Monkey off our backs?

Carl Sagan

14 minutes ago, archied said:

But you are pro Mac , you are pro Martin and you are anti rowett ,, you have made that very clear.

Yes. So what, neither Martin nor Mac are here. Rowett is. He is in charge (nominally) of Derby County, the football club I support. I don't rate him. I believe Mac would have taken us up if Mel hadn't have sacked him.

Back to Rowett - his yardstick is promotion.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes. So what, neither Martin nor Mac are here. Rowett is. He is in charge (nominally) of Derby County, the football club I support. I don't rate him. I believe Mac would have taken us up if Mel hadn't have sacked him.

What has Rowett done so wrong in your eyes that you dont rate him , he had an unfashionable team like Birmingham fighting for the play offs when he got sacked , and now hes got us fighting for the top two , that sounds like a manager that knows what hes doing at this level at least , please just give us an insight into why you dont rate him so much

6 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

What has Rowett done so wrong in your eyes that you dont rate him , he had an unfashionable team like Birmingham fighting for the play offs when he got sacked , and now hes got us fighting for the top two , that sounds like a manager that knows what hes doing at this level at least , please just give us an insight into why you dont rate him so much

So you can pull my opinions to pieces because I think differently to you. No thanks.

You'll be able to say I told you so when GR takes us up.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

So you can pull my opinions to pieces because I think differently to you. No thanks.

You'll be able to say I told you so when GR takes us up.

No not at all , im genuinely interested , im seeing a young manager who has guided two teams to the top end of one of the hardest leagues to get out of , he will make mistakes as most managers do at this level , i would like to hear your thoughts on GR and where you think we will end up this season and why

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes but they were here and using the same yardstick did mac1 one and his team not lack the drive and ambition by failing to go up when in position to do so the same as rowett s has failed to stay in second spot? Difference with yours and mine opinions is that I give both Mac and rowett a fair shake and I’m willing and able to explain my opinions ,listen to others opinions and open to change mine when I see the sense in one that makes me question mine , it’s not a weakness to be able to admit when I get it wrong ,, and don’t give me that old guff about Derbyshire folk it’s an easy cop out 

28 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

No not at all , im genuinely interested , im seeing a young manager who has guided two teams to the top end of one of the hardest leagues to get out of , he will make mistakes as most managers do at this level , i would like to hear your thoughts on GR and where you think we will end up this season and why

I think we'll end up 4th as there are enough average teams in competition for top 6 for us to beat enough of them. I think that GR talks a good talk on the whole, as to whether he can carry out his fine speeches, well we'll see won't we.

46 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

He has plenty of plus points and just a couple of negative ones. The first negative is an unwillingness to make early use of substitutions when things are going awry. The 2 nd, which concerns me a little more is, his reasoning as to  why things go awry. On Saturday he thought the players looked leggy thus our inability to hold out for the win. I thought getting overrun in midfield and not making subs and altering the system was the reason. Yesterday he thought clinical finishing was the cause, myself his 6 changes and inability to change things again were responsible. He’s young, talented and ambitious and we are lucky to have him. But he can only really learn if like the Bristol manager on Saturday. He can accept the true reason for failure may on occasion, be himself 

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think we'll end up 4th as there are enough average teams in competition for top 6 for us to beat enough of them. I think that GR talks a good talk on the whole, as to whether he can carry out his fine speeches, well we'll see won't we.

yes we will , do you think we can win the play- offs RoyMac ?

Pretty much my sentiments from the Sheffield v Derby thread.   See below

Posted yesterday at 07:41

Maybe, just maybe this is a good thing.

We have been riding a high on the back of a long run with out loss. Then along come a few draws which will obviously play on the minds of the players.

They will not want to lose and this can have a negative effect. Pressure will build and and performance will become edgy.

That came to a head last night and now the pressure of not wanting to lose has now gone away. 

It is how they respond to that loss now and hopefully they will now come out fighting. This loss will have hurt them.

It has been said earlier in this thread that Rowett's yardstick is promotion. I don't believe that was the case at the start of the season when most of us would have viewed a top six finish as success as Rowett continued to build his team. That we are in the mix for top two is great, but it should not be used as a stick to beat him with if we only end up 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

36 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

It has been said earlier in this thread that Rowett's yardstick is promotion. I don't believe that was the case at the start of the season when most of us would have viewed a top six finish as success as Rowett continued to build his team. That we are in the mix for top two is great, but it should not be used as a stick to beat him with if we only end up 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

I expected nothing higher than half way so I am very pleasantly surprised at our current position. I have a fair way to travel so have only seen the Rams at home on 4 occasions this season - Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday, Reading and Norwich. I think it's fair to say that I haven't seen them at their best, at least I hope not:).

I think GR has done an excellent job under difficult circumstances. I hope he stays for a few years and continues to improve along the way.

8 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

Fair comment. I've looked at the fixtures and based on the way things are with the form of the current crop of teams, we could finish fourth or fifth. In my view that is still OK and an decent achievement by Rowett. 

21 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd say yes because I'd want us to. But I think it would depend on the whether opposition were playing 3 at the back/5 in midfield! Lol.

yes the 5 in midfield is a real problem for us , all our central midfielders are very similar , mobility wise , to play with an extra midfielder thats a bit different to what weve got we would need Craig Bryson or somebody similar to slot in next to Huddlestone and /or Ledley and Thorne

On 15/02/2018 at 15:01, Doodle said:

You poor sod. The brum game was terrible as was reading. Norwich not much better. Can you let me know when you’re back up, I’m in need of a holiday and that may be the best week to pick 

No problem. 4 games is 1500 miles so you're safe for a while?

On 2/13/2018 at 22:44, steve brummie said:

46 competitive games beats 38 survival games IMHO!

(The cash comes in useful though)

One thing for certain , a negative poster will win mo55y's Prediction League if we do go up , that's for sure ..

Nothing wrong with losing, its the way you lose.

Drawing to Norwich was like a loss - the body language of the team and the inherent negativity of all concerned was very disturbing

Johnny and Sammy were key members of our successful team. They have not been replaced.

And for the first time in memory Gary started making very strange decisions

I will always support the rams but I have to say, even I am tiring of the annual self-inflicted implosion at this time of year

Still, the days are getting lighter, the cricket season gets closer, the bulbs are coming out and frankly , the championship is really not that bad

22 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Nothing wrong with losing, its the way you lose.

Drawing to Norwich was like a loss - the body language of the team and the inherent negativity of all concerned was very disturbing

Johnny and Sammy were key members of our successful team. They have not been replaced.

And for the first time in memory Gary started making very strange decisions

I will always support the rams but I have to say, even I am tiring of the annual self-inflicted implosion at this time of year

Still, the days are getting lighter, the cricket season gets closer, the bulbs are coming out and frankly , the championship is really not that bad

Hold firm Bobby hold firm.

Archived