Delicate workplace problem - help needed.

Rev

I work in a small company, engineering  environment. 

After lunch break, went into the holding area next door to the machine shop to select my next job.

It was empty of people, but had been recently visited by a colleague, on walking through I was grabbed by the smell of death, and having the worlds worst gag reflex, I promptly vomited into my mouth.

Whilst making my way to the bin to clear my mouth, said colleague walked back in and the smell hit me again x10.

I puked again, filling up my mouth similar to how a pelican would feed it's young, or a 16yr old on his first night of Snakebite might, and managed to rush next door and deposit my lunch in a handily placed plastic box, much to the amusement of my fellow workers.

Smelly fellow associates are nothing new, normally we pin them down and disgorge the contents of a air freshener so that they may get the message, but if you swop the word colleague above for Managing Director you may get my predicament.

How on earth do you tell your boss, the man you rely on for your income, that he fookin stinks?

He's a big man, 6'5" at a guess, and maybe 30 st, which I can only assume precludes him from normal bathing, and indeed arse wiping, hence the progressively worse nature of his aroma Monday to Friday.

I'm guessing he gets the workers at the local hand car wash to give him the once over at weekends, but that doesn't help us lads come Friday.

How can I cope with this situation, other than calling in sick every Thurs/Fri?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good advice all. 

The polite angle has been tried, suggesting that a pack of wild hounds has made a bed of his clothes, his cologne doesn't suit him, an airwick in every room, etc etc.

I can only assume he thinks the Yankee Candle burning from every flat surface adds to the Zen of the place.

Casually drop the name of the company you work for on here, anonymously of course.

I'll give him a call today, tell him we're looking for a world renowned stink pig for the next Stink Pig World Cup (obviously to be held somewhere in Nottingham!! :-)  and he comes highly recommended as the flag bearer.

be mindful not to humiliate him. It's a very tender subject, and perhaps one best handled by Human Resources.

I once worked with a bloke whose feet smelt like ....er.... something I cannot describe, one day, he was sitting opposite me during lunch and I got a whiff of his rotten feet (with boots on) under the table as tucking into my cob. I nearly vomited too. Ended up slamming my half eaten cob on the table and saying something like "ffs Mick, you're f***** feet f***** stink and you've ruined my f***** lunch! Sort it out, it's bang out of order in this day and age!".

I got a slapped wrist off the manager for being insensitive.

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

be mindful not to humiliate him. It's a very tender subject, and perhaps one best handled by Human Resources.

I once worked with a bloke whose feet smelt like ....er.... something I cannot describe, one day, he was sitting opposite me during lunch and I got a whiff of his rotten feet (with boots on) under the table as tucking into my cob. I nearly vomited too. Ended up slamming my half eaten cob on the table and saying something like "ffs Mick, you're f***** feet f***** stink and you've ruined my f***** lunch! Sort it out, it's bang out of order in this day and age!".

I got a slapped wrist off the manager for being insensitive.

Hold up, did he take his shoes off at dinner or that bad the smell leaked through the leather? If so that’s beyond bad, never smelt anyone feet whilst in shoes

Archived