Missing Person

robglosta

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was talking to a Ipswich season ticket holder who I work with about Lawrence yesterday....he said he was not pulling up any trees at Portman Road though you could see the potential up until the end of November.

But once he had his goal it transformed him and he went on a run of scoring and terrorising defences.He says what he is hearing from Derby fans is very similar to what Ipswich fans were saying but if you stick with him he will come good.

Not everybody comes into a new club and hits it off straight away I remember Derby fans in his first few months saying Chris Powell was the worst full back we ever had.

Give the boy time he nearly scored twice today and continues to make the runs just give him that time.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Widely reported as £5million actually, but don't let that get in the way of your dig.

My bad, I got it confused with the fee for Ince I think. 

Either way he's not been good enough for the money we paid. There's players in this league doing better for 1/10 of the fee. 

I feel for Tom Lawrence at the moment.  He is trying just a little bit too hard and it is affecting his game. I am sure he feels the weight of that transfer fee and his near misses are getting a little further away the longer he goes without a goal.

One thing that I think would help is if we had a bit more variety on set pieces so he wasn't responsible for every free kick, every corner. Less pressure on him that way.

Incidentally, Rowett said in his pre-match press conference that he has the highest number of key passes in the Championship this season so he must be doing something right.

49 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Was talking to a Ipswich season ticket holder who I work with about Lawrence yesterday....he said he was not pulling up any trees at Portman Road though you could see the potential up until the end of November.

But once he had his goal it transformed him and he went on a run of scoring and terrorising defences.He says what he is hearing from Derby fans is very similar to what Ipswich fans were saying but if you stick with him he will come good.

Not everybody comes into a new club and hits it off straight away I remember Derby fans in his first few months saying Chris Powell was the worst full back we ever had.

Give the boy time he nearly scored twice today and continues to make the runs just give him that time.

Indeed look at Vydra. He's not perfect but his performances have improved dramatically. 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Incidentally, Rowett said in his pre-match press conference that he has the highest number of key passes in the Championship this season so he must be doing something right.

He may have said that, but it isn't true. He doesn't even have the most key passes out of all the Welsh players in the Championship. Check for yourself. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/6848/Stages/15177/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2017-2018

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I feel for Tom Lawrence at the moment.  He is trying just a little bit too hard and it is affecting his game. I am sure he feels the weight of that transfer fee and his near misses are getting a little further away the longer he goes without a goal.

One thing that I think would help is if we had a bit more variety on set pieces so he wasn't responsible for every free kick, every corner. Less pressure on him that way.

According WhoScored, the following players have made more key passes than Tom Lawrence so far this season:

Luke Freeman, Jamie Paterson, Ollie Watkins, Stefan Johansen, Wes Hoolahan, Jame Maddison, Samuel Saiz, Romaine Sawyers, Gary Madine, John Fleck, Kieran Dowell, Joe Ralls, Kamil Grosicki, Adam Reach, Ben Osborn, Conor Hourihane, Pablo Hernandez, Adam Hammill, Barrie McKay, Bobby Reid, Junior Hoillett, Shaun Williams, Barry Douglas, Diogo Jota, Ivan Cavaleiro, Mark Duffy, Ross Wallace, Aiden McGeady, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Florian Jozefzoon, Gary Hooper, Jack Hunt, Jordan Hugill, Leo Bonatini, Conor Washington, Daniel Johnson, George Saville, Mario Vrancic, Josh Harrop, Steve Morison and Tom Barkhuizen.

Don't take Rowett's word as gospel. The above list rings far truer than what Rowett said. Another case Rowett's words not quite matching reality.

Just now, GadFly said:

He may have said that, but it isn't true. He doesn't even have the most key passes out of all the Welsh players in the Championship. Check for yourself. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/6848/Stages/15177/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2017-2018

Just beat me to it. All that time I took writing down their names gone to waste.

8 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

According WhoScored, the following players have made more key passes than Tom Lawrence so far this season:

Luke Freeman, Jamie Paterson, Ollie Watkins, Stefan Johansen, Wes Hoolahan, Jame Maddison, Samuel Saiz, Romaine Sawyers, Gary Madine, John Fleck, Kieran Dowell, Joe Ralls, Kamil Grosicki, Adam Reach, Ben Osborn, Conor Hourihane, Pablo Hernandez, Adam Hammill, Barrie McKay, Bobby Reid, Junior Hoillett, Shaun Williams, Barry Douglas, Diogo Jota, Ivan Cavaleiro, Mark Duffy, Ross Wallace, Aiden McGeady, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Florian Jozefzoon, Gary Hooper, Jack Hunt, Jordan Hugill, Leo Bonatini, Conor Washington, Daniel Johnson, George Saville, Mario Vrancic, Josh Harrop, Steve Morison and Tom Barkhuizen.

Don't take Rowett's word as gospel. The above list rings far truer than what Rowett said. Another case Rowett's words not quite matching reality.

Maybe Rowett meant he's DERBY's player with the most key passes? Clutching at straws, but it's all I've got to offer except the conclusion that Rowett is a bullsh*ter! 

20 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Maybe Rowett meant he's DERBY's player with the most key passes? Clutching at straws, but it's all I've got to offer except the conclusion that Rowett is a bullsh*ter! 

That would be factually correct, but I don't see how you can mix up talking about Derby and talking about the Championship, especially when you're a manager in that league.

10 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Wow! Thanks - I  do tend to believe Rowett is telling the truth. Maybe he meant most key passes of Welsh players named Tom Lawrence?  :lol:

I still think he will come good given time. Not sure he will get it from the majority of Derby fans given our track record.

Boo!

Archived