'We had the resilience to see the game out'

RoyMac5

This thread is about limiting our ambition within a game when the team ain't functioning as GR would like.

The Che Adams thread and quotes about being frugal are about limiting our ambition for the remainder of the season.

On the latter point,  has GR missed an opportunity to gee up the current squad. Instead of issuing mealy mouthed statements implying we'd like to spend but are constrained why not come out with a "we're 4th, with a great squad including some players just finding their way back after long term injuries.  We don't need to strengthen as we are strong and getting stronger. I have every faith in our squad. "

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Am I the only one who's read the whole thread and doesn't really understand what it's about?

It's not *really* about anything. I got a bit bored after Boxing Day and it's not yet New Year, so it's the social media equivalent of thumb-twiddling. :whistle:

49 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

This thread is about limiting our ambition within a game when the team ain't functioning as GR would like.

The Che Adams thread and quotes about being frugal are about limiting our ambition for the remainder of the season.

On the latter point,  has GR missed an opportunity to gee up the current squad. Instead of issuing mealy mouthed statements implying we'd like to spend but are constrained why not come out with a "we're 4th, with a great squad including some players just finding their way back after long term injuries.  We don't need to strengthen as we are strong and getting stronger. I have every faith in our squad. "

I think it’s an average squad to be totally honest. 

Not sure it’s Premier League. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

We’re not in the Premier League and if we do make it we have a transfer window to strengthen.

True but I’m not sure we have the ambition to make it. 

Need to grab this chance by the scruff of the neck and go for it. 

Watching at Hull gave me big doubts. 

10 minutes ago, curtains said:

True but I’m not sure we have the ambition to make it. 

Need to grab this chance by the scruff of the neck and go for it. 

Watching at Hull gave me big doubts. 

Again, you talk of ambition but we have rules to play by. Why does it need to be big money signings for you and not the right players?

Just now, curtains said:

Mate the right players cost money. 

There are no bargains out there. 

I think I agree with David that given what GR has achieved so far with THIS squad - they are perhaps capable of gaining enough points to get out of the championship. 

Then I agree with you that the squad is not premier league quality and without strengthening,  we would be reliant on 3 other teams having an utter mare and being worse than us.

The risk we run if we stick in this window is of injury potentially derailing our first xi. Judgement call if we sign any cover or not. 

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I think I agree with David that given what GR has achieved so far with THIS squad - they are perhaps capable of gaining enough points to get out of the championship. 

Then I agree with you that the squad is not premier league quality and without strengthening,  we would be reliant on 3 other teams having an utter mare and being worse than us.

The risk we run if we stick in this window is of injury potentially derailing our first xi. Judgement call if we sign any cover or not. 

I’m talking a couple of quality players.  

Wolves have done it and they are certain for promotion 

Thorne as a replacement no 10 for Vydra is a make shift as it’s not Thornes position .

To be honest it could go either way this season I just want guarantees and to improve the odds. 

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Rather than sign anyone as cover, I would much prefer we try and sign at least one player, 2 at the most, who are better (and maybe different) to what we have. That way it would give us greater flexibility but still having decent back-up within the current squad.

I have a feeling we'll bring one player in - a more mobile midfielder, with 2 or 3 outgoings 

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Rather than sign anyone as cover, I would much prefer we try and sign at least one player, 2 at the most, who are better (and maybe different) to what we have. That way it would give us greater flexibility but still having decent back-up within the current squad.

I have a feeling we'll bring one player in - a more mobile midfielder, with 2 or 3 outgoings 

The hesitation I have in following this approach is whether GR is yet savvy enough as a manager to make best use of different options. 

He has said so of course with his  "horses for courses" line but as noted elsewhere his selections and tactics are pretty consistent.

No point in options if you're not clear you're definitely going to use themĺ.

23 minutes ago, curtains said:

I’m talking a couple of quality players.  

Wolves have done it and they are certain for promotion 

Thorne as a replacement no 10 for Vydra is a make shift as it’s not Thornes position .

To be honest it could go either way this season I just want guarantees and to improve the odds. 

Don’t think the Thorne for vydra was a straight ten for ten sub but more a shore up midfield thing

3 minutes ago, archied said:

Don’t think the Thorne for vydra was a straight ten for ten sub but more a shore up midfield thing

Well Thorne was playing the Vydra role at Hull when he was replaced and it didn’t work for me .

Chris Martin is a conundrum for me as he is out in the cold most of the time and Winnall coming on against Millwall before him tells a story .

35 minutes ago, curtains said:

Well Thorne was playing the Vydra role at Hull when he was replaced and it didn’t work for me .

Chris Martin is a conundrum for me as he is out in the cold most of the time and Winnall coming on against Millwall before him tells a story .

Think the point was for Thorne to prioritise winning the midfield battle and play the attacking ten role if the chance arose 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Or Rowett thought that it was winnall turn to have a run around

7 hours ago, curtains said:

I'd agree with you.

i think GR realised that george in the 10 wasnt working, but by that time nothing was. 

It was back to the early season hoofball 

I still think Thorne looks big and he probably needs a month or so to be truly effective.

So in the meantime he may have to settle for sub appearances in the main.

I think we are all yearning for the George of old and hoping that if he’s played in his best position it will all magically flood back to him. Truth is, he’s still a little off the pace and after such a long, debilitating injury, we must be patient as Rowett has been.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

I'd agree with you.

i think GR realised that george in the 10 wasnt working, but by that time nothing was. 

It was back to the early season hoofball 

Think their left back ( right back filling in) was playing out of his skin and we kept trying to do him for pace down that side which wasn’t happening coupled with the fact they were winning the midfield battle just stifled us and we were just so off it in terms of passing accuracy that getting a draw or perhaps nicking a smash and grab one nil was the order of the day ,,, it happens , the big question is whether rowett can get the players back on it or whether we hit a prolonged loss of form and start losing games or drawing too many as has happened in past seasons , we have the squad to be able to do it perhaps a bit more so than under mac1 so let’s see ,

my personal view is he ( rowett)will handle form dips better than Mac or Clements and if so I think that is the key to promotion from this division if you can do it

1 hour ago, archied said:

Think their left back ( right back filling in) was playing out of his skin and we kept trying to do him for pace down that side which wasn’t happening coupled with the fact they were winning the midfield battle just stifled us and we were just so off it in terms of passing accuracy that getting a draw or perhaps nicking a smash and grab one nil was the order of the day ,,, it happens , the big question is whether rowett can get the players back on it or whether we hit a prolonged loss of form and start losing games or drawing too many as has happened in past seasons , we have the squad to be able to do it perhaps a bit more so than under mac1 so let’s see ,

my personal view is he ( rowett)will handle form dips better than Mac or Clements and if so I think that is the key to promotion from this division if you can do it

Why do you think that archied?

GR hasn't had to ride a tough patch out yet.

Archived