Is the squad better and stronger under Rowett.

Curtains

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

BIG yawn. Why does every Rowett fan boy bring up Mac consistently? Feel a bit inferior do you? Lol.

I’m not a Rowett fan boy, I just analyse what he does fairly rather than letting my judgement be completely clouded by the fact he let go one of my favourite players (which he did in Ince) and never appreciating any of the good work he’s done. Regardless it was you who brought McClaren into the conversation with the home clean sheets record (that only tells half a story) as you once again look to belittle anything Rowett does- no doubt it would be very different if his name was Steve. Rowett is far from the perfect manager and doubts will fairly start to creep in over the last couple of games, but to not give him any credit for the work his done so far this season is absurd.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

BIG yawn. Why does every Rowett fan boy bring up Mac consistently? Feel a bit inferior do you? Lol.

Don't know why you use RoyMacs name he's Derby through and through you definitely are not Proper fans get behind the manager whoever that maybe  No we don't feel inferior just proper fans you should try it Not hoping that they fail just because he wasn't your choice 

6 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Don't know why you use RoyMacs name he's Derby through and through you definitely are not Proper fans get behind the manager whoever that maybe  No we don't feel inferior just proper fans you should try it Not hoping that they fail just because he wasn't your choice 

:lol:

Naïve fans might, but if you look back in history you'll see that when Clough left Derby players threatened to go on strike - not getting behind the new manager. Never you mind if it doesn't fit your version of reality. :lol:

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Naïve fans might, but if you look back in history you'll see that when Clough left Derby players threatened to go on strike - not getting behind the new manager. Never you mind if it doesn't fit your version of reality. :lol:

What the hell are you talking about They same players went on to win the league under McKay  Not seen any present players not getting behind Rowett Perhaps you would like to tell me what my version of reality is or is that beyond your bias thinking 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So so bitter Roy. Sad really, you obviously aren't enjoying Derby county at the moment. Oh well.......

8 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

What the hell are you talking about They same players went on to win the league under McKay  Not seen any present players not getting behind Rowett Perhaps you would like to tell me what my version of reality is or is that beyond your bias thinking 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/jan/20/derby-county-title-win-rob-smyth

"When Clough was forced out by the chairman Sam Longson in October 1973, his disciples – who also happened to be his first-team squad – staged a sit-in at the ground (during which directors, scared to face them, locked themselves in the boardroom and had to discharge in a champagne bucket). They also threatened to go on an unprecedented strike, signed a letter asking for the reinstatement of Clough as part of the fans' Bring Back Clough campaign, and said they would no longer train under Mackay..."

10 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Difficult to give a simple yes/no answer to.

I think in overall technical ability its weaker, because a lot of our technically gifted players left.

In terms of defensive ability id say stronger,Ledley and Huddleston are better defensive midfielders than bryson, Johnson or Butterfield. Davies has been a great addition.

Overall i think its slightly weaker, but i sort of think it would've headed this way anyway (regardless of manager)  because of departures and a tightening of purse strings.

We were a top six level side last season, and we are again this season, so we've not massively downgraded and we are evolving towards a ruthless pragmatic team and losing the flair we had a few years ago.

Could be worse, there's s few teams invested heavily and done worse than us.

We were miles away from top 6 last season. Yes the Pearson debacle at the start of the season was a big factor but we got into the top 6 for about 1 week then fell away and were a long way off in the end. Poor recruitment under Clement was main factor, managed to get in top 6 the first season but squad was weaker and we couldn’t strengthen without outgoings due to the money wasted under Clement. Not been a genuine top 6 since 15/16 and not a serious contender since Mac 1.

Rowett has improved us hugely and we are definitely stronger. Not quite as much flair but we had too many flair players and not enough grit and solidity. Squad now has much better balance and with another transfer window will be better still.

5 minutes ago, KCG said:

RoyMac5 went on to my ignore list about a week after I joined the forum. I highly recommend it, as I wouldn't then get to see his comments quoted.

1) Why did you make a point of the midfield lacking athleticism before the start of the summer and then proceed ton only exacerbate the issue by buying Huddlestone and selling off the more mobile midfielders (Hughes and Bryson) ?

2) Why having made the point about wanting young and hungry players and not aging Prem players, did you proceed to acquire 3 players who played in the Prem last season who are north of 30 ?

3) Why do you bang on about your admiration of Klopp's style of play yet your playstyle shows very very little resemblance of it ?

4) Why did you make about being flexible in tactics and formation yet we now seem to only have players for a 4231/442 ?

5) What's happened with Russell ?

6) Why do you make a point about being unfairly attributed to a 'agricultural' playstyle yet encourage a play style that seemingly leads to a lot of aimless long balls ?

7) Why was Hughes sold so cheaply ? So early in the summer ?

8) Why does Ince's statement about leaving directly contradict yours ?

9) Why was Bryson not given an opportunity when we looked at 433 ?

10) Why did you let Bryson and Butterfield go out on loan to supposed play off rivals before a replacement was bought?

11) Why did you think the performance at Brentford was remotely acceptable ?

12) Why is a playstyle of sitting back and counterattacking the best way to play for the team ?

I'm sure there's more but that is what I'd start with.

This? Oh no that was @brady1993.

43 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We were miles away from top 6 last season. Yes the Pearson debacle at the start of the season was a big factor but we got into the top 6 for about 1 week then fell away and were a long way off in the end. Poor recruitment under Clement was main factor, managed to get in top 6 the first season but squad was weaker and we couldn’t strengthen without outgoings due to the money wasted under Clement. Not been a genuine top 6 since 15/16 and not a serious contender since Mac 1.

Rowett has improved us hugely and we are definitely stronger. Not quite as much flair but we had too many flair players and not enough grit and solidity. Squad now has much better balance and with another transfer window will be better still.

You see I'd argue in terms of the squad we had last season, it should've been a top six squad with the players in it. The team is better now than it was last season, and we're a lot nearer but we've changed and not quite the depth in players to do the job Rowett's team needs them to do. We were still in with a shout of top six when Rowett came in even if it did fall off when the hunt looked to be slipping.

12 hours ago, curtains said:

Has he made us weaker for the future or stronger. 

Weaker.

Even though short term results are better. The team is old

.....and we lost hughes. 

14 hours ago, jagerbob said:

its up to the weimanns and lawrences of this world to show their mettel if you ask me.

forget creative midfielders played centrally, they are long gone.. and to be frank werent very effective when they had 10 opposition players in front of them.

i think hudds, thorney and ledley have done good jobs, just need to see more courage and a bit of ability in the forward positions alongside Vydra. If weimann was any good infront of goal we would have got something out of last night.

Defo agree with first part,not so sure about hudds and thorne ,think both have performed well below expectations

8 hours ago, KCG said:

RoyMac5 went on to my ignore list about a week after I joined the forum. I highly recommend it, as I wouldn't then get to see his comments quoted.

You miss so much if you do that though ,,, gems like he supports Chris Martin every bit as much as he supports derby , you miss all the backing himself into a corner with comments then just refusing to answer anything that exposes undefendable positions ,your actually better off reading his stuff and having a giggle you quickly learn that you can’t talk proper derby county stuff with him and it doesn’t irritate any more ,, hey presto

I would say weaker. We have an ageing squad, a number of players who are simply never going to be able to adequately step up and play at the level we need them to game in game out, such as Anya, Weiman & Forsyth, and very little flair in key areas. We didn’t have a good transfer window and now the cracks are starting to appear. We have definitely been punching above our weight this season so far, which is down to the kind of team spirit and togetherness Rowett has fostered in the squad, but I think ultimately the likes of Villa just have better quality and balance than us, Cardiff had a very good window boosting their squad and have been revived by this, and teams like Fulham are coming into form at the right time. I think we will make the playoffs but whatever happens Rowett will need to rejig the squad in the summer because I cannot see this group of players achieving again the levels they have so far this season.

The team look physically more imposing - lots of bigger taller players it seems. So on that measure you'd say we were stronger. 

But in terms of sustaining a playoff push......well,

- we're not athletic or quick or dynamic overall although a couple of individuals are.

- we seem to lack fitness still. We don't really gegenpress but players are still struggling after 60 or 70 min. Is this their age?

- we're not in my view better balanced. We're just differently imbalanced. 

- the strategy of buying older players leads to questions about our future. If the intention is to use our youth then this has not yet been successful so we lack depth and longevity.

- the player's  attitudes do seem to have improved. There has been a performance tailoff since Jan. Ever since gr got his new contract in fact.

20 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

For a squad that plays for GR, better. Much more suited compared to the one he picked up last year. Lost some quality but have added players that suit the system and the team far better. Probably needs another window or two to fully get his squad 100% to how he wants it. 

The only thing that's a miss is whether or not we've missed a trick not improving it in the attacking department in January. In a good position on a very good run, could we have added players that boosted that rather than trim the squad? Probably wouldn't be an issue if we weren't 2nd at the time. 

We'll find out in May I guess, strap in. 

Really? Which players would you replace? Add? Delete? 

20 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

For a squad that plays for GR, better. Much more suited compared to the one he picked up last year. Lost some quality but have added players that suit the system and the team far better. Probably needs another window or two to fully get his squad 100% to how he wants it. 

The only thing that's a miss is whether or not we've missed a trick not improving it in the attacking department in January. In a good position on a very good run, could we have added players that boosted that rather than trim the squad? Probably wouldn't be an issue if we weren't 2nd at the time. 

We'll find out in May I guess, strap in. 

So Jerome * not an improvement ?

*Love @B4ev6is's version {Joeroma}. 

Archived