'We had the resilience to see the game out'

RoyMac5

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes he plays one way. The way that has us 2 points off automatic promotion. Not let a goal in for hours, hardly lost a game for ages. I wasn’t a big fan of his to begin with. But sometimes it’s better to admit like me, you  were wrong about a manager. Rather than using a decent away point to try and make a point of your own 

Would have liked us to have gone for it more today rather than being cautious. If his excuse is that the players were tired then he should have changed the team up by bringing players like Thorne and Martin into the side. Yes I know we can't win every game but Hull have one of the worst defences in the league so I would have liked to see us score a few( as we scored 5 against them earlier this season).

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So did Mac.

One thing I will say about McClaren is that he knew when it was best to rotate whereas Rowett seems to be struggling a little with knowing when to rotate.  McClaren rotated the wingers very often so they would be fresh and motivated for the next game.

47 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why didn't Rowett change it at half-time, wasn't it obvious by then we weren't having a good game? Or where we?

What happened to 'horses for courses'? It seems Rowett only plays one way.

Who’d you have as manager?

I could give a lot of hindsight views on how the team should selection should have gone, but i will say this:

We were poor and offered very little, but we got a point away at Hull. We currently have 4 points from Hull, 3 points from Boro and 1 point from Sunderland. We would have snapped anyone's hand off if we thought that would be the case come Christmas.

I don't mind Rowett making the wrong choices if we still pick up points.

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I don't mind Rowett making the wrong choices if we still pick up points.

Maybe. If I thought he was learning from it. I'm not sure he is. Again he comes across as all talk - according to GR we were supposed to have a squad to play different ways as the opposition necessitated. Is that happening? Can see Martin being pushed out as per Hughes. I miss Hughes and Martin and Bryson tbh.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe. If I thought he was learning from it. I'm not sure he is. Again he comes across as all talk  - according to GR we were supposed to have a squad to play different ways as the opposition necessitated. Is that happening? Can see Martin being pushed out as per Hughes. I miss Hughes and Martin and Bryson tbh.

How much would you change a side that’s got 13 out of the last 15 points with 0 goals conceded? Say results are matching “all talk”

Let 13/14 go.....

Just now, Mafiabob said:

How much would you change a side that’s got 13 out of the last 15 points with 0 goals conceded? Say results are matching “all talk”

Let 13/14 go.....

Why? We played great football and had good players. If we were to go up with Rowett you have to hope he'd be learning. I've already said I think he's stolid, there's no spark. Without that he'll not keep his job even if he takes us up, IMHO.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe. If I thought he was learning from it. I'm not sure he is. Again he comes across as all talk - according to GR we were supposed to have a squad to play different ways as the opposition necessitated. Is that happening? Can see Martin being pushed out as per Hughes. I miss Hughes and Martin and Bryson tbh.

Totally agree, I can see Thorne and Russell also being pushed out (along with Martin) if they don't play much between now and the January transfer window opening. I'd like to keep all of them ideally but all of them are good enough to start for another top 6 team so I wouldn't blame them if they're not happy sitting on the bench. 

However, I will give Rowett some benefit of the doubt as this is the first time he has been in this high up in the championship competing with the top 2 so a lack of experience may be showing. At Birmingham, he may not have had the resources or players to rotate so he had no choice but to play the same team regularly, whereas here, he has several established upper table championship players so he may not know when the right time is to incorporate these players into the team.

13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Let 13/14 go.....

I appreciate what you are saying....we are currently doing really well and thats bloody brilliant.

My concern is whether it's sustainable if some rotation doesn't start taking place.....

I'm the first to admit I'm a massive advocate of martin,thorne and Russell but I'm only a fan because of their abilities and excitement that they can generate with their game.......however,if they were our constant first team choices and nugent,hudders and weiman were sitting out every game I'd be calling for rotation to take place so that we didn't lose players to injury or exhaustion needlessly and so that we had players in the squad who could take over at a moment's notice and perform to the same level.

I also wouldn't want to lose players to another team who are vital back up to the squad,just because they don't feel valued and are getting pissed off.......I can tell you now,my worst nightmare would be coming up against martin and Thorne in a rival team who knew how to use them.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Totally agree, I can see Thorne and Russell also being pushed out (along with Martin) if they don't play much between now and the January transfer window opening. I'd like to keep all of them ideally but all of them are good enough to start for another top 6 team so I wouldn't blame them if they're not happy sitting on the bench. 

Whilst I'm sure we will have players on the bench disappointed by the limited game time they have had, I'm sure there is also an understanding that whilst the team is playing well the manager is unlikely to change the team. 

What you hope is that rather than sulking they go out and show the manager why they should be playing when called upon which will probably be Ipswich for a few. 

Today is the first game for a while where you can say they wasn't on it, isn't like we've been playing poorly week in week out yet failed to change anything. 

Given our position in the table I doubt any of them would be looking to jump ship next month.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why? We played great football and had good players. If we were to go up with Rowett you have to hope he'd be learning. I've already said I think he's stolid, there's no spark. Without that he'll not keep his job even if he takes us up, IMHO.

We lost to qpr. Won **** all. I loved that season but it ended in disappointment. This one may just be different but only time will tell. As for next year, Klopp, Pep or Jose wouldn’t keep this team up. But if we get up, we won’t have this team 

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I give up

11 minutes ago, David said:

Whilst I'm sure we will have players on the bench disappointed by the limited game time they have had, I'm sure there is also an understanding that whilst the team is playing well the manager is unlikely to change the team. 

What you hope is that rather than sulking they go out and show the manager why they should be playing when called upon which will probably be Ipswich for a few. 

Today is the first game for a while where you can say they wasn't on it, isn't like we've been playing poorly week in week out yet failed to change anything. 

Given our position in the table I doubt any of them would be looking to jump ship next month.

I wouldn't be so sure david...they are motivated players who want to be the best they can be.

And let's be honest,gr hasnt been totally consistent with his approach to selection or with rewarding players who have done well.

For instance,Russell has made great impact over the previous few games,scored three good goals and still not been selected to start.

Martin has started a game,played well and we won the game...to find hes not selected for the last two at all....

If it was me,I'd be considering my options....who wants to be second,third or fourth choice for your job if another top team comes calling with offers of regular starts?

1 minute ago, David said:

That's what you hope for but the reality may be different. Thorne, Russell and Martin don't seem like the type to be happy sitting on the bench, regardless of our position in the league. That's especially the case with Russell and Thorne as their contracts are up at the end of the season.

Whilst I hear what you're saying, Thorne was our best player against Burton and made it into the team of the week but hasn't started since, I really don't understand that so Rowett didn't reward him for playing well. Likewise, Russell has scored a few recently so he must be feeling that he cannot do anymore to force his way into the team. There's only so much a player can do before their motivation turns into frustration (which would not be deliberate but is a natural human reaction) and it escalates, which could harm squad morale. I think that's why Rowett stated at the start of the season that he'd prefer to work with a smaller squad.

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That's what you hope for but the reality may be different. Thorne, Russell and Martin don't seem like the type to be happy sitting on the bench, regardless of our position in the league. That's especially the case with Russell and Thorne as their contracts are up at the end of the season.

Whilst I hear what you're saying, Thorne was our best player against Burton and made it into the team of the week but hasn't started since, I really don't understand that so Rowett didn't reward him for playing well. Likewise, Russell has scored a few recently so he must be feeling that he cannot do anymore to force his way into the team. There's only so much a player can do before their motivation turns into frustration (which would not be deliberate but is a natural human reaction) and it escalates, which could harm squad morale. I think that's why Rowett stated at the start of the season that he'd prefer to work with a smaller squad.

I wouldn't want any player at this football club that was happy to sit on the bench, I don't doubt for a second that Thorne, Russell and Martin are the type that would be happy.

The thing is you're creating some kind of issue of unrest in the dressing room based on your lack of understanding of Rowett's team selections which have seen us rise to 3rd in the table, remarkable if we have done this with a squad low on morale.

8 minutes ago, David said:

I wouldn't want any player at this football club that was happy to sit on the bench, I don't doubt for a second that Thorne, Russell and Martin are the type that would be happy.

The thing is you're creating some kind of issue of unrest in the dressing room based on your lack of understanding of Rowett's team selections which have seen us rise to 3rd in the table, remarkable if we have done this with a squad low on morale.

Nobody is creating anything......or saying there is a current lack of morale.

However....

What is being said is that those players won't accept not starting games occasionally and will look to better themselves if it continued.

Archived