Next game Vital

Dethorn

I have a feeling the next game could be vital

On the face of it we should do Brum but....

They have found a little form recently, we are away, we are coming off the back of a defeat.

I have a bad feeling the January fall off could start here.

I would go so far as to predict (and I am not someone who predicts lightly)

1) we win and go on to the auto's

2) we draw and go on to finish comfortably in the playoffs

3) we lose and fall away narrowly missing the play offs in the last week or two

What do you guys think - please tell me I am worrying unecessarily ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

They have found a little form recently, we are away, we are coming off the back of a defeat.

Not really any more vital than any other game. I don't hold with this belief that Saturday's game will define our January let alone the rest of the season. 

25 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

You are worrying unnecessarily I think. I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact we are of the back of a loss given that it was a loss to a strong United team at Old Trafford and the general sense is that we did alright given the opposition.

Birmingham can be a bit of a bogey team for us but after a full week off and a few niggles hopefully clearing up we will be able to go at them fresh with a nearly full squad to pick from.

I get annoyed by talk of ‘the annual post Christmas collapse’.

It would only be a justifiable concern if there were a consistent reason as to why we keep collapsing.

14/15 - Happened in March for a start, spine of the team wiped out with injuries.

15/16 - The system was worked out, teams realised that marking Keogh and Thorne whilst pressing butters and Christie completely nullified us.

16/17 - McClaren naively believed that Nuge and De Sart alone were enough to allow us to play football again.

If you miss out on promotion by 1 point, only one of the games you drew or lost turned out to be vital.

But almost all of them, I'd wager, would have been called vital by someone.

Lets just see where we are when the seasons over. I reckon if we've finished in the top 2 we'll get promoted. I'd maybe even put money on it.

1 hour ago, Dethorn said:

3) wont happen. Im not saying we wont lose against birmingham. Im saying even if we have a bad run with some defeats and a string of games with no win, i still feel we will pick up again with the squad we have. I dont see us missing out on the playoffs and collapsing quite like Mcclaren did in 2015. For a start if the goals dry up a bit, we actually know how to defend with this team. The heads arent going to drop in the same way.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

3) wont happen. Im not saying we wont lose against birmingham. Im saying even if we have a bad run with some defeats and a string of games with no win, i still feel we will pick up again with the squad we have. I dont see us missing out on the playoffs and collapsing quite like Mcclaren did in 2015. For a start if the goals dry up a bit, we actually know how to defend with this team. The heads arent going to drop in the same way.

What happens if George, Ledley, Huddlestone, Nugent, Winnall, Davies and Pearce all get injured? 

Injuries being the problem in 14/15 and not the goals drying up...

45 minutes ago, cannable said:

What happens if George, Ledley, Huddlestone, Nugent, Winnall, Davies and Pearce all get injured? 

.... yeah, and then a great big hole opens up in the centre circle and swallows Vydra just as he is running on to  pick-perfect through ball from George Thorne. We'll never score again. And then, for the next away match, George the Derby County bus driver loses his licence and we can't travel to away games anymore, and get a points deduction for failure to field a team. It could happen, you know.

56 minutes ago, cannable said:

we wont loose that many to injury, and we have better options. To put it in perspective. for our top of the league table to finish 7th (and that was only on the final day), we showed bottom 3 form the last third of the season. That season there was no replacement for martin. Bent wasnt the same. McClaren didnt change the team style enough with ince and bent in the team.

I still say there is 0 chance we wont finish top 6.

Another over exaggeration initial post here. The only time vital games come around are the very end of the season. There will be a lot of ups and downs over the next 20 games. We will probably go out the autos, back in, back out etc

Every chance us, Cardiff and Bristol all draw on Saturday. That's one step closer to autos and won't make the game vital at all....

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

.... yeah, and then a great big hole opens up in the centre circle and swallows Vydra just as he is running on to  pick-perfect through ball from George Thorne. We'll never score again. And then, for the next away match, George the Derby County bus driver loses his licence and we can't travel to away games anymore, and get a points deduction for failure to field a team. It could happen, you know.

No it couldn't.

George the Derby County bus driver left last year. It's his brother Harry now.

Archived