Martin/Winnall

Thameram

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Thameram said:

I thought they looked quite bright and struck up a bit of a partnership in the 10 mins they were together winnall looks like he has a bit of nasty in him as well,will be useful in away games

Yep I agree

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

They did, and as I have stated many times that we have four very good forwards who can all play well together!

Agree with this post, all teams who get out of the championship need 4 quality forwards, as over a course of a season, players will pick up injures, lose form and tactics for certain games decide which pairing to play, for me we have one of the strongest forward lines to choose from at this level.

Giving Martin a striker partner will get him back to his best. He's one of the most intelligent players we have and he thrives when he has someone close to him.

Happy to role with Vydra and Nuge right now but I expect Martin will play a big part this season.

Winnall looks like a younger version of Nuge, which is exactly what we needed. Can't rely on a striker in their 30's all season.

Outside of the obvious misfire and providing we can solve our lack of midfield, I think it's been a fairly successful window. Might not see the real benefits of it until next summer when the squads been cut down and we can bring players in much easier.

I thought what was interesting is we setup with Martin as the definite #10 with Winnall to go run the channells as a #9. Will be interesting to see how we develop as an attacking force. We look we have 4 good forwards at our disposal and they all bring a little bit different to each other.

2 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Giving Martin a striker partner will get him back to his best. He's one of the most intelligent players we have and he thrives when he has someone close to him.

Happy to role with Vydra and Nuge right now but I expect Martin will play a big part this season.

Winnall looks like a younger version of Nuge, which is exactly what we needed. Can't rely on a striker in their 30's all season.

Outside of the obvious misfire and providing we can solve our lack of midfield, I think it's been a fairly successful window. Might not see the real benefits of it until next summer when the squads been cut down and we can bring players in much easier.

As much as I think Martin is the best striker we have at our disposal, I think going with Nugent and vydra makes complete sense right now given our midfield is a quite static we perhaps need more energy in them forward positions to chase and harass.

Will certainly be interesting to see how it develops and I expect all four will get plenty of game time as the season goes on. It's certainly an enviable strike force.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

I thought what was interesting is we setup with Martin as the definite #10 with Winnall to go run the channells as a #9. Will be interesting to see how we develop as an attacking force. We look we have 4 good forwards at our disposal and they all bring a little bit different to each other.

For me it would have to be the other way round

martin - in the box using his strength

winnall - more mobile in the deeper role

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Are you guys crackers? They have barely played ten mins together and we are praising the partnership. :huh:

I think people are just saying that in the 10 mins they were on they linked up well and it appears a partnership that might be worth exploring.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

For me it would have to be the other way round

martin - in the box using his strength

winnall - more mobile in the deeper role

I disagree, Martin operates at his best when he can drop into pockets of space and pick a pass whereas by all accounts Winnall appears to want run in behind and get himself into the box.

11 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Are you guys crackers? They have barely played ten mins together and we are praising the partnership. :huh:

I think it's more a case of praising the potential of it. To say they hadn't played a competitive game together before then there was glimpses of an understanding between them. Good to have different options don't you think?

21 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Exactly. Basically Winnall won difficult balls and consistently fed martin who received the balls and failed to execute. So it was a brief one sided "relationship." Winnall made a case for being first off the bench or perhaps taking Nugents spot at a push. This isn't tag team wrestling where we train Winnall and Martin together to replace the starting two, in the hopes of salvaging Martin's value.

Martin did okay yesterday but he offered pretty much nothing that Nugent didn't. The dainty nuge tap back to Vydra for his second was Martinesque was it not. 

Archived