Style v Substance

Results v Performance  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, clarkeram7 said:

Is it just me who prefers this style of football? I mean we aren't the finished article and like Rowett said we know we can play more consistently than these 10/15 min spells in games but when we click we look awesome. The Reading game is huge exception, we lost the goals at the wrong time paired with losing Ledley and Keogh. The third one by Davies killed the game when maybe if we'd scored first we course have taken something. 

Without looking at the stats we must be creating more chances in games on average than the last two seasons at least. Also the people who are giving Huddlestone abuse don't understand football, if you're looking for a ankle biting midfielder who dashes about he isn't and has never been that. He's suffered because all season he hasn't had that player next to him, but when he gets a yard of space he's our best playmaker and attacking threat. Some of the balls he was playing the other night were top top quality.. refreshing from the side ways stuff we we're playing last few years. He's been instrumental in the build up to most goals we have scored. 

It's not just you but it's certainly not me.....

It's been poor every match I've been to this season in my opinion,the only good bits were the Cardiff second half and yesterday's second half performance.

I'm not sure how the rest can be genuinely enjoyed but it just goes to show that we all see different things and different things make us happy.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the things our fans pick apart our team for every team is guilty of. Stop watching barca, man city, PSG and watch comparable football.

See the Brentford miss the other week? That's our level. Championship football is what it is and 1970s Holland we ain't. Long live derby county

On 11/22/2017 at 11:56, cannable said:

Sides that perform their way out of the Championship stay up and entertain.

Results football sees you straight back down or existing in some Tony Pulis fuelled half-life AT BEST.

Brighton are making a decent fist of their first PL season -10th and looking likely to stay up.

Hughton is a renowned safety-first manager who is happy to sit back on a 1-0 lead....seems to work for the Seagulls who get very good crowds at The Amex.

From my experience, and it is stating the bloody obvious, but I think sometimes fans forget it, you need to many different ways of hurting the oppositon.

There's so many different challenges in the Championship and it is so competitive it is very hard to dominate sides. Under Hughton last season we did try to dominate possession and play through the lines but sometimes you can't do that. We were lethal on the counter attack and won a number of games over the past couple of seasons with breaks from opposition corners etc. We could also go direct to Murray and Hemed, with the centre backs getting up there too. Brentford away springs to mind with Hemed and Duffy both heading goals in a 3-3 draw in a game where we just had to lump the ball in. On other occasions we'd press from the front, get on the front foot, get an early goal and never look back.

Happy with the results and league position. No doubt we are more solid and harder to beat. In Vydra we have a striker who can do nowt all game and cone out with a hat trick. We are effective and scoring some decent goals. All of this us great.

Doesn't mean we can't improve the quality of our performances though. Especially at home. I'm delighted where were are but I still want to see us progressing and trying to dominate games a bit more. We have the players to do this AND the grittier core needed to be resilient.

No reason why you can't have both style and substance, and that's what every team should be aiming for.  However, if pushed I'd still rather win playing badly than lose playing really well.  If we win playing really well then fantastic.

While I've always been somebody who wants to be 'entertained' at football, I don't decide on whether to renew my season ticket or attend games based on our style of play or what division we are in.  Entertainment and enjoying the nuance of football isn't based soley on how many passes it takes to get a shot in or how much one-touch football you play.  I do think 'tempo' is often a recurring theme for me with regard to what I consider more enjoyable but that doesn't have to be high possession based play, it can be very direct for me as well... Last Tuesday's first half was dull for me because it was played so slowly, not because of any hoofball tactics.

In any event, I go to the matches, and will continue to while I can afford it and live in the area, because generally I enjoy going to football, seeing mates, having a laugh and - of course - going in the hope that we will win and play well doing it.  I don't think GR's style so far is doomed to be Pulis-esque dross for ever and a day.  I think this is a long term project and we are building something over the long term.  Slow start perhaps in terms of being pleasing on the eye, but I'm actually more interested than I have been in a while to see how things pan out and how the team is going to evolve.  Think we're building a solid foundation.  For me, that also ticks the 'entertainment' box as its holding my interest.

Style never got us over the line, all it takes is injury to a flair player who you cannot replace like for like and you must  change things to adapt ruining momentum.

Teamwork and grafting for results in a more conservative fashion offers more consistency, fitting players to a system rather than vice versa. 

In some ways Mac managed to marry the two for a while, sticking largely to an attacking methodology and with a number of interchangeable players, but when there was no Thorne or Martin and things had to change the wheels fell off.

In any given season most would assign a downturn in fortunes to an injury to some player or other at some point, but by playing in a way where it becomes easier to stop this becoming a factor you're surely less likely to come across the problem.

Rowett isn't the kind of manager I expect to return us to Schteveball and never was but I'm pretty confident over his career he will be able to organise most sides he ends up at to become more resilient and consistent, and maybe bring some success along the way.

We can no longer compete with Wolves or Boro financially and others will grow faster than us, so the best way to stay in that mix is to adapt and be the team that  finds them out and gets the result, whilst consistently putting those bottom half sides to the sword. 

My worry at this time is that rowett gets disillusioned with Derby and wants out first time a half decent job comes along ,,, for me you can already sense his frustration with the fans reaction at times and watching his recent interview on rams tv having to defend and justify himself when questioned about style and performance , it's very clear that he wants to and knows he has to get results first and foremost and feels that is based and built on hard work and has to be in place before you can achieve anything ,, 

for me there is a section of the fan base that are totally undervaluing him and the job he is doing ,, 

1 hour ago, archied said:

My worry at this time is that rowett gets disillusioned with Derby and wants out first time a half decent job comes along ,,, for me you can already sense his frustration with the fans reaction at times and watching his recent interview on rams tv having to defend and justify himself when questioned about style and performance , it's very clear that he wants to and knows he has to get results first and foremost and feels that is based and built on hard work and has to be in place before you can achieve anything ,, 

for me there is a section of the fan base that are totally undervaluing him and the job he is doing ,, 

He’s a stronger personality with strong self belief so not too worried about that ... plus he’s a man on a mission at Derby

other thing is how is a guy supposed to get a team both winning and playing stunning football when he’s had but one transfer window. He’s added some he’s cut some he’s extracted value from existing staff but the product we see is not yet his end product. Give him time to get it all firing on all cylinders - post Jan would be the first time we can really assess it ... 

So people are saying we aren't attacking enough? Yet we're joint 5th in goals scored and played a game less than everyone above us.. and in numerous games we could have scored more.

I'm absolutely baffled. Yes the system is different but we've become harder to beat not more defensive!

50 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He’s a stronger personality with strong self belief so not too worried about that ... plus he’s a man on a mission at Derby

other thing is how is a guy supposed to get a team both winning and playing stunning football when he’s had but one transfer window. He’s added some he’s cut some he’s extracted value from existing staff but the product we see is not yet his end product. Give him time to get it all firing on all cylinders - post Jan would be the first time we can really assess it ... 

Your preaching to the choir with me ,,, i saw enough early on to feel he should be given time to build ,,of course you can never be 100 percent any manager will succeed but for me I see enough positives to be very happy and could not name another manager I would replace him with ( in the realms of reality not fantasy appointments ) and I have been stunned at the level of negative views from some fans towards him ,so much so that there's been an almost pathological refusal to see anything positive about him ,,, course it's getting harder and harder to justify holding that position

9 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

So people are saying we aren't attacking enough? Yet we're joint 5th in goals scored and played a game less than everyone above us.. and in numerous games we could have scored more.

I'm absolutely baffled. Yes the system is different but we've become harder to beat not more defensive!

Thats because GR has instilled grit and determination along with a patently obvious extremely good team spirit Now we can see why  Hughes ,Christie and Ince had to go

11 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Thats because GR has instilled grit and determination along with a patently obvious extremely good team spirit Now we can see why  Hughes ,Christie and Ince had to go

Hughes, Christie and Ince all having played in the Mac 2 grindathon...

I'm not sure it was quite why they all went. I think if he had it his way he'd have kept Ince. Christie simply just isn't good enough. Personally I think we've flogged them at the right time, I doubt they'll be worth anymore than what we got for them again. 

I think he made a smart move with the system we play.. it was either play Hughes, Bryson or Butterfield as part of a 3 or get your money's worth out of Vydra as number 10. Vydra in that role contributes to us more in terms of goals and assists. 

I'm not voting .. why ? because its like being accused of witchcraft ... sink and you're innocent float and you are damned.

We have had some results after some dull football but this is only because we are rebuilding not because we are destined to be dull but effective. 

So carry on Gary ... Lawrence, Nuge and Vydra will provide enough thrills to offset solid defending and the odd long ball thank you very much !

side note ... when is a long ball a defence splitting gem ?

6 hours ago, Rample said:

Style never got us over the line, all it takes is injury to a flair player who you cannot replace like for like and you must  change things to adapt ruining momentum.

Teamwork and grafting for results in a more conservative fashion offers more consistency, fitting players to a system rather than vice versa. 

Look what happened when Keogh and Ledley were injured...

3 hours ago, archied said:

He's in the wrong job if he's worried about what the customers say.

Archived