Is the squad better and stronger under Rowett.

Curtains

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Really? Which players would you replace? Add? Delete? 

Bryson, Butterfield, Martin out permanently. I don't think GR really fancies Anya, Weimann, possibly Johnson. 

If things are pretty similar come May we'll need a new LB, A good winger and a striker. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

So Jerome * not an improvement ?

*Love @B4ev6is's version {Joeroma}. 

On who? From what I've seen so far he's something different but I haven't seen too much quality, early days though. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

So Jerome * not an improvement ? 

I doubt it.

i'm not sure that there are any really outstanding centre forwards in the league this season.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/jan/20/derby-county-title-win-rob-smyth

"When Clough was forced out by the chairman Sam Longson in October 1973, his disciples – who also happened to be his first-team squad – staged a sit-in at the ground (during which directors, scared to face them, locked themselves in the boardroom and had to discharge in a champagne bucket). They also threatened to go on an unprecedented strike, signed a letter asking for the reinstatement of Clough as part of the fans' Bring Back Clough you to tellcampaign, and said they would no longer train under Mackay..."

What relevance has this to do with this topic I'm still waiting for you to tell me what you think "my version of reality " if you can't quantify something then don't say it I much prefer to live in the reality of today not something that happened 45years ago 

18 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

What relevance has this to do with this topic I'm still waiting for you to tell me what you think "my version of reality " if you can't quantify something then don't say it I much prefer to live in the reality of today not something that happened 45years ago 

Your version of reality - I can't even begin to imagine. I've no idea what you're on about tbh, and I doubt it's of much note either.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Your version of reality - I can't even begin to imagine. I've no idea what you're on about tbh, and I doubt it's of much note either.

is this just life, is this just fantasy, caught in a landslide no escape from reality open your eyes look up to the skies and see

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Certainly of more note than the drivel you post So I take it you can't tell now there's a surprise how thick can you get 

Keep it on topic guys, no need for targeting anyone and frankly no one is interested. This thread, and others, yesterday had some really great points being made by everyone on each side and made this forum worth reading for the first time in a little while. Don’t spoil it, or else I’ll have no choice but to work!

Just a quick point on my OP .

The squad is good in a lot of respects considering the restraints Rowett is working under ie FFP etc .

Now as for utilizing the squad correctly well that is down to Gary and his coaching staff to get the best from it. 

6 changes was too many changes after Norwich IMO but Gary has his reasons and who am I to question them as I don’t see the players in training .

Regarding Tom Lawrence I really hope Gary isn’t losing faith in him because some fans are questioning his ability.  

Really difficult to answer this one as we are playing in a totally different way in that we basically sit back and defend well which you should do with two defensive midfielders plus four defenders and a goalkeeper which are of high experience, which means the front man has to do a lot of work moving around of the defenders and hopefully someone like Vydra can nip in and score a few whilst the wide players are supposed to work hard and maybe do something positive but our problem is when we go behind as it is hard to change from our system to anything else with what we have available at this point and if the other team wants a draw they will generally get one as we will wait for them to over commit.

is the squad better or worse? I think it is fragmented but it has been with every manager change. What would I prefer well I loved the football in the season when we got to Wembley but even after that when they tried to improve on certain players that didn’t really work either.

18 minutes ago, curtains said:

The squad is good in a lot of respects considering the restraints Rowett is working under ie FFP etc .

Now as for utilizing the squad correctly well that is down to Gary and his coaching staff to get the best from it. 

6 changes was too many changes after Norwich IMO but Gary has his reasons and who am I to question them as I don’t see the players in training .

Regarding Tom Lawrence I really hope Gary isn’t losing faith in him because some fans are questioning his ability.  

Regarding Lawrence it is worth remembering that he is the most inexperienced player we are using and whilst he had a similar period last season at Ipswich when he scored some goals compared to Nick Blackman at Reading when we brought him Lawrence has time and opportunity to improve which I think he will ( just take him of direct free kicks) you can see him suffering when he misplaces a pass and then puts his head down and trots after ball.

43 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Keep it on topic guys, no need for targeting anyone and frankly no one is interested...

Me either. But it's difficult not to feed the trolls when attacked.

It seems there's no consensus on whether the current squad is 'better and stronger'. I wonder how it will be next season? I can't see many of the current squad being better, which is just as worrying.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Me either. But it's difficult not to feed the trolls when attacked.

It seems there's no consensus on whether the current squad is 'better and stronger'. I wonder how it will be next season? I can't see many of the current squad being better, which is just as worrying.

Fully understand it’s hard not to bite back mate. We might not see eye to eye on every little point, but you are perfectly valid to have those opinions without your support or whatever being questioned every time you post.

Thats my big worry, no real long term plan could leave us in a mess without investment which with FFP could be a problem. I’d only see us truly stronger at the minute if he could find a way to suit Lawrence and Vydra, which he hasn’t done so far.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Thats my big worry, no real long term plan could leave us in a mess without investment which with FFP could be a problem. I’d only see us truly stronger at the minute if he could find a way to suit Lawrence and Vydra, which he hasn’t done so far.

I wonder are we seeing the Lawrence that plays for Wales? I'm disappointed in him so far, I hope he'll get better. But from the rest of the squad it looks a bit 'tired'.

But too soon to worry about promotion, so I'm sure this squad with some tweeks would be okay for another Championship tilt! Lol.

2 hours ago, curtains said:

The squad is good in a lot of respects considering the restraints Rowett is working under ie FFP etc.

Can you clear this up for me bud because this restraints business is blowing my mind. I keep seeing it everywhere but is it really valid? 

No problem with the squad being better bit, totally agree. He’s got players in which are better suited to playing how we are and I’m all for that whilst GR is the manager. 

Its just the restraints bit. I’m not quite sure what they are? Is being one of the biggest spenders in the division a restraint? Surely only Wolves and Villa have spent more? If I get chance this afternoon I’ll have a gander to see if there’s any more to back up that point.

9 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Can you clear this up for me bud because this restraints business is blowing my mind. I keep seeing it everywhere but is it really valid? 

No problem with the squad being better bit, totally agree. He’s got players in which are better suited to playing how we are and I’m all for that whilst GR is the manager. 

Its just the restraints bit. I’m not quite sure what they are? Is being one of the biggest spenders in the division a restraint? Surely only Wolves and Villa have spent more? If I get chance this afternoon I’ll have a gander to see if there’s any more to back up that point.

Derby have said they have to adhere to FFP that’s what I’m talking about. 

Rowett constantly said the squad was bloated . 

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Really? Which players would you replace? Add? Delete? 

With Martin wanting out, he wanted a more all rounded powerful gy, with good pace and cold link play up to some degree. Hes been a fan of jerome for years and went out and got him.

GR also wanted another forward, especially with Rusell going out. We tried and failed with our first options. The Lookman deal only feel through last minute because his agent had contacts and new of interest from a top4 bundersliga side.

Derby did well to get Palmer in with very little time left in the window. But he was by no means our first choice. And by all accounts Gary has said he needs to get fit before we can give him starts, as Palmer has played very little competitive football recently.

Losing Winall is a bit of a blow if you ask me.. as we dont have that natural goal poatcher to bring on as sub, or start the odd game.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Fully understand it’s hard not to bite back mate. We might not see eye to eye on every little point, but you are perfectly valid to have those opinions without your support or whatever being questioned every time you post.

Tuff  the trouble with Roy is nobody else is allowed an opinion if you don't agree your just a Rowett lover He has many opinions I agree with but if he thinks gws being trolled when somebody disagrees he doesn't really know what the term means Back on topic I agree with you its worrying no long term plan If we don't make it this season if I'm being honest I don't think we will then we could be in trouble next season With the likes of Bryson Butters Martin coming back and as Roy points out can't see the present players being any better than they are now

17 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Tuff  the trouble with Roy is nobody else is allowed an opinion if you don't agree your just a Rowett lover He has many opinions I agree with but if he thinks gws being trolled when somebody disagrees he doesn't really know what the term means Back on topic I agree with you its worrying no long term plan If we don't make it this season if I'm being honest I don't think we will then we could be in trouble next season With the likes of Bryson Butters Martin coming back and as Roy points out can't see the present players being any better than they are now

Yeah I see both sides of it mate but also sometimes I feel the people who are very pro-Rowett don’t want to hear the other side of it as well and sometimes with the social media/rams tv/radio derby message coming out the club, it can become quite hard to swallow when certain questions aren’t being asked. A lot of this has all come from the various Martin threads too where I think if people on both sides actually tried to understand what the other was saying we would meet somewhere in the middle and all have a nice pint on Friar Gate together (first drink on @Ninos obvs). Somewhere along the likes the arguments all got muddled up and people were arguing personnel instead of the debate. Annnyway...

I think I’m general there appears to be confusion around the place. Many were sold a few years ago on Morris saying he wanted us to emulate teams like Southampton in terms of making a Prem league team with academy products plus quality players who have sell on value. Since then we have over bought and now gone into clear out mode, but then we’ve just brought players in ‘like for like’ so we’ve not really decreased the squad. It’s more that we keep putting off the clear out. This summer may be very interesting...

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder are we seeing the Lawrence that plays for Wales? I'm disappointed in him so far, I hope he'll get better. But from the rest of the squad it looks a bit 'tired'.

But too soon to worry about promotion, so I'm sure this squad with some tweeks would be okay for another Championship tilt! Lol.

I’ve tried to stick my neck out a couple of times with Lawrence/Vydra, in that the don’t mix well. Works ok for Vydra but think Lawrence loses out. It’s not many times I’ve thought lawrence has got the ball when he really wants it positionally and is a second option. Lawrence wants to come inside but with Vydra being so attacking it stifles anything positive Lawrence can do and he looks frustrated. Funnily enough I always thought Lawrence looked better with Martin on the pitch, because Martin moves to accommodate others and looks for those passes.

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

With Martin wanting out, he wanted a more all rounded powerful gy, with good pace and cold link play up to some degree. Hes been a fan of jerome for years and went out and got him.

GR also wanted another forward, especially with Rusell going out. We tried and failed with our first options. The Lookman deal only feel through last minute because his agent had contacts and new of interest from a top4 bundersliga side.

Derby did well to get Palmer in with very little time left in the window. But he was by no means our first choice. And by all accounts Gary has said he needs to get fit before we can give him starts, as Palmer has played very little competitive football recently.

Losing Winall is a bit of a blow if you ask me.. as we dont have that natural goal poatcher to bring on as sub, or start the odd game.

although we did have Bent...but gave him to Burton A; :mellow:

Archived