you are the landlord

dog

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a 90s theme pub with no phones allowed and a jukebox. Beers are:

Kilkenny (first beer I used to drink)

Caffreys (original strength, hangover warning)

Carling Premier (early attempt of craft beer, don't let the Carling name put you off)

Stella (was so strong it was called wifebeater, now most beers are of a similar strength)

Strongbow (just for making snakey Bs)

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

How about a 90s theme pub with no phones allowed and a jukebox. Beers are:

Kilkenny (first beer I used to drink)

Caffreys (original strength, hangover warning)

Carling Premier (early attempt of craft beer, don't let the Carling name put you off)

Stella (was so strong it was called wifebeater, now most beers are of a similar strength)

Strongbow (just for making snakey Bs)

I see you like empty pubs

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:48, CornwallRam said:

Fosters, Castlemaine XXXX, Carling, Grolsch and Red Stripe. Bitter is for old men from Yorkshire who own whippets and race pigeons. 

I'm Australian and even I'm offended by the inclusion of the first two.

You did redeem yourself in my eyes though by including Red Stripe; it, along with Cascade (a Tasmanian beer), are my favourite commercially made beers...in fact, the only two I particularly like....

29 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

I'm Australian and even I'm offended by the inclusion of the first two.

You did redeem yourself in my eyes though by including Red Stripe; it, along with Cascade (a Tasmanian beer), are my favourite commercially made beers...in fact, the only two I particularly like....

From the poster's original list, Grolsch and Red Stripe are fine. I agree with you on the two 'Aussie' examples of pollution. As for Carling, it is the answer to an IQ test. If you select it, you have failed.

Ped, Theakstons, Burton Bridge, a guest beer from the Slaughterhouse (in Warwick, small outfit - try it if you ever see it), Guinness ...

Fosters I suppose.

I would also have Banks Mild (completely flat and warm, smelling of cabbage) to spring on hipsters. I would offer it as a 'Midlands experience' and make them eat a bag of salt and vinegar with a pickled egg dropped in, or scratchings that still had the bristles attached.

Always a panic order, Carling.

Away day: 10am.

Stride into a boozer you've never been in before, you're at the front of the gang, you lead your pals to the bar, it's clear, the barman has already loudly asked "alright lads, what can I get you?", the regulars have briefly looked up from their newspapers and glasses of dark brown, you scan the pumps for a San Miguel, a Stella, even a Kronenborg would suffice. The options seem limited, amongst the numerous pumps of the dreaded "real ale" with names like Bearded Badgers Foot and taps with pictures of birds with unfathomably big norks on them, you seek some kind of golden refuge. A bead of sweat runs across your brow. How long has it been? Has he asked me twice? Everyone else is in the background somewhere eyeing up a table, someone has gone to the bogs.

You instantly dismiss the Carlsberg and that Japanese one that you don't really know the name of, you dare not attempt a Smiths or Pedi knowing the next morning will be hell, and in any case you're not 50, can't just walk out, could play the designated driver card? No, you've committed the day to getting p***ed, too early for vodka or Sambuca shots, so you retreat to the safety of Carling.

You pretended not to see it on the first scan through, in the hope of something better appearing, alas your hopes never materialised. You know it's not going to be great but at least you know what taste you're going to have to endure. "A Carling please", you say uneasily. Instant regret as you spot the bottles of Corona, Becks and Bud in the fridge. Too late now, he's got the glass out. The liquid looks even more yellow and watery than you remember it as it falls into the glaas, you don't find solace in the fact it's the second cheapest pint in the place. Every fibre of your being feels assaulted as he says "£3.10 mate".

You're the first to the table, friend number 1 comes back with a pint of Peroni. You look puzzled. "There's a second bar".

38 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Always a panic order, Carling.

Away day: 10am.

Stride into a boozer you've never been in before, you're at the front of the gang, you lead your pals to the bar, it's clear, the barman has already loudly asked "alright lads, what can I get you?", the regulars have briefly looked up from their newspapers and glasses of dark brown, you scan the pumps for a San Miguel, a Stella, even a Kronenborg would suffice. The options seem limited, amongst the numerous pumps of the dreaded "real ale" with names like Bearded Badgers Foot and taps with pictures of birds with unfathomably big norks on them, you seek some kind of golden refuge. A bead of sweat runs across your brow. How long has it been? Has he asked me twice? Everyone else is in the background somewhere eyeing up a table, someone has gone to the bogs.

You instantly dismiss the Carlsberg and that Japanese one that you don't really know the name of, you dare not attempt a Smiths or Pedi knowing the next morning will be hell, and in any case you're not 50, can't just walk out, could play the designated driver card? No, you've committed the day to getting p***ed, too early for vodka or Sambuca shots, so you retreat to the safety of Carling.

You pretended not to see it on the first scan through, in the hope of something better appearing, alas your hopes never materialised. You know it's not going to be great but at least you know what taste you're going to have to endure. "A Carling please", you say uneasily. Instant regret as you spot the bottles of Corona, Becks and Bud in the fridge. Too late now, he's got the glass out. The liquid looks even more yellow and watery than you remember it as it falls into the glaas, you don't find solace in the fact it's the second cheapest pint in the place. Every fibre of your being feels assaulted as he says "£3.10 mate".

You're the first to the table, friend number 1 comes back with a pint of Peroni. You look puzzled. "There's a second bar".

Peroni? And you felt assaulted at £3.10 for a carling?

Not a pub in this country this doesn’t have bottles of bud, if in doubt just order one, might not be in a fridge right in front of your face but it will be there. 

Peroni is a status thing isn’t it? A show of wealth and usually the first one home as they are skint, can’t afford a kebab or taxi.

@JoetheRam

Brilliant post, so true to real life,  fortunately i don't drink maiden's water so I only have to scan the real ales. If i don't recognise the brands on offer i usually end up having a Creamflow as my first drink whilst frantically looking around for a better alternative. 

On 1/12/2018 at 18:06, froggg said:

Thank goodness, as will have to visit for cricket or rugby at some point, obviously now is a good time for the rugby but not the cricket.

The craft ale in Aus is superb, there are some great breweries in Western Australia alone and even the wine regions have thriving breweries. Unfortunately though if you go to any of the rugby or cricket out here you will be served the piss weak mid strength lagers. At the WACA they were serving Castlemaine XXXX. Hardly worth drinking! 

2 minutes ago, Ramchester said:

The craft ale in Aus is superb, there are some great breweries in Western Australia alone and even the wine regions have thriving breweries. Unfortunately though if you go to any of the rugby or cricket out here you will be served the piss weak mid strength lagers. At the WACA they were serving Castlemaine XXXX. Hardly worth drinking! 

Cheers, would rather drink water than Castlemaine XXXX

Archived