Derby County V Birmingham City

peachmyster

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Now i'm reasonably sober, here's my two cents. 

The quality of both of those two sides was totally abysmal. The amount of air kicks, mis-kicks, passes to no one, balls into touch was staggering. Both looked totally devoid of confidence in the first half. An embarrassment for Championship football at times.

We looked very disjointed as a team, with players seemingly playing a very much individual game - a beat your man, win your 50/50's type of play, which seems totally alien to me having not seen us under Pearson, Powell or Rowett over the last year or so.

The limitations of our midfield 2 were plainly obvious after about twenty minutes. Too slow to get up in support of the forwards and not intelligent enough in Johnson's case to not take up Vydra's space. Defensively their cover was lacking on a couple of occassions with Keogh being forced to come out of the back line to throw a block at the ball. Better teams will take advantage of this regularly.

As it was, we ended up looking very narrow in attack - Olsson looked off the pace and being an attacking full back is not Baird's game.

Nugent got fed absolutely sod all but ran around a lot and got out of position on a few occassions putting balls into the area for himself. 

Lawrence was involved a fair bit, but doesn't look to have the quality of Tom Ince. We've gone backwards in this regard. Did put in a good corner once though.

Weimann was rubbish. He has no discernable 'best position' or role. Other than being a bit faster than average I'm not sure what he does. Bennett looked better than I remember him being, but still missed a good 1 on 1 opportunity that he should have buried. Probably deserves a start.

Carson's kicking out was poor. I was also left wondering what happened to goalkeepers kicking the ball out of their hands. I can't remember the last time I saw an 80 yard punt that comes out of the sky with snow on it. I miss that.

Davies and Keogh looked alright, not the most potent attack to contend with and having not seen their goal again, surely shouldn't be losing their man like that in the box?

Atmosphere wasn't great from either side, heard one non-Youtube chant from us all day and that came from the Neptune bus at about 2:45. No passion in the stands and not much on display on the pitch either. My mate remarked on the sound of football now being a low-level gentle murmur.

Allowed myself to get ripped off for a £4 bottle of Carling at half time.

Reading that back it sounds a bit negative, it wasn't good, but I feel like we're better than that performance showed, just needs time to come together and a lot of players through the door both ways.

Spot on in each paragraph, but I doubt Rowett saw it any different. The player quality wasn't there - and that's upsetting. We just need 2-3 budding footballing stars in the midfield/attack. Vydra can be one but we desperately need better quality or what Rowett is calling 'composure' in his interviews. It's why he keeps pushing Bennett into the mix. And it's why Weimann and Russell frustrate. 

Albeit a defender, Wisdom needs back in too as alongside Vyds he was our best player until he missed the one game. 

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Imagine if we get nothing from Brentford and Cardiff, that Forest result will have Mel's trigger finger twitching if it doesn't go in our favour IMO. Hopefully we can pick some points up and it doesn't get to that but we've seen a few managers sacked for much less in recent times. 

what was that quote stat last year about the rarity for managers of both sides to have more than 1 crack at the BC trophy

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I think people have very short memories when it comes to Clement.

He didn't play fluid, attacking football but at least there was a plan and a shape to things. We were absolutely rock solid for the most part, especially before the last few weeks of his reign. Nobody was bored stiff when we were top on Christmas day. It wasn't quite Mac 1 football but it was better than anything we've seen so far this season. 

Rowett will hopefully get time to turn things around but I do think if he had anything about him we wouldn't be going even further backwards than we currently are. Some of the summer signings aren't helping him out either, they're not top players but they're better than they are currently playing. Spending 4.5 million on a right back no better than 35 year old Chris Baird is starting to irk me when that money could have been spent elsewhere though I have to say. 

Imagine if we get nothing from Brentford and Cardiff, that Forest result will have Mel's trigger finger twitching if it doesn't go in our favour IMO. Hopefully we can pick some points up and it doesn't get to that but we've seen a few managers sacked for much less in recent times. 

I'm a big Baird fan. I think he's an excellent pro and has good defensive instincts.

However, I would like to see Wisdom force his way back into the team. By that I mean put in an imposing performance where from the start he owns that right touchline. Like many others in the club, he starts the game like he's been pushed up from the academy. I want my players to have a f**k you, this is my pitch attitude. We're still way too nervy. 

The fans can help by not groaning when an ambitious pass or trick doesn't come off.

27 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Agree with labour but No no no. Yesterday wasn't boring, rather it was frustrating. There's a difference. We tried to go forward and there were some nice interchanges but we lacked quality with a team that set up well. Even Masons chance - lovely work and pass to him but does an Aguero miss that? Would Ince even? The lack of quality and guile was immensely frustrating. But nothing compares to the utter boredom of Clement football who never even seemed to encourage attacking at all. It was the utter boredom that had us wanting his head. This is an entertainment business. Rowett is trying you must see that. His problem is mainly that from the front players so far Vydra has been the only truly effective one. 

Why do you keep referring to Clement? He was sacked about four managers ago. Whilst in 5th. I do not recall 'us' wanting his head either. You might have done, but you speak only for yourself thankfully. Personally I was shocked when he was sacked. 

Rowett will see us to mid table. If he's given time. MM's record suggests he won't get that and then we start again. 

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm a big Baird fan. I think he's an excellent pro and has good defensive instincts.

However, I would like to see Wisdom force his way back into the team. By that I mean put in an imposing performance where from the start he owns that right touchline. Like many others in the club, he starts the game like he's been pushed up from the academy. I want my players to have a f**k you, this is my pitch attitude. We're still way too nervy. 

The fans can help by not groaning when an ambitious pass or trick doesn't come off.

Yeah spot on.

I was hoping this permanent move would give him a new lease of life but he's not hit the ground running. Even more annoying when you see what a change of scenery is doing for Christie! 

But yeah, I'd put him back in purely to try and get him some form. Baird has done nothing to be dropped and has played just as well as Wisdom has so far but we need something different. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I was hoping this permanent move would give him a new lease of life but he's not hit the ground running. Even more annoying when you see what a change of scenery is doing for Christie! 

Christie who let Sessignon put the cross over for Fulham's goal?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wonder how come GR didn't play Fozzie in the u23s on Friday?

I assumed because there was a chance that he would be involved yesterday. In the end he wasn't but he played full 90 for the Under 23s on Monday and looked ok than. Maybe he had a bit of a knock in that game?

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I assumed because there was a chance that he would be involved yesterday. In the end he wasn't but he played full 90 for the Under 23s on Monday and looked ok than. Maybe he had a bit of a knock in that game?

Thought he looked fitter in the Monday game too. Can't understand continuing to play Olsson, the defensive equivalent of Weimann!

48 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Why do you keep referring to Clement? He was sacked about four managers ago. Whilst in 5th. I do not recall 'us' wanting his head either. You might have done, but you speak only for yourself thankfully. Personally I was shocked when he was sacked. 

Rowett will see us to mid table. If he's given time. MM's record suggests he won't get that and then we start again. 

Because the previous poster had big upped Clement after saying Rowett is dull but failed to mention how utterly bored we'd all got back then and how negative a manager he was and still is. We'd also spiralled down and were getting worse. Short memories.

And I was responding to that.

Your last paragraph is negative drivel and an unnecessary slight on the owner because Mel has said Rowett will get time and he's started decently enough given all the player changes.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Only in relation to being talked up by ninos. Christie's alright, but not as a fullback!

To be fair he's had a good start. 3 man of the matches and in his last two games a goal and assist. I wasn't his biggest fan but in relation to Wisdom who cost much more he's started the season better, that's the observation I was making. 

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

To be fair he's had a good start. 3 man of the matches and in his last two games a goal and assist. I wasn't his biggest fan but in relation to Wisdom who cost much more he's started the season better, that's the observation I was making. 

Fair enough. Perhaps Boro are expecting a different style of play from him.

Having been at both matches, yesterday was definitely an improvement on the previous Saturday! At Bristol it was embarrassing, whereas yesterday was mainly just boring. We didn't lose and there were several occasions when our players actually passed to each other.

Following Derby for well over 60 years there aren't many scenarios we haven't seen come and go - and those of you with 60 years ahead of you will no doubt see it all again! I think I've just got a bit (not much) more pragmatic with age.

i always enjoy home games as at least I get a good laugh with the people who sit near to me. I'm usually on my own and away matches I always seem to sit next to someone who barely manages to say hello, let alone have a conversation. Perhaps there mothers told them not to speak to strange women!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fair enough. Perhaps Boro are expecting a different style of play from him.

Backing down now are you?

Just admit you're wrong and move on. Christies a very good player based on what anyone with a bit of a brain thinks - Wisdom may be even a bit better but I rate both highly. Wisdom is the complete package especially after watching his recent occasional bursts down the field adding some bellerin to his defensive prowess. Rowett wanted more bite with Wisdom and he's got it.

Christie is a confidence player though as are many skill players. 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I don't mind an ambitious pass or trick not coming off , its good to try , what annoys me when a simple pass goes astray or an unnecessary risky flick when just holding the ball would bring others into the game

Archived