Monkey off our backs?

Carl Sagan

4 minutes ago, David said:

It was a question that would be better put forward to Elon Musk than the football club, we're only looking for serious questions with genuine issues/concerns.

I'll give you all 20 years to catch up!.........You'll be all zorbing into one another on route to PP sending messages to one another by the blink of an eye stating Inverurie Ram mentioned ejector seats in the ground 20 years ago and nobody took his question as serious or genuine or showed any concern!

They'll be sticking microphones and bleepers on the referee's next and they'll be checking TV screens pitch side and chatting to blokes in studios or outside the ground in vans to make the desicions for them, Grandad Inverurie Ram mentioned it in his tea break at work 20 years ago, and all his work colleagues refused to take him seriously, thinking he had issues and nobody was ever genuinely concerned for my Grandad ever again!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, losing away is a good thing.

We are a club with play-off ambitions, and that makes each season interesting, but Derby would get absolutely hammered in the Premiership.  'We would invest', I hear you say.  So why EXACTLY, would the nine players who started last night and are entirely incapable of performing in the Prem', strive for promotion when they would quickly be out of a job?  Its a cushy number at Derby, you've wound your way around the flash cars in the carpark...

Perhaps, have you thought, this is as good as it gets?

3 minutes ago, unclej said:

We are a club with play-off ambitions, and that makes each season interesting, but Derby would get absolutely hammered in the Premiership.  'We would invest', I hear you say.  So why EXACTLY, would the nine players who started last night and are entirely incapable of performing in the Prem', strive for promotion when they would quickly be out of a job?  Its a cushy number at Derby, you've wound your way around the flash cars in the carpark...

If only we'd sign some 'hungry young' players?

12 minutes ago, unclej said:

We started with 11 players last night and I would guesstimate that if you asked each, would you like to play in the Premier League and are you good enough, every single player would say yes.

From those 11 that started, Carson, Davies, Baird, Huddlestone, Ledley, Weimann, Nugent have all performed in the Premier League.

To suggest they are content with life in the Championship for fear of losing their job is nonsense. 

Let's say we got promoted, Rowett turned round and said you're not in my plans, if it was the cushty life they wanted they could just sit at the club and refuse to move. No transfer can be completed without a players signature so they could sit on their arse playing FIFA on the Xbox all day whilst picking up their wage.

This theory is peddled out on numerous clubs forums so it's not one that surprises me anymore, it's not the first time it's appeared on this very forum with different players, was nonsense then and will be each season it's rolled out.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Do they have the same ambitious drive as players who haven't 'been there and done it'?

Why wouldn't they? Did you not listen to them talk about the trip to Old Trafford?

If you've eaten a few steaks would you be happy with corned beef for the rest of your life?

If anything they could possibly want it more having walked out the tunnel against top sides, now squeezing out Portman Road on a Tuesday night. 

Footballer's will be no different to fans in that they want to compete against the best in the best stadiums. 

1 minute ago, David said:

Why wouldn't they? Did you not listen to them talk about the trip to Old Trafford?

Footballer's will be no different to fans in that they want to compete against the best in the best stadiums. 

Was that drive there last night?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Was that drive there last night?

Football clubs lose games, it happens. Less so with us recently, I think it's unfair to question the players drive and ambition following our first defeat since November. 

10 minutes ago, David said:

Football clubs lose games, it happens. Less so with us recently, I think it's unfair to question the players drive and ambition following our first defeat since November. 

Why is it unfair? You say they have the drive and ambition then why haven't we performed better and continued to be in 2nd place - going after Wolves?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is it unfair? You say they have the drive and ambition then why haven't we performed better and continued to be in 2nd place - going after Wolves?

Turn of the year Villa weren’t even in the top 6, was their drive and ambition questioned?

Is John Terry bothered as he’s off at the end of the season? 

Alan Hutton not offered a new deal, been there done it, does he want promotion?

James Chester, Jack Grealish, Glenn Whelan, Robert Snodgrass, Mile Jedinak, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Lewis Grabban, all been there, do these players want it?

Clubs go through good and bad spells throughout the season, very few remain consistent. Bristol City, no Premier League has beens yet their season has collapsed, why?

We are having a mini blip in what has been a very good season so far, that blip has the potential to turn into a full collapse but right now it's a blip. For that reason it's unfair to suddenly question the players drive and ambition to play in the Premier League because they have been there before, yet Villa praised and now have the red carpet rolled out for promotion.

13 minutes ago, David said:

They also have a manager that many fans were calling for him to get sacked until they went on this run of 7 wins. Funny old game.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bruce-in-bruce-out-aston-14096233

Of course the fans can express discontent. Maybe they're right. But at least Bruce has experienced this position before.

Perhaps GR let us lose last night to get the monkey off our back? Or maybe he isn't any better at having a Plan B than others before him.

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course the fans can express discontent. Maybe they're right. But at least Bruce has experienced this position before.

Perhaps GR let us lose last night to get the monkey off our back? Or maybe he isn't any better at having a Plan B than others before him.

Or maybe we just lost a game of football and there is no great mystery or reason for it other than the other team played better than we did. It happens.  I know that ruins the narrative of GR being the worst manager who ever lived, but there you go.   I don't think we've ever gone unbeaten all season have we, so not sure why when we do lose the over analysis has to begin.

Just now, LazloW said:

Or maybe we just lost a game of football and there is no great mystery or reason for it other than the other team played better than we did. It happens.  I know that ruins the narrative of GR being the worst manager who ever lived, but there you go.   I don't think we've ever gone unbeaten all season have we, so not sure why when we do lose the over analysis has to begin.

I think you'll find that its more about when we lose, not if. We should be chasing Wolves from 2nd spot, we were there easily, why can't we stay there is what some fans are asking.

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So Mac 1 and that much pedestalled team did not have drive and ambition ,,,,why didn’t they perform better and get promoted?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whats that got to do with Rowett's team?

Everything given it’s the yardstick being used to measure rowett s team ,,, but hey don’t bother ever answering anything properly once your put on the spot, it’s much easier to just criticise 

16 minutes ago, archied said:

Everything given it’s the yardstick being used to measure rowett s team ,,, but hey don’t bother ever answering anything properly once your put on the spot, it’s much easier to just criticise 

No YOU say everything anyone says about Rowett, that might be construed as negative, to be about being pro-Mac. Is it really TOO difficult for you to understand it's just about Rowett???

Rowetts yardstick is promotion.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No YOU say everything anyone says about Rowett, that might be construed as negative, to be about being pro-Mac. Is it really TOO difficult for you to understand it's just about Rowett???

Rowetts yardstick is promotion.

But you are pro Mac , you are pro Martin and you are anti rowett ,, you have made that very clear , I’ve made it very clear that I’m pro  giving rowett my support and time as he is the man Mel has chosen to employ and if I’m honest I’m not sure I see any realistic far better options out there ,, 

anyway hypothecticaly the question still stands re the mac1 team ? Or would you having to apply the same yardstick make you look foolish so best swerved?

Archived