Rowett Signs 3 and a Half Year Contract

Day

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ninos said:

Disagree  ...  a) Wisdom is better and younger (although Baird is playing great I see that ) and b) at some point very soon he’s gonna break down like all the older players do ... back, niggles etc etc ... plus he’s a depreciating asset. Wisdom is the future and we have to start playing him regularly. A one year contract based purely on appearances i could go with but not muc more as squad needs trimming too

Baird is very much an asset to our squad. Even when he is out the side when hes called on he comes in and does a job. Yes a year by year contract seems reasonable but not based on appearances, why should it be?

And with regards to injuries Baird seems one of the most robust players we have.

9 hours ago, Rampage said:

There is no better club for Gary Rowett to be at than Derby County. He above all , knows that. Mark Laurenceson has just got him a nice little contract!!! Gary does not have to get us promotion to be a success this season.

A  bit naive to think fans won't be calling us 'bottlers' again if we don't get promotion from where we are now.Fan reaction can turn in an instant.

36 minutes ago, DRBee said:

A  bit naive to think fans won't be calling us 'bottlers' again if we don't get promotion from where we are now.Fan reaction can turn in an instant.

True it can, and I honestly hate that about a percentage of our fanbase. The entitlement of some that we should storm the league and win every game 5-0 is ridiculous.

There's only 6 points between us and Leeds in 6th, 7 points from Sheff U in 7th. If we lose 2 games (which with 20 to go, is not unlikely to be fair) and results go against us we could be 6th. I don't class that as bottling it. 

If Wolves somehow miss out on playoffs or even automatic promotion with the lead they've assailed, that would be bottling it. 

I wasn't sure about the appointment of GR, he's done a good job so far, and I hope we actually stick with him for this 3 1/2 years, if we don't get promotion this season I would like to see him stay. 

Have pleaded for stability for the past few years and hopefully this is a sign of that becoming reality.

I'm sure Stoke forced our hand and with his business head on Mel would have liked to have seen if we could arrest the usual post Xmas slide first, but this should surely mean he's guaranteed to be here next season and the squad will by then be closer to the one he wants.

Even if we tail off and wind up a losing play off team we will be a year more experienced, prepped and ready to go.

Also think if/when we go up he would sign sensibly to keep us there, not be the type to spunk £15m on an imported striker who ends the season scoring 2 goals and returning back to his former club for half the price.

Have to assume both his and Mel's ideologies are similar which is great, but with GR holding the high ground over negotiations it would be nice if he asked for a couple of million for the transfer kitty to enable him to do whatever he feels necessary to keep us on target.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I'd rather watch that than read the continued Martin bashing though.

whatever. Mcclaren is an irrelevance and a blight on our past - with an accomplishment of FAT ZERO and a naive method. Played some good stuff yada yada but couldn’t do the business when it counted. Don’t enjoy talking about him but ppl need reminding what a managerial donkey he was. He does not need mentioning any more. Martin is more entertaining to discuss because he’s our player and it’s laughable watching the cackle of martinites lower the bar from - best player, to - ace goalscorer to - must start, to - best partner for Vydra to - best sub, to - role to play at club. That’s the current position - role to play. Lol.  At some point they’ll realise that a guy who offers next to nothing on a whopping Mcclaren contract is surplus to requirements. He’s relevant to forum discussion.

so bored of hearing about his amazing  hold up link up hold up link up ... watch back the most recent league game and watch Vydra carefully. Right now he’s the best link maestro. 

“What do you see ...” ? 

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Baird is very much an asset to our squad. Even when he is out the side when hes called on he comes in and does a job. Yes a year by year contract seems reasonable but not based on appearances, why should it be?

And with regards to injuries Baird seems one of the most robust players we have.

You’re just spouting likeable retorts to get likes Paul. He’s a depreciating asset no matter how great he plays. And I agree he’s been superb. But reality is he’s Wisdoms backup. He may be robust today but you can’t honestly think he’s immune to age. Kudos to him but he needs to move aside next season and worrying about offering CB a contract is the least concern we should have, which was my point when he was lumped with Thorne and Russell.

He will be 36 next month! 36!

4 hours ago, archied said:

Mac was hedging his bets ,, didn’t want to risk going to try to keep them up but did not want to dismiss taking the job if they stayed up ,, whatever way you slice it rowett and Mel have handled a very similar situation in a far far better way ,, it appears both put their cards on the table ,rowett now knows he’s valued and wanted and Mel knows rowett has a degree of honesty and loyalty , much as I enjoyed Mac s first spell in charge I lost respect for the bloke ,he could and should have handled it far better ,

thats my take on it , others will see it differently, I’m just glad all this stoke move rumour has been nipped in the bud fast and we can carry on building

That's a very sensible and perfectly true assessment thank you 

10 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You’re just spouting likeable retorts to get likes Paul. He’s a depreciating asset no matter how great he plays. And I agree he’s been superb. But reality is he’s Wisdoms backup. He may be robust today but you can’t honestly think he’s immune to age. Kudos to him but he needs to move aside next season and worrying about offering CB a contract is the least concern we should have, which was my point when he was lumped with Thorne and Russell.

Thats rubbish, i dont care if its liked or not, its how i feel.

So thats how it works is it? If i post something thats popular im only posting it because i want likes? Ha FFS dont make me laugh,

Hes been excellent and I have seen nothing to make me think he shouldnt get another contract, yes I agree he will end up as backup, but i think we expected that this year and look whats happened.

16 minutes ago, Ninos said:

If he still does the business which he can and he’s keeping Wisdom out the team by how solid he’s playing, why shouldn’t we reward him? 

3 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

That's a very sensible and perfectly true assessment thank you 

It was sensible. What it omits is that GR coveted the Derby job and he really sees Derby as a PL team - with himself in charge long term. It’s coming from him and we just lucky to have someone like that and Mel was wise to find get and keep him.

Mcclaren saw himself at a big club and in his mind Newcastle was it. Successs there and it would be a Man U or Arsenal after for him. The new Alex Ferguson.  I never had a problem with how he handled the Newcastle thing because it was right for him to hedge at Derby given his ambitions. But he couldn’t keep us performing, that was the problem. Media and fans became obsessed about making a man who didn’t want to commit, commit. Unfair that. To Rowett Derby is bigger and more attractive than Newcastle. Not for Mac. 

The narrative has become “Mac didn’t handle it well” which Ive never agreed with. He handled it consistent with his amibition.

9 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

If he still does the business which he can and he’s keeping Wisdom out the team by how solid he’s playing, why shouldn’t we reward him? 

I like him a lot too but you can’t just keep throwing contracts at players in a good run of form and his age factors in. I’d be shocked if he gets another contract past a year and surprised if he gets one year. Wisdom gets hurt and We need to see a youth player, a Stabana for example. We need to be creating avenues into the first team for our academy and if we keep him for longer another way in is blocked . 

25 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I like him a lot too but you can’t just keep throwing contracts at players in a good run of form and his age factors in. I’d be shocked if he gets another contract past a year and surprised if he gets one year. Wisdom gets hurt and We need to see a youth player, a Stabana for example. We need to be creating avenues into the first team for our academy and if we keep him for longer another way in is blocked . 

Of course, I agree we should be implanting more youth into the squad but I don’t think it’s so cut and dry. Where we are now, we need to maintain consistency and it’s risky to give youth players a run. One game wouldn’t cut it so they’d need four or five games. It’s definitely a big risk to disturb what currently works however much we want to see younger academy players involved. 

Question is, when should we be playing academy players?

59 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It was sensible. What it omits is that GR coveted the Derby job and he really sees Derby as a PL team - with himself in charge long term. It’s coming from him and we just lucky to have someone like that and Mel was wise to find get and keep him.

Mcclaren saw himself at a big club and in his mind Newcastle was it. Successs there and it would be a Man U or Arsenal after for him. The new Alex Ferguson.  I never had a problem with how he handled the Newcastle thing because it was right for him to hedge at Derby given his ambitions. But he couldn’t keep us performing, that was the problem. Media and fans became obsessed about making a man who didn’t want to commit, commit. Unfair that. To Rowett Derby is bigger and more attractive than Newcastle. Not for Mac. 

The narrative has become “Mac didn’t handle it well” which Ive never agreed with. He handled it consistent with his amibition.

Yes agree with most of that especially the Rowett side of it  Can't really agree with the "Mac didn't handle I well " side of it  Obvious to everyone he or his agent were talking to Newcastle especially about a directorship As an employer myself I could never let a manager continue his employment if he refused to commit to me if I had heard rumours I don't think Mac at anytime thought what damage he as doing to Dcfc t was all about hat he wanted to do 

Archived