on loan just to finish the job off.

That's why our midfield and attack is weaker than before in my opinion...he have reduced our options in those areas and failed to improve on them.

As of the summer (if you include Ledley) it was stronger based on Gary's needs. It has been weakened as of January. Jerome suits his needs, Donaldson MK2. Martin never suited his direct style, sames as Hughes and a few others.

We were already in need of a winger, lost Russell and replaced him with a player he didn't deem fit to make the starting 18. We now have no striking backups, a weaker wing force. Thorne returning hasn't quite given us the required boost but he needs a full pre-season to get going again after so long out. Defence is still the strongest we've had in a while and that's with a Forsyth who still doesn't look his former self to me yet.

Overall, weaker as of January but as of the summer better suited to Gary's style of play. 

2 minutes ago, Alex W said:

As of the summer (if you include Ledley) it was stronger based on Gary's needs. It has been weakened as of January. Jerome suits his needs, Donaldson MK2. Martin never suited his direct style, sames as Hughes and a few others.

We were already in need of a winger, lost Russell and replaced him with a player he didn't deem fit to make the starting 18. We now have no striking backups, a weaker wing force. Thorne returning hasn't quite given us the required boost but he needs a full pre-season to get going again after so long out. Defence is still the strongest we've had in a while and that's with a Forsyth who still doesn't look his former self to me yet.

Overall, weaker as of January but as of the summer better suited to Gary's style of play. 

Does it bother you about the players in the over 30 age range being in the majority or is that not a problem.  

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Has he made us weaker for the future or stronger. 

Your glass seems half empty today mate?

It’s Just horses for courses.

I think his policy on getting people out and trimming the squad along with youth loans etc will make us stronger.We are just in transition at the minute.

Probably needs 4 or 5 in and half a dozen out.

Ask me again this time next year.

Defensively-Short term better, but due to age there’s no real long term prospect which means they’ll have to be heavy investment in the future as the academy options don’t appear too fancied. Probably a LB too if Olsson isn’t too fancied.

Midfield-Dare I say stronger personality wise but weaker tactically? I like Ledley and Huddlestone, plus Thorne will get there again. Potentially now would have been the time to get the u23’s blooded if they weren’t on loan too. The problem within the midfield is they get no protection from the no.10/front four in general so are finding themselves having to control a huge part of the pitch with little support. That’s where our games feel won/lost so wouldn’t really say it’s improved.

Attacking- I feel we are weaker overall. Being far too reliant on one player echos the problems of last season all over (no matter how good Vydra can be) and that’s one of many questions that remain unanswered. Lawrence probably came in to help in that respect, but him and Vydra don’t really mix in the system together which cancels him out.We’ve also now lost two players that epitomised what this club was aiming to be in terms of identity, for reasons that they don’t fit GR’s system, that I still holds little substance when you actually think about it. Winnall was ok, but at the same time doesn’t feel like the answer long term. Would love to see more of Palmer,

Overall I feel we have a squad that should be about where we are, personnel wise these enough experience and quality for us to be more than an average champ side, so in that way it’s arguably better but it ain’t balanced either. Whether thats Rowett’s fault or the players is down to interpretation you put on it. In a moment of annoyance last night I mentioned that one problem now is that we have a team of journeymen which isn’t really a good thing.

Anyway that’s probably too much but I needed to get off my chest!

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Your glass seems half empty today mate?

It’s Just horses for courses.

I think his policy on getting people out and trimming the squad along with youth loans etc will make us stronger.We are just in transition at the minute.

Probably needs 4 or 5 in and half a dozen out.

Ask me again this time next year.

Ok. 

You are right my glass is half empty. 

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Strong in defence but weaker in the midfield and attack.

Our lack of mobility in the midfield inhibits us and virtually no goals are scored by them either, in contrast to the past, when they were an important aspect to our game(Hendrick,Bryson notably but not exclusively)

Our attack has ended up almost totally reliant on vydra but he doesn't feed other players with goals as Martin did so we are weaker there too esp as our current wingers are less than prolific at the moment.

Now I really do have to pull you big time on the above ,, do me a favour and go back and look at vydras season so far if it’s poss with highlights ,,, he has been fantastic in terms of passes that lead to goals or goals that should have been scored , you are totally wrong to say vydra doesn’t feed other players goals as Martin did ,, 

Archived