Monkey off our backs?

Carl Sagan

Looking for positives, I wonder if the end of the unbeaten run is a monkey off our backs. It's fine if a run like that is almost all wins, but when you reach the point when most games are draws it's no good to anyone. Were we becoming over-cautious, unwilling to risk defeat in exchange for a hoped-for victory? Now it's done. We had to lose some time; it's how we react that's important.

Bounce back, win the next few in a row and this will all be forgotten. I partly blame @Boyciefor continuing the match thread after defeat at Old Trafford. We've not been the same since. Shout out to @Chris Millsto put us back on track and bring us home.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, COYR said:

I was secretly hoping we'd lose tonight (obviously if we couldn't win) but I think this loss will do us much more of a favour in the coming games than a draw would, even maybe a 1-0 scrappy win. For weeks now we've looked happy to get points especially in games at home against lower opposition and it's not what a top two side should be doing, we should be trying to win every game as a priority instead of just being relaxed with a draw. fingers crossed we can beat leeds and get back on track.

This is exactly what i was trying to point across in a thread I just made, this loss might just be a good thing for us.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Looking for positives, I wonder if the end of the unbeaten run is a monkey off our backs. It's fine if a run like that is almost all wins, but when you reach the point when most games are draws it's no good to anyone. Were we becoming over-cautious, unwilling to risk defeat in exchange for a hoped-for victory? Now it's done. We had to lose some time; it's how we react that's important.

Bounce back, win the next few in a row and this will all be forgotten. I partly blame @Boyciefor continuing the match thread after defeat at Old Trafford. We've not been the same since. Shout out to @Chris Millsto put us back on track and bring us home.

Irrespective of who starts the thread you are right and it seems like we would settle for a draw to keep the unbeaten run going. We need wins and lots of them. 

Our performances have been poor lately we need to turn it around and quick.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

;)

For me we had reached the same stage as that run under TBE. We were looking not to lose. It’s alright if you are going for the win but have to settle for a draw, but we seemed to be playing from the start not to lose. Two or three wins and as has been said, this game will be forgotten.

I'm struggling with the the idea that an unbeaten run can be a monkey on your back when you have drawn a few games along the way.

A defeat doesn't always spark that reaction you think you will get, one defeat can just as easily lead to 2, 3, 4 with heads dropping and confidence shot.

Look at the reaction online tonight by fans, had this game been at Pride Park the players would have walked off to a chorus of boo's. What would/will the atmosphere be like in the next game if we went 1-0 down again?

I would have preferred to walk away with a point tonight then on to Leeds and try again for 3, heads held high knowing that no team as beaten us since November 28th. 

Disappointed with tonights result and I'm going to miss that monkey.

If we had taken three of our chances we could have won this game undeservedly. 

Clinical finishing was winning us games.

If you do not take your chances, irrespective of how you should be playing then you can be beaten by a team that has a clinical finisher, which is what happened.

He could not bring on the players that he had just dropped. He had to give the replacements a chance to win the game. They did not take the chances, so we lost.

Now we have lost a game it is about setting out our stall to WIN games because that is what Villa, Cardiff and Fulham are doing. Bristol City can get to within three points if they win their game in hand so we need to start trying above all to win games or we MAY be left trailing within three more games as games start to run out.

11 minutes ago, David said:

I'm struggling with the the idea that an unbeaten run can be a monkey on your back when you have drawn a few games along the way.

A defeat doesn't always spark that reaction you think you will get, one defeat can just as easily lead to 2, 3, 4 with heads dropping and confidence shot.

Look at the reaction online tonight by fans, had this game been at Pride Park tonight the players would have walked off to a chorus of boo's. What would/will the atmosphere be like if we start the next game if we went 1-0 down again?

I would have preferred to walk away with a point tonight then on to Leeds and try again for 3, heads held high knowing that no team as beaten us since November 28th. 

Disappointed with tonights result and I'm going to miss that monkey.

I'm disappointed my Supporters Charter Meeting question about putting in ejector seats into Pride Park and ejecting all the negative fans when they have made 10 or more negative comments has dissapeared or has it been ejected!......

Unless we were second and pulling away (and we've spurned chances of doing that), I'd actually prefer to be tucked in just behind the leaders at this stage,as long as we stay firmly in touch with 2nd spot.

3 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I'm disappointed my Supporters Charter Meeting question about putting in ejector seats into Pride Park and ejecting all the negative fans when they have made 10 or more negative comments has dissapeared or has it been ejected!......

It was a question that would be better put forward to Elon Musk than the football club, we're only looking for serious questions with genuine issues/concerns.

Just now, HantsRam said:

That's cos yer eyesight's shot.

Have you been spanking that monkey too often? :lol:

I'll pretend I didn't see that.

I've been cuddling that monkey and enjoying his company for weeks! Which feels weird to write as I've just given him a gender yet don't believe we ever had a monkey. I'm even more confused now. 

Can we play that game again please? 

Archived