Scott Carson, how much better was Poom?

DerbyGoals

34 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I spoke to him once in the sauna at David Lloyd. He was pleasant and approachable, not big headed in the slightest. He was out injured at the time and showed me his finger which had a knuckle swollen literally to the size of a plum    

Showed you his finger in the Sauna. Sounds very steamy 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Charlie George said:

Poom pretty much kept Derby up by himself for two seasons.

Genuinely world-class. In my opinion he was on a par with the great Peter Schmiechel.

Absolutely. We were lucky that the top four were all happy with their keepers at the time. 

Dominated the whole 18yard box in the air. Always caught it too, probably better than Schmiechel in that respect. Just never looked like anything bad was going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

My recollection is that he was a little bit shaky to start with that first season at the BBG, then went on to be fantastic at Pride Park. He could certainly have played for one of the biggest clubs, shame he got injured   

I Think he only played twice at the eternal stadium, a draw to Southampton and the defeat to Arsenal in the last game.

Still miss the old place 21 years on.

Just after Poom and the top 4 keepers became more dodgy, Brad Friedel came to prominence with Blackburn and was deemed one of if not the best around. Poom was at his level but whereas Friedel got the recognition Poom didn’t.

His command of the box was unrivalled, his shot stopping ability and ability to save shots down low were awesome for someone at 6 ft 5. When sky sports news used to do save of the week, he once had 4 entries in from the same game! All worldies - against Everton I think and we won 1-0. His distribution however was crap but the game was different then.

Carson is definitely the closest we’ve had to Poom since and I think at the end of his Derby career we will be talking about him as better than Poom. But he needs to do it in the Prem for us. Carson has good command of his area (but not like Poom)his shot stopping is as good as Poom and his distribution (while it can improve) is better. I also think he is a calmer presence which is a real positive for this team.

On 1/21/2018 at 21:17, Charlie George said:

Poom pretty much kept Derby up by himself for two seasons.

Genuinely world-class. In my opinion he was on a par with the great Peter Schmiechel.

Possibly my favourite in the ridiculous over-hyping of Mart Poom posts.

Mart Poom was a great keeper at the time, I actually started to follow Rams when he was at the club. I was sad to see him being sold to Sunderland, but that's how it goes in life. The career of a professional footballer is relatively short, 10-15 years at best; and every player has make maximum out of it during his playing time. 

Scott Carson is now at the post, he is doing a great job. He is just like a fine wine, the older he gets - the better he is.

The comparison between two of them is not quite adequate and appropriate, as they played/are playing at different times and at different level.

At 32, Carson could easily play for us for 5 more years by which time I would hope he might have got back in the England side because we are in the premiership. Its not unrealistic to think all of that may happen and then he would have to be seen as our greatest ever keeper 

Archived