Style v Substance

Results v Performance  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, jagerbob said:

Answer.

I dont give a stuff.

I will support this team no matter what.

Even if we go down to the third tier.

1 defeat in 10, continuing to win matches and pick up points in difficult fixtures.

1 defeat in 10, and still people moan that its not Steve McClaren football.

Let me remind you we probably have the equivalent of one good season where the "entertaining" and i use this word very loosly - actually worked.

It took us till autumn for us to start winning in 2014, in 2015, the wheels were coming off in december despite us making it to top spot on boxing day. Wasalls time and Mcclaren MkII were hugely inconsistant, and despite trying the same style, was on the whole boring, possesion for the sake of it, without any excitement, chances created, or shots on goal.

Anyone who thinks we used to play attractive football, and dismisses every time huddlestone puts a glorious ball through as long ball football. they have serious rose tinted glasses on, who can only ever remember good times in the past, and have learnt to blank out all those bad performances.

Support the club.

In our current run, if you still see fit to complain and demand Huddlestone be dropped, do us all a favour and go find another hobby, or perhaps you can support west ham they too are full of snobbish fans who behave more like the mob in the collesium than they do real football fans.

Huddlestone was further forward last night not crowding the back 4 that’s why he was better. 

Simple really .

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Answer.

I dont give a stuff.

I will support this team no matter what.

Even if we go down to the third tier.

1 defeat in 10, continuing to win matches and pick up points in difficult fixtures.

1 defeat in 10, and still people moan that its not Steve McClaren football.

Let me remind you we probably have the equivalent of one good season where the "entertaining" and i use this word very loosly - actually worked.

It took us till autumn for us to start winning in 2014, in 2015, the wheels were coming off in december despite us making it to top spot on boxing day. Wasalls time and Mcclaren MkII were hugely inconsistant, and despite trying the same style, was on the whole boring, possesion for the sake of it, without any excitement, chances created, or shots on goal.

Anyone who thinks we used to play attractive football, and dismisses every time huddlestone puts a glorious ball through as long ball football. they have serious rose tinted glasses on, who can only ever remember good times in the past, and have learnt to blank out all those bad performances.

Support the club.

In our current run, if you still see fit to complain and demand Huddlestone be dropped, do us all a favour and go find another hobby, or perhaps you can support west ham they too are full of snobbish fans who behave more like the mob in the collesium than they do real football fans.

Mel?

This hurts my head.

We are a different team now. A good performance in Rowetts eyes is limiting the opposite team to chances and being clinical when we get ours.

We aren't gonna see fast flowing possession football, so does that mean you aren't going to see a good 'performance' all season?

A good performance now is being solid as a unit and being tough to break down and I think I have seen that in the last 10 games (apart from Reading.

So in my eyes, we are getting performances and results!

The signings he’s made seem to suit a Leicester counter-attack. In effect we saw this for the first goal and the second half - balls in behind on the counter. 

But usually the system’s been an attempt at a free-flowing 4-2-3-1 with players that don’t fit. 

It may well look a lot better with a tweak of system or personnel.

The two are not mutually exclusive

Both

more relevant

defend or attack? Attack

in possession or out of possession ? In possession

hoof or pass? Pass

I don't get this. The title says style vs substance, but then the poll says results vs performance?

That's not the same thing. Even the ugly  Billy Davies team performed well in the Championship, even if the football wasn't great.

Would I rather win games than play fancy football? Win games. Results matter. 

Would I rather we won performing badly or lost performing well? I'd prefer to lose performing well and being unlucky than ride our luck and steal wins. If you perform well, the results will come.

I think this another one of those one sided polls where the original poster knows exactly what people will say but you'd have to be a moron to prefer your team to perform badly than to perform well so the question makes no sense

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

The two are not mutually exclusive

Both

more relevant

defend or attack? Attack

in possession or out of possession ? In possession

hoof or pass? Pass

This.

Some seem to be suggesting that by asking for better football that you're asking for 70% possession and 500 passes.

Like I said last night. There a huge gap between what we play now and what Pep plays. To suggest not liking the football now means you want pointless Clement passing is stupid.

The football is boring. Less boring, a bit more skill, accuracy and attacking intent is what I want. 

No way on earth is there a link between less possession and passes and winning. So it's not a choice between winning ugly and losing pretty

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

This.

Some seem to be suggesting that by asking for better football that you're asking for 70% possession and 500 passes.

Like I said last night. There a huge gap between what we play now and what Pep plays. To suggest not liking the football now means you want pointless Clement passing is stupid.

The football is boring. Less boring, a bit more skill, accuracy and attacking intent is what I want. 

No way on earth is there a link between less possession and passes and winning. So it's not a choice between winning ugly and losing pretty

Is this better football. 

1 minute ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Not great that day but this was better...

Point is people looking through rose tinted glasses regarding McClaren . 

I was at Rotherham that game and it was a nightmare. McClaren had to throw 3 subs on at once when went 3-1 down to Rotherham with the likes of Lingard , Ince . Hughes etc . What was the excuse that day. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Point is people looking through rose tinted glasses regarding McClaren . 

I was at Rotherham that game and it was a nightmare. McClaren had to throw 3 subs on at once when went 3-1 down to Rotherham with the likes of Lingard , Ince . Hughes etc . What was the excuse that day. 

One bad game rights off all the good games? I guess the 3-1 loss against Sheffield United makes Rowett a complete failure. 

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

One bad game rights off all the good games? I guess the 3-1 loss against Sheffield United makes Rowett a complete failure. 

More than one bad game what about when we needed a draw at home to Reading to reach the playoffs and lost 3-0.  Another McClaren howler 

17 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I'm not calling you stupid mate but that's a stupid poll that you've very purposely crafted to suit your own agenda.

Obviously the most important thing in football is to get results but a lot of the criticism of Rowett's style is that it doesn't have an entirely reliable or effective way of creating chances and scoring goals. It can work really well like tonight but we can look seriously lost at times.

Playing attractive football doesn't mean you won't win.

Playing compromised, ugly football doesn't mean you will win.

And vice versa.

What no one likes are extremists. There are managers that firmly believe in results based football like Pulis and Mick McCarthy, which leads to ugly percentage football and playing for 0-0's away from home. That's basically what QPR were tonight.

It can also lead to managers like Paulo DiCanio who used to play a 4-2-4 or even my beloved Steve McClaren who went all guns blazing  when we lost our DM's to injury instead of switching system and killing our season.

None of us (hopefully) want either of those styles but it's important to be balanced.

Ultimately, I've paid £300 quid to stare at a field every other week, so as much as I want us to win every game I wouldn't mind if something entertaining happened.

17 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

I'm not calling you stupid mate but that's a stupid poll that you've very purposely crafted to suit your own agenda.

Obviously the most important thing in football is to get results but a lot of the criticism of Rowett's style is that it doesn't have an entirely reliable or effective way of creating chances and scoring goals. It can work really well like tonight but we can look seriously lost at times.

Playing attractive football doesn't mean you won't win.

Playing compromised, ugly football doesn't mean you will win.

And vice versa.

What no one likes are extremists. There are managers that firmly believe in results based football like Pulis and Mick McCarthy, which leads to ugly percentage football and playing for 0-0's away from home. That's basically what QPR were tonight.

It can also lead to managers like Paulo DiCanio who used to play a 4-2-4 or even my beloved Steve McClaren who went all guns blazing  when we lost our DM's to injury instead of switching system and killing our season.

None of us (hopefully) want either of those styles but it's important to be balanced.

Ultimately, I've paid £300 quid to stare at a field every other week, so as much as I want us to win every game I wouldn't mind if something entertaining happened.

this is more of a reality check rather than just as much as a poll.For anybody who said they would prefer the team you support to play well yet lose rather than see theirr team win is living in a dream world.Even in the days of Cloughie we won our fair share of winning games we didnt deserve

1 minute ago, curtains said:

More than one bad game what about when we needed a draw at home to Reading to reach the playoffs and lost 3-0.  Another McClaren howler 

Yeah again what is your point? There were positives and negatives towards the style of play under McClaren, we could batter teams like Wolves, Fulham, Forest etc. but our gung-ho football cost us when we lost key men in defensive positions leading to the awful results at Millwall, Rotherham and Reading. And there are negatives and positives towards Rowett's football, it has got us fantastic wins away against teams like Norwich and Leeds where I think only Rowett's football could've got us those resilient results but it also costs us against energetic teams like Reading and Sheff Utd.

Both styles have there positives and negatives, but in full honesty I much preferred McClaren's highs then Rowetts. 

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Yeah again what is your point? There were positives and negatives towards the style of play under McClaren, we could batter teams like Wolves, Fulham, Forest etc. but our gung-ho football cost us when we lost key men in defensive positions leading to the awful results at Millwall, Rotherham and Reading. And there are negatives and positives towards Rowett's football, it has got us fantastic wins away against teams like Norwich and Leeds where I think only Rowett's football could've got us those resilient results but it also costs us against energetic teams like Reading and Sheff Utd.

Both styles have there positives and negatives, but in full honesty I much preferred McClaren's highs then Rowetts. 

McClaren fans read this no substance here 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/12/derby-county-steve-mcclaren-championship-part-company

Archived