'We had the resilience to see the game out'

RoyMac5

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

It's good to take points from battling performances sometimes. You can't win every game so it's important that you can get something from games when you don't play well.

That being said the point came about purely down to their poor finishing! 

True .

We did have one exceptional  chance with I think Wiemann with a header over and Vydra got around the back of their defense both at the end of the first half but couldn’t find a man.  

The game was end to end though even if Hull had the slightly better chances. 

We can’t complain about our strikers this season though as our finishing has been mostly good this season 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me I would have brought Russel on for Jono at half time but that’s just my opinion and it by no means makes me right and Rowett wrong as he could have come on and made no difference or been worse and we lost the game ,,,

a game too far for jono? Really? How many has he played in a row ? 

Pall this rotation stuff is just another stick to beat Rowett with for the usual suspects for the usual reason , ie he is not starting their favs ,

fair play but let’s have it like it is 

3 minutes ago, archied said:

For me I would have brought Russel on for Jono at half time but that’s just my opinion and it by no means makes me right and Rowett wrong as he could have come on and made no difference or been worse and we lost the game ,,,

a game too far for jono? Really? How many has he played in a row ? 

Pall this rotation stuff is just another stick to beat Rowett with for the usual suspects for the usual reason , ie he is not starting their favs ,

fair play but let’s have it like it is 

Lawrence did well when he came on for Jono who  really got clattering but before that was doing ok. 

Team selection was no problem as far as I was concerned yesterday and neither were the substitutions. 

46 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Fair question.Hope you had a good Christmas.

Thanks. Yeah I did, too much Christmas fizz. :) So I was hoping for a Boxing Day pressie as well, but we sounded very flat.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas too?

6 minutes ago, archied said:

Pall this rotation stuff is just another stick to beat Rowett with for the usual suspects for the usual reason , ie he is not starting their favs ...fair play but let’s have it like it is 

We didn't win and missed a chance to catch up on Top 2, which is where Rowett is aiming for. Could he have changed it around at half-time when it sounded like we weren't fizzing?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

We didn't win and missed a chance to catch up on Top 2, which is where Rowett is aiming for. Could he have changed it around at half-time when it sounded like we weren't fizzing?

We were doing ok before half time and were on top at that stage. 

Who told you we weren’t 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Lawrence did well when he came on for Jono who  really got clattering but before that was doing ok. 

Team selection was no problem as far as I was concerned yesterday and neither were the substitutions. 

Me too , if I have a negative I’m not convinced by Lawrence yet but am open to change my view

He will make good calls and bad calls. Just like every other manager including the elite. 

I don't buy this rotation crap for players who can't get in the team at this point.. That's football, they have to wait for an opportunity and then take it. Just like every other player. It's not under 8s football where we have to keep little Jonny happy. 

2 games a week.. FFS, they are not even that over worked from a performance perspective.

Wait for a loss of individual form or an injury and then in you go. Weimann is a good example.

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Was it just me or did GR make substitutions today that are pretty identical to those he makes when trying to see a game out having established a lead.

Swapping out our main attacking threat for an extra centre mid seemed odd.

Changes were also too late - which is often the case.

Perhaps he needs to think differently to suit different circumstances..

Yes I think he does.

When you listen to GR, he often say "I was tempted to do x" and "I was thinking of doing y earlier" but  he quite often continues with his default plan.

In coaching /management GR is still relatively new and perhaps he still has a bit of learning to gain. He does though seem to get the rewards and thus far it seems to be "fortune" ...he seems to get the outcome even when he does the "wrong" thing. What would it look like if Hull had put those chances away and we lost 0-3 yesterday?!

Team selection for Ipswich will be very revealing I think. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Yes I think he does.

When you listen to GR, he often say "I was tempted to do x" and "I was thinking of doing y earlier" but  he quite often continues with his default plan.

In coaching /management GR is still relatively new and perhaps he still has a bit of learning to gain. He does though seem to get the rewards and thus far it seems to be "fortune" ...he seems to get the outcome even when he does the "wrong" thing. What would it look like if Hull had put those chances away and we lost 0-3 yesterday?!

But we got a good draw. 

What makes you think the changes would have made us win rather than lose. 

We had  chances also ! 

Thats Football. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

But we got a good draw. 

What makes you think the changes would have made us win rather than lose. 

We had  chances also ! 

Thats Football. 

Indeed you are quite correct.

My point is that yesterday's game was the obvious one to change things - and from all accounts Derby looked sluggish and leggy. GR didn't change things. 

Hull should have won - but missed their chances and we again got a point. 

I suspect there might be a change v Ipswich. Or possibly 2. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Indeed you are quite correct.

My point is that yesterday's game was the obvious one to change things - and from all accounts Derby looked sluggish and leggy. GR didn't change things. 

Hull should have won - but missed their chances and we again got a point. 

I suspect there might be a change v Ipswich. Or possibly 2. 

The thing is I don’t think we were leggy but I do think Hull were at  us quickly and I give Hull a lot of credit for the way they played.

They didn’t give Derby a rest. 

What  changes would you make ! 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

The thing is I don’t think we were leggy but I do think Hull were at  us quickly and I give Hull a lot of credit for the way they played.

They didn’t give Derby a rest. 

And shouldn't we have expected that and dealt with it better - we want promotion, so yes we should be beating teams like Hull.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

And shouldn't we have expected that and dealt with it better - we want promotion, so yes we should be beating teams like Hull.

I predicted 1-1 before the game but I thought we might lose. 

It was always going to be a tough game away on Boxing Day  

55 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes I think he does.

I really dislike the innuendo here. Hate it in fact. Because a manager thinks about possibilities and articulates that he’s tactically naive ? Give me a break. Nothing naive about the way he coaches or manages. You want to talk naive managers, we’ve had our share before him. 

To me, thinking about and articulating his various options shows he’s smart, a thinker, and has flexibility. This isn’t “fortunate” management at all.

His subsitutions have been impact for the most part - either locking down wins or getting goals. Yesterday the midfield needed fixing and he adjusted it by taking off our star forward to try to resolve it. It stole us a point. 

Archived