Style v Substance

Results v Performance  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

I'm not sure it was quite why they all went. I think if he had it his way he'd have kept Ince. Christie simply just isn't good enough. Personally I think we've flogged them at the right time, I doubt they'll be worth anymore than what we got for them again. 

I think he made a smart move with the system we play.. it was either play Hughes, Bryson or Butterfield as part of a 3 or get your money's worth out of Vydra as number 10. Vydra in that role contributes to us more in terms of goals and assists. 

Do you mean while they were with us? Because Hughes definitely will if his current form continues.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another home game where our more cautious set-up has backfired. Don't think we had a shot on target all first half?

Tbis team seems completely unprepared for conceding an early goal. If we have to break down a team I really worry.

If we go a goal down, the 4-2-3-1 looks too defensive and Rowett doesn't seem to be able to change it. There's no alternate (right now) to Ledley, who contributes very little when we attack and against a back linesittinh deep Nugent's movement up top doesn't add much.

Bringing on Martin and a more attacking mind-set in the second half meant we created far more chances but it's still not enough. There's no movement or ball carrying ability in the DM's.

A positive of Rowett's appointment has been a change of mindset and the 'we're Derby, we should smash these' mindset but it's also worked to his detriment in situation like this.

As much as we want teams to attack us and let us hit them on the counter, we are still Derby. We're one of the biggest teams in the division and we're back to being promotion contenders, teams will often come for a draw. And they won't all be as poor as QPR. We need to be able to break them down and get out of the blocks quickly.

All that being said, I think we were extremely unlucky in the second half not to score. These games do happen but it's another reality check to those who think anyone unhappy with the home performances are out of order.

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Another home game where our more cautious set-up has backfired. Don't think we had a shot on target all first half?

Tbis team seems completely unprepared for conceding an early goal. If we have to break down a team I really worry.

If we go a goal down, the 4-2-3-1 looks too defensive and Rowett doesn't seem to be able to change it. There's no alternate (right now) to Ledley, who contributes very little when we attack and against a back linesittinh deep Nugent's movement up top doesn't add much.

Bringing on Martin and a more attacking mind-set in the second half meant we created far more chances but it's still not enough. There's no movement or ball carrying ability in the DM's.

A positive of Rowett's appointment has been a change of mindset and the 'we're Derby, we should smash these' mindset but it's also worked to his detriment in situation like this.

As much as we want teams to attack us and let us hit them on the counter, we are still Derby. We're one of the biggest teams in the division and we're back to being promotion contenders, teams will often come for a draw. And they won't all be as poor as QPR. We need to be able to break them down and get out of the blocks quickly.

All that being said, I think we were extremely unlucky in the second half not to score. These games do happen but it's another reality check to those who think anyone unhappy with the home performances are out of order.

If we consider that tonight Ipswich did to us, what we have been doing to others, then what is the tactic other teams have denied to break us down? They’ve had someone who runs with, or atleast holds on to, the ball. The answer possibly is Thorne, whos a real tempo setter with passing and movement, but surely we can’t keep expecting him to be the answer to everything?

Archived