Scott Carson, how much better was Poom?

DerbyGoals

My new Scott Carson video, 

117 Games

117 Conceded

47 Clean Sheets .... Bywater managed 45 Clean Sheets in 167...Granty 53 clean sheets in 182 and Poom 49 in 145. 

Hopefully can keep up his consistency and be our number one for at least 2 or 3 more years! Question is, personally didn't see too much of Poom bar a few videos..how much better was he than Carson?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the important thing with Poom was that he kept clean sheets in the top flight aswell. 1 in 3 clean sheet wise is pretty insane considering a couple of those years were facing relegation too.

Carson has had a gradually improving defence in recent years too, which will help him with clean sheets in terms of clear cut chances being created, still made some fantastic saves though.

I'm probably also biased towards Poom because I've met him, got his signature and told him I was named after Giggs. :whistle: Before he couldn't show loyalty to his own family that is.

Poom was a beast.  Big and strong, dominated the box, brave in a one on one and had the heart of a lion.  The kind of keeper that gets you off your feet cheering, a larger than life type of character, a  beautiful guy

Carson is a fantastic shot stopper with the reflexes of a cat.  Focused, professional and an all round great goalie, who has continued to grow and we are lucky enough to enjoy the best of him and he's cute too, in a frizzled alley cat sort of way

I would say Carson is marginally behind Poom but second in the list of keepers I have seen which started with Colin Boulton. Shilton was past his best by the time we had him, in his prime he was better than either of them of course. Poom was taller and more dominating with balls crossed into the box I think 

8 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I would say Carson is marginally behind Poom but second in the list of keepers I have seen which started with Colin Boulton. Shilton was past his best by the time we had him, in his prime he was better than either of them of course. Poom was taller and more dominating with balls crossed into the box I think 

5 hours ago, Charlie George said:

Poom pretty much kept Derby up by himself for two seasons.

Genuinely world-class. In my opinion he was on a par with the great Peter Schmiechel.

Great video @DerbyGoals. I agree with Gerry Daly in that Poom was a bigger, more intimidating/dominating presence. But both he and Carson are tremendous keepers. And as for Charlie George, when Poom was playing and people didn't know who he was, I would tell them he was like the sightly failed clone of Peter Schmeichel who dribbledd a bit and you kept locked away in the attack, probably chained up, but when you let him out on match day he proved himself just as good a goalkeeper.

Don't know about ability but two unrelated Poom stories ,the first was when I had a bit of corporate hospitality at Sheffield Wednesday I sat in the directors box and next to me was Mart Poom .

At half time we went down into the stands and as the ground is quite old you have to duck as you go down under the entrance .Mart was behind me and put his hand on the top of my head to make sure I didn't knock myself out , we then spent most of half time chatting about all things Derby  ,what a gent and thoroughly nice man.

Second Mart Pomm related story ,I went to this pub in Benahavis in Spain and got talking to the owner his accent was strange and initially I thought he was Irish but he was in fact from Estonia ,we got talking about football as I'd been there to watch England and I mentioned I was Derby fan .From then on the drinks flowed and he asked us to stop the night and sleep on the seats in the bar rather than leave ,Mart was his hero and by association we had a great day out.

Archived