'We had the resilience to see the game out'

RoyMac5

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And shouldn't we have expected that and dealt with it better - we want promotion, so yes we should be beating teams like Hull.

Not really. Hull are not Barnsley. From what I saw not many if any will go there and beat them the way adkins has them set up. Shouldn’t Wolves have thrashed Millwall as they aren’t an ex PL team but Wolves couldn’t crack them.

Although Hull were sloppy in front of goal, I was well impressed with them as they fully restricted us and made us look pedestrian, as well as vulnerable.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Although Hull were sloppy in front of goal, I was well impressed with them as they fully restricted us and made us look pedestrian, as well as vulnerable.

So, like Mac in previous seasons Rowett has been found out - he has no Plan B?

State of this thread you’d think we were bopping around 15th...... let alone 2 points of automatics......

Its Dinasouresque people still revert to type and want to harp backwards.....

We are going forwards..... I’ve never known a 0-0 draw after the form we have been in with these players to be dissected into the worlds worst decision by Rowett.

So I’m going to do something and stereotype..... once again this question I’ve posed during this season to some who are not keen on Rowett. Who’d you rather want in? And why?

He probably admit he makes mistakes..... but can’t any of you see the bigger picture? How’s having 2/3 managers a season been working out lately? I’m even applauding Morris here as at least he’s showing a bit of steel with sticking by him when we had a topsy turvey start. 

So come on? You seem to have most of the answers about how to manage a professional football club..... who would be the perfect fit here? Or I’m I going to be searching for a tumbleweed gif?

Its ok to be wrong you know..... I know I am frequently....

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Yes I think he does.

When you listen to GR, he often say "I was tempted to do x" and "I was thinking of doing y earlier" but  he quite often continues with his default plan.

In coaching /management GR is still relatively new and perhaps he still has a bit of learning to gain. He does though seem to get the rewards and thus far it seems to be "fortune" ...he seems to get the outcome even when he does the "wrong" thing. What would it look like if Hull had put those chances away and we lost 0-3 yesterday?!

Team selection for Ipswich will be very revealing I think. 

Agree entirely with this....

He is a relatively inexperienced manager,certainly when dealing with a squad the size of Derbys....he's never had that luxury before.

Ninos is naive to believe that gr is the finished product in fact it's another example of his own irrational bias at work whilst berating other posters for doing the same (in his eyes)

Gary is a good manager who is still learning his trade....let's not pretend he is a faultless Messiah,not yet at least.

Change a winning team? Why? Martin would have been marked out the game yesterday, Hector and Dawson would have stuck to him and Stewart screening him, Nugent recieved majority of passes between WB and CD and tried to stretch game. Right call by Rowett. Change at HT needed? Possibly. Thorne to play more forward but a 0-0 against a revitalised Hull is decent

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

We didn't win and missed a chance to catch up on Top 2, which is where Rowett is aiming for. Could he have changed it around at half-time when it sounded like we weren't fizzing?

Yes he could and it could have had a negative effect too ,, we all have opinions but where my problem lies is with those that take it as definite that if Rowett hadn’t done what he felt was right and done what they thought instead then it would have certainly turned out just as say it would have ,, Rowett has to be judged on results and results over a period of games not 45 minutes of football that in fact we didn’t even lose ,,,,,, sheer madness and anti Rowett based speculation sold as fact

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

He will make good calls and bad calls. Just like every other manager including the elite. 

I don't buy this rotation crap for players who can't get in the team at this point.. That's football, they have to wait for an opportunity and then take it. Just like every other player. It's not under 8s football where we have to keep little Jonny happy. 

2 games a week.. FFS, they are not even that over worked from a performance perspective.

Wait for a loss of individual form or an injury and then in you go. Weimann is a good example.

100% spot on 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Indeed you are quite correct.

My point is that yesterday's game was the obvious one to change things - and from all accounts Derby looked sluggish and leggy. GR didn't change things. 

Hull should have won - but missed their chances and we again got a point. 

I suspect there might be a change v Ipswich. Or possibly 2. 

I didn’t think we looked leggy or sluggish , it was a scrappy game with both sides fighting for everything ,neither side really settled for any length of time in the game ,we shaded first half for me and they shaded the second a bit more than us in first , draw not far off fair result and if either side nicked it one nil you couldn’t really massively complain

23 minutes ago, archied said:

...sheer madness and anti Rowett based speculation sold as fact

Not meant as such is it, well any more than the 'Rowett has put the backbone back into the squad and will have us winning auto promotion' posts...

Is that your best reply 'you can't say it would have happened'? Where was evidence of Rowetts talk of 'horses for courses' in picking his team and playing style, we're as one-dimensional as Mac's team was. When Mac lost he was 'found out' according to some, seems only fair to say the same about Rowett? Of course I believe neither! :lol:

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not meant as such is it, well any more than the 'Rowett has put the backbone back into the squad and will have us winning auto promotion' posts...

Is that your best reply 'you can't say it would have happened'? Where was evidence of Rowetts talk of 'horses for courses' in picking his team and playing style, we're as one-dimensional as Mac's team was. When Mac lost he was 'found out' according to some, seems only fair to say the same about Rowett? Of course I believe neither! :lol:

your welcome to trawl old posts and you won’t find any by me saying Mac was found out ,,, this is championship football with championship standard players ,all this horses for courses thing is being seen as some kind of extreme where we put a whole different side out with totally different style ,tactics and shape ,,, that’s pie in the sky ******** , you build a good team , you get a style and shape that fits and put it out there and hopefully it’s good enough at what it does to win enough to get you up then there will be small tweaks to fit the opposition but small tweaks ,, this is not football manager game it’s real life sport 

within this even if you are doing really well there will be times when thopposition will set up to beat you and you will be a bit under your best whilst they are at their best and you will lose with everybody saying you’ve been found out ,, bahhhh,

i don’t know if Rowett will get us up ,,, all I know is that I was pleased he got the job as I feel he’s a good fresh young manager with promise and at this point is doing a decent job ,, simple as that 

1 hour ago, archied said:

I didn’t think we looked leggy or sluggish , it was a scrappy game with both sides fighting for everything ,neither side really settled for any length of time in the game ,we shaded first half for me and they shaded the second a bit more than us in first , draw not far off fair result and if either side nicked it one nil you couldn’t really massively complain

You definitely watched the match through Rowett tinted glasses if you think they could not have complained at losing one nil.

From my recollections they missed at least 3 chances from within 6 yards! 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You definitely watched the match through Rowett tinted glasses if you think they could not have complained at losing one nil.

From my recollections they missed at least 3 chances from within 6 yards! 

Rowett tinted glasses ?? I said massively complain , they could feel they should have won it but they were not all over us , they did not dominate they weren’t peppering the woodwork , they had a few decent chances that came to nothing through piss poor finishing ,had we been our usual clinical selves they could not have massively complained if we had nicked a 1/0 away win so nothing rose tinted there as I said I thought we were poor with the ball in a game where the opposition were pretty much as poor on the ball too

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Agree entirely with this....

He is a relatively inexperienced manager,certainly when dealing with a squad the size of Derbys....he's never had that luxury before.

Ninos is naive to believe that gr is the finished product in fact it's another example of his own irrational bias at work whilst berating other posters for doing the same (in his eyes)

Gary is a good manager who is still learning his trade....let's not pretend he is a faultless Messiah,not yet at least.

I didn’t say he’s the finished product. I said he’s smart, very smart, and not just in the games but in the effort he puts in to researching the opposition, and coming up with varying gameplans so that when Eyez rapped that  “Rowetts got tactics” he wasn’t kidding ... 

and I agree that the current messiah is not GR ... it’s Vydra!!! :wub:

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So, like Mac in previous seasons Rowett has been found out - he has no Plan B?

I know exactly what you're saying here but it won't go down well with a lot of people on this forum.

Also completely agree with @Ellafella. I think Rowett is a naturally cautious manager. Nothing wrong with that in itself, it's gotten him results so far. However, I'd be curious to see how/if this changes if his current luck desserts him. Would he batten down the hatches or go for it? You'll get more points by winning and losing every other match than drawing every match.

11 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I think Rowett is a naturally cautious manager. Nothing wrong with that in itself, it's gotten him results so far. However, I'd be curious to see how/if this changes if his current luck desserts him. Would he batten down the hatches or go for it? You'll get more points by winning and losing every other match than drawing every match.

I did suggest that if we don't win matches then what do we have with Rowett. I was hoping he'd be more positive against Hull, but he seems happy for us to be 'resilient'. Time will tell as to how things go, but although Rowett seems a pleasant chap I'm not really a fan of his football philosophy.

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I did suggest that if we don't win matches then what do we have with Rowett. I was hoping he'd be more positive against Hull, but he seems happy for us to be 'resilient'. Time will tell as to how things go, but although Rowett seems a pleasant chap I'm not really a fan of his football philosophy.

Who would you rather have instead of Rowett?

He wasnt happy with for us to be resillient, he took it as a positive in a game where we didnt play well with the ball. I still maintain in that game a 0-0 was a damn good result. You know full well any of the McClaren teams would have lost that game.

Geeze, are you suggesting Rowett told them to play like that? Sometimes when i read this forum people actually think the manager is a young lad playing fifa where he controls everything that goes on on the field.

7 hours ago, Ninos said:

I really dislike the innuendo here. Hate it in fact. Because a manager thinks about possibilities and articulates that he’s tactically naive ? Give me a break. Nothing naive about the way he coaches or manages. You want to talk naive managers, we’ve had our share before him. 

To me, thinking about and articulating his various options shows he’s smart, a thinker, and has flexibility. This isn’t “fortunate” management at all.

His subsitutions have been impact for the most part - either locking down wins or getting goals. Yesterday the midfield needed fixing and he adjusted it by taking off our star forward to try to resolve it. It stole us a point. 

Interesting polemic there @Ninos; There's no innuendo; You actually introduce the word naive. I didn't. My point was much more philosophical about the nature of success; GR often talks about "the fine margins". I think he is revealing himself to be a quite brilliant strategist; he clearly thinks very deeply about the risks...he analyses to death, and then seems to, more often than not, decide he was right with his default choice. Hull should have scored 3 times yesterday...but they didn't. So a very scrappy point has actually become a little nugget of gold...75-odd minutes of dog-rough football all worth it for the little nugget of a point. 

When I was a football coach/manager, I often thought about making changes, tweaks and also major changes but quite often decided "if it aint broke, don't fix it". GR seems to do the same. Yesterday, I would have started with Thorne {instead of Hudd}, and also Martin {For Nugent} and Winnall would have been introduced as a sub. All about fresh legs and keeping everybody "on board". Arguably though, GR got it right...we got a point to a team who were baying for blood after that 5-0 televised humbling. So job done. Very well done GR.

I'm very intrigued as to Saturday's selection...If he doesn't start with Thorne and Martin/Winnall, I will actually eat my hat. 

Archived