Martin/Winnall

Thameram

10 hours ago, Ninos said:

Exactly. Basically Winnall won difficult balls and consistently fed martin who received the balls and failed to execute. So it was a brief one sided "relationship." Winnall made a case for being first off the bench or perhaps taking Nugents spot at a push. This isn't tag team wrestling where we train Winnall and Martin together to replace the starting two, in the hopes of salvaging Martin's value.

Martin did okay yesterday but he offered pretty much nothing that Nugent didn't. The dainty nuge tap back to Vydra for his second was Martinesque was it not. 

Sorry but you can't expect to be taken seriously on this subject   ........like  Herod commenting on babycare.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, RamNut said:

I thought martin should have scored one if not two but was too polite and tried to pass.

he needs to be more selfish 

he looked a threat.

I agree. Winnall knocked down to Martin on the edge of the box and it was crying out for a first time strike. Martin hesitated and by the time he had looked to make a pass he lost it. He needs to remember why he's in the side. He delivers some good assists but needs to shoot, too.

I don't have a huge problem with Martin being a squad option but to try and theorise on here that because Winnall kept winning the ball for him in a short cameo that he can sandbag playing time by being Winnalls partner is just ridiculous. Winnall will challenge for a spot in his own right.

If Martin plays he needs to expand his game and merit a spot by fitting in, do something new, and score goals. Now 11 consecutive games for us he's done diddly. No goals. Keep giving him chances when games are won im fine with. But this is Rowett 2017, not Mcclaren 2013.

I noticed the same, nice cameo from Winnall and Martin, the latter particularly. I think Martin could be effective as a 10.

Good options and good competition for places. Nugent/Winnall for No9, Vydra/Martin for No10.

Nugent and Vydra keep the shirts no question at the moment. Behind Bradley (can't believe I'm saying that!) they were our best players on Friday night.

9 hours ago, lioncoeur said:

6006incij2082829.jpg

He did have a shot yesterday, but he was kind of selfish, instead of passing it to Winnall in the center of the box, he decided to shoot himself. And a chance has gone for good.

From your still it is easy to see that the pass is not on. Winnall had a far easier chance to pass to Martin but chose to shoot when someone was stood right in from of him. Why not highlight that moment?

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

From your still it is easy to see that the pass is not on. Winnall had a far easier chance to pass to Martin but chose to shoot when someone was stood right in from of him. Why not highlight that moment?

I think if you watch it in real time the shot is the best option. Winnall is ready to pounce if the goalie doesn't keep hold of it.

This thread was created to try and argue Martin to fit back in the side. People need to realise he is currently bottom of the pecking order. 

vydra and nugent is working very well right now so I don't seem the need to start thinking about having a different strike force.

can we not just hope these other two strikers can come on and make a difference when needed or do we need Martin playing for fans to be happy?

5 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think if you watch it in real time the shot is the best option. Winnall is ready to pounce if the goalie doesn't keep hold of it.

Absolutely, he didn't have any other option.

@Ninos not sure what the laughing reaction is about, what part do you disagree with?

21 minutes ago, rynny said:

From your still it is easy to see that the pass is not on. 

From my screenshot, you can see clearly he's already almost in a dead angle towards goal and the chances for his shot to be successful were minimal.

The same thing happened earlier when Tom Lawrence in his solo action came from the right side cutting inside and has unreasonably shooted on goal.

It's just my opinion, whether other people like it or disagree with it, we'll see come January, who'll be heading towards the exit doors of the club; and who is more blinkered and who is more deluded about his football knowledge and the footballers.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

This thread was created to try and argue Martin to fit back in the side. People need to realise he is currently bottom of the pecking order. 

vydra and nugent is working very well right now so I don't seem the need to start thinking about having a different strike force.

can we not just hope these other two strikers can come on and make a difference when needed or do we need Martin playing for fans to be happy?

Slimsy  exactly let's just enjoy having options we are lucky At the moment Martin has had his chance he will have to wait for his next and try and make a better job of it  That's how football works 

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

As long as we keep winning I am not bothered who starts. I am one of Martin's biggest fans but he has to earn his place in the team. I have always said I would rather have him sat on our bench than in someone else's team, however we were crying out for him last season under Mac, but now we have a system that doesn't rely on Martin and he needs to give Rowett a reason to pick him and not leave him out, which it sounds like he is trying to do off the pitch, with coming back early from international duty. 

I don't think this thread was started as an advocate to start SW and CM, just to say that they looked to form an understanding and would be a good option for when the DN/MV partnership isn't producing. I didn't see it myself, looked more like 2 strikers trying to prove that they should be in the starting 11 more than the other. In 1 way is a good thing as they are going to push DN and MV for their starting spots.

3 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Slimsy  exactly let's just enjoy having options we are lucky At the moment Martin has had his chance he will have to wait for his next and try and make a better job of it  That's how football works 

What to join those other crap prospects Hughes and ince?

I suspect a selection group on here won't be happy until we are playing a Sunday league side,just as long as they run about a lot....

7 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

From my screenshot, you can see clearly he's already almost in a dead angle towards goal and the chances for his shot to be successful were minimal.

The same thing happened earlier when Tom Lawrence in his solo action came from the right side cutting inside and has unreasonably shooted on goal.

It's just my opinion, whether other people like it or disagree with it, we'll see come January, who'll be heading towards the exit doors of the club; and who is more blinkered and who is more deluded about his football knowledge and the footballers.

I don't think any of them will be leaving come Jan. I'm not deluded or blinkered. I see us having 4 very good options for the 2 starting positions. Why does 1 of them have to leave?

Again why only highlight Martin's "poor" decision making by shooting? Why not Winnall's or Nugent's?

What else is he supposed to do there? Take a shot hope it is on target, maybe a chance of a goal or a corner maybe the keeper could parry it into Winnall's path? Or make a pass that isn't on, try and pass it through the player and probably end up losing it.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

I don't think any of them will be leaving come Jan. I'm not deluded or blinkered. I see us having 4 very good options for the 2 starting positions. Why does 1 of them have to leave?

Again why only highlight Martin's "poor" decision making by shooting? Why not Winnall's or Nugent's?

What else is he supposed to do there? Take a shot hope it is on target, maybe a chance of a goal or a corner maybe the keeper could parry it into Winnall's path? Or make a pass that isn't on, try and pass it through the player and probably end up losing it.

Pretty sharp effort with his weaker foot, too. 

4 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

For the money he's paid, I myself would have come directly from Belgium by foot to the training ground.

See it is b******* replies like this that just makes any of your arguments redundant. It is a clear hatred for a player that plays for our team, that wants to do well. Everything he does has a negative reaction.

11 hours ago, lioncoeur said:

6006incij2082829.jpg

He did have a shot yesterday, but he was kind of selfish, instead of passing it to Winnall in the center of the box, he decided to shoot himself. And a chance has gone for good.

God forbid a striker tries to get himself up and running for the season when we're already 5-0 up with ten minutes to go.

Take a look at yourself.

Archived