'We had the resilience to see the game out'

RoyMac5

16 minutes ago, curtains said:

If you want the best like Liverpool you have to pay the going rate. 

Football is not like any other business Van Dyke will prove a bargain if Liverpool win honours something Derby haven’t done in years. 

Dortmund bought Mat Hummels for 4million Euros and they won the league twice and three domestic cups. 

Bayern Munich resigned him on a free, two years after he won the world cup. He has since won two cups and the league once with them.

In comparison Van Dijk has won the Scottish League three times with Celtic. 

I know who could be worth £75mil, and it ain't who Liverpool just signed. 

EDIT: oh and Hummels is only 3 years older.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bargains at Derby County:

Chris Martin came on a free and has scored over 50 goals for us. That's a bargain.

Keogh was signed for less than £1 million and has been our best defender since Igor. That's a bargain.

Carson was signed on a free and has been our best goalkeeper since Poom. That's a bargain.

Lesley was signed on a free and has been pivotal in our push towards the automatic places. That's a bargain.

Craig Forsyth came on loan as a winger and turned out to be a really good left back. £250,000 for one of the leagues best left backs. Bargain.

Chris Baird came on a free at the age of 57 and has become Mr Reliable, displacing both first choice right backs. Bargain.

It is possible to get bargains you know. 

14 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Keogh was signed for less than £1 million and has been our best defender since Igor. That's a bargain.

Carson was signed on a free and has been our best goalkeeper since Poom. That's a bargain.

Keogh was just over a million wasn't he, £1.3m the numbers I found online. Also Carson was an undisclosed fee, not a free but still bargains.

30 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Dortmund bought Mat Hummels for 4million Euros and they won the league twice and three domestic cups. 

Bayern Munich resigned him on a free, two years after he won the world cup. He has since won two cups and the league once with them.

In comparison Van Dijk has won the Scottish League three times with Celtic. 

I know who could be worth £75mil, and it ain't who Liverpool just signed. 

EDIT: oh and Hummels is only 3 years older.

So could Liverpool sign Hummels then.  Did Jurgen  want him. 

26 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Chris Martin came on a free and has scored over 50 goals for us. That's a bargain.

Lesley was signed on a free and has been pivotal in our push towards the automatic places. That's a bargain.

Craig Forsyth came on loan as a winger and turned out to be a really good left back. £250,000 for one of the leagues best left backs. Bargain.

Chris Baird came on a free at the age of 57 and has become Mr Reliable, displacing both first choice right backs. Bargain.

Chris Martin is arguably one of the best free transfers in the history of the Championship. That bit of business, along with the deals for Forsyth, Bryson and Keogh, were all staples of the excellent job Nigel Clough did here.

One of the things I like about Rowett is that he seems to have a bit of that Clough-quality. Curtis Davies, Ledley and, to an extent, Huddlestone were all "bargains", especially when you look at the market inflation these days.

I've said it a few times now, but I hope whatever business we do in this window mirrors this type of policy to some extent. Cheap gambles on young, hungry talent this time!

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Chris Martin is arguably one of the best free transfers in the history of the Championship. That bit of business, along with the deals for Forsyth, Bryson and Keogh, were all staples of the excellent job Nigel Clough did here.

One of the things I like about Rowett is that he seems to have a bit of that Clough-quality. Curtis Davies, Ledley and, to an extent, Huddlestone were all "bargains", especially when you look at the market inflation these days.

I've said it a few times now, but I hope whatever business we do in this window mirrors this type of policy to some extent. Cheap gambles on young, hungry talent this time!

I agree although we were very lucky with ledley as we mucked up with midfield in all reality and ledley was simply available and he liked what he saw and what we paid him! 

43 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Actually, I think Baird's 60. He was born in 1923 and I think he wears Brylcream as modelled by Sir Denis Compton. We paid 6 shillings and threppence-ha'peney for him. 

38 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

If we could find a centre forward who turns as quick as @Curtains, that would be a £10m bargain. 

Could say he could get a player to play in the hole...... he’s pretty good at digging them. 

1 hour ago, David said:

If Vydra's goals fire us to the Premier League, you could argue £8m is a bargain with the prize money you receive, same as the Lawrence fee if he proves to be a key part of the team that takes us up I guess.

As for Virgil van Dijk thats probably the first and last time I will see his £75m fee ever being called a bargain. 

Plenty of saints fans round here using the term "bargain" followed by some sniggering about VVD. 

The escalation of football fees seems to mean that virtually half the premier league signings have become 'bargains'. If VVD is worth £75m then Lukaku must be a right bargain at £80m. 

but in the championship its hard enough finding the right players without also insisting that every signing is also a bargain.

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

sykt9f.jpg

You can pick up an original Anthony Van Dyck self-portrait for about £13million. Bargain. :mellow:

Facially he looks a bit like Bobby Davison.  Now there's a bargain.

Archived