Gary Rowett “under consideration” for Stoke job

Nuwtfly

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ninos said:

Well it’s a compliment to him but he’s too connected here unlike Mac who was from Yarm or something, and GR is mid project so would be a poor choice on his part. He’s not goin anywhere, he is too genuine a bloke.

I don't think he is going anywhere, but these comments are PURE garbage. MacClaren's links with Derby were just as strong and Rowett did jump ship on Burton quite easily.

18 minutes ago, Potter said:

Not sure if Rowett is really under any serious consideration for the job - Coates and the Stoke board tend to do their business behind closed doors rather than through the media - but what’s the general consensus on his style? Think he could do the job at Prem level? Must admit that I don’t know much about him other than the positive headlines from his time at Burton and Birmingham. In the time he’s been with you, have you seen enough to think he’s the real deal?

He has us generally very well drilled and organised. We are a good unit. He has managed to do this in super quick time and I think most of us are surprised that it could be a serious automatic promotion push this season. We have no clue about his premier league attributes as he has not had opportunity to manage and coach that high up yet but he sure does have the ambition. 

Im slightly worried. My heart says he is a good loyal lad who will view the current job as half done and would stay and see it through... However, my head says we have a trigger happy owner who has no such loyalty to any manager so far and working for the seemingly calm, time giving Coates family must be most managers dream. 

Lets see what gives. 

12 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

He has us generally very well drilled and organised. We are a good unit. He has managed to do this in super quick time and I think most of us are surprised that it could be a serious automatic promotion push this season. We have no clue about his premier league attributes as he has not had opportunity to manage and coach that high up yet but he sure does have the ambition. 

Im slightly worried. My heart says he is a good loyal lad who will view the current job as half done and would stay and see it through... However, my head says we have a trigger happy owner who has no such loyalty to any manager so far and working for the seemingly calm, time giving Coates family must be most managers dream. 

Lets see what gives. 

Thanks for that Stockholm. Read that a few times (about his ambition) and things, as you say, might depend on the patience of both him and your owner.

I wouldn’t worry too much at the moment as I reckon MO’N is probably far more likely an appointment until the end of the season. Although you could see the attraction of Rowett if the Stoke board thought there’d be a chance he’d be interested.

Will just have to wait and see how it pans out!

Genuinely have no concerns on this one.

In the case of Stevie Mac, there was a clear temptation. Despite being a bit of a yo-yo team lately,  Newcastle are still a gigantic club with a brilliant ground and a surprisingly large fan base (seriously, I meet them everywhere). Stoke, however, are Stoke. They don’t look likely to survive this year and despite their current position, are really not as attractive long term as the Rams...on top of that, I like to see Rowett as Mr Derby County.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Even if Mel has to strong arm Rowett in to staying I can't see him being as much of a tit about it as McLaren was. McLaren let performances slip massively that season it can't have been a total coincidence. Rowett strikes me as better than that.

If Rowett lost Ledley, Thorne and Huddlestone to long term injury now, along with vydra and nugent, we would no doubt see a dip in form.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Rammeister said:

Can’t see the bloke from Stoke wanting Rowett. Too much of a gamble.

In their position the appt will definitely have to be someone with Premier League experience.

All good for us!

Phil Brown then.

5 minutes ago, Rammeister said:

Can’t see the bloke from Stoke wanting Rowett. Too much of a gamble.

In their position the appt will definitely have to be someone with Premier League experience.

All good for us!

It would be a gamble, you're right.  Might be one worth taking though considering the available 'experience' out there.

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

Martin O Neil is one of the favorites it would seem? 

Yes, and would fit the bill on a short-term basis.  British, Prem experience, and should be available since RoI don't have a competitive fixture coming up in the next 5 months.  Wouldn't want him beyond this season though personally (not sure I want him even in the short-term tbh).

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Martin O Neil is one of the favorites it would seem? 

Odds on favourite right now i think.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Potter said:

Yes, and would fit the bill on a short-term basis.  British, Prem experience, and should be available since RoI don't have a competitive fixture coming up in the next 5 months.  Wouldn't want him beyond this season though personally (not sure I want him even in the short-term tbh).

Hes a good manager, if hes available he would be a very good fit i think.

7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Hes a good manager, if hes available he would be a very good fit i think.

He could very well do a good job.  At least I would expect him to make us more resilient and tighten up our defence, as well as be more consistent with his expectations and playing style/identity.  Seems a good man-manager too.  Certainly seems to know how to get the most out of limited players.

Remain unconvinced that he could build a squad and make us competitive, as I think top-level football has moved on quite significantly since the last time he had some modicum of success at it.  Not to say he couldn't, but I have my doubts.

If he does come, I hope to god he leaves that clown Keane behind.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Potter said:

He could very well do a good job.  At least I would expect him to make us more resilient and tighten up our defence, as well as be more consistent with his expectations and playing style/identity.  Seems a good man-manager too.  Certainly seems to know how to get the most out of limited players.

Remain unconvinced that he could build a squad and make us competitive, as I think top-level football has moved on quite significantly since the last time he had some modicum of success at it.  Not to say he couldn't, but I have my doubts.

If he does come, I hope to god he leaves that clown Keane behind.

That man should be nowhere near football, setting out to deliberately injure a player has to be one of the most horrendous things a player can do.

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

In all seriousness, I don't think he will go but I can see the temptation. Stoke is a workable commute so he wouldn't have to move from his current home. He'd be likely to be paid substantially more. I know Stoke are struggling but there are at least 3 worst teams than them in the premiership. Rowett is a confident man and if he was to go, he'd back himself to get them out of their current situation. Their chairman is also known to back their managers all the way. Let's just say that this was a normal every day job. It would certainly be tempting.

But the counter argument to this is that if he goes to Stoke and they get relegated but Derby still end up going up, he would have egg on his face and he would look very silly. There would be no guarantees if he goes to Stoke that he will get the best out of their players. Players like shaqiri would have most likely not have heard of Rowett so would not have the respect for him. Someone made a good point that Rowett was annoyed after Burton got promoted as Jimmy Floyd got all the credit, despite Rowett doing all of the hard work and laying the foundations. Would he want the same thing to potentially happen again?

My advice to Rowett would be to stay here because he will get offers from premier league clubs again in the future(including those that will be more attractive than Stoke). When Sam allardyce ends up leaving Everton in a few years and if Rowett carries on having a good managerial career, I could see them being interested in him. Rowett's still relatively young in his managerial journey, he has got plenty of time to join a healthy premier league club in the future.

I’m not concerned, there’s too much to lose in PL fortunes for a relegation threatened club to take a risk on a manager like Rowett.

Should he be considered for the job? Absolutely, he’s done a good job everywhere he’s been. But he’s not on the PL merry-go-round and they’ll likely go for somebody who can say they’ve avoided relegation from the PL before. I’d say Steve Bruce is more likely if they’re going to pinch a manager from this division.

He’s linked in the betting because he’s doing well at one of the teams immediately below the PL in the pyramid, that’s it.

51 minutes ago, Potter said:

Don't come on here waving your wand around, Harry.

Archived