Martin/Winnall

Thameram

23 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Exactly. Basically Winnall won difficult balls and consistently fed martin who received the balls and failed to execute. So it was a brief one sided "relationship." Winnall made a case for being first off the bench or perhaps taking Nugents spot at a push. This isn't tag team wrestling where we train Winnall and Martin together to replace the starting two, in the hopes of salvaging Martin's value.

Martin did okay yesterday but he offered pretty much nothing that Nugent didn't. The dainty nuge tap back to Vydra for his second was Martinesque was it not. 

Can't help yourself eh ninos...

But yes,martinesque but not Martin...who actually had a shot on target,on goal,yesterday in the brief time he was on..unlike Nugent (who I actually like a lot and don't feel the need to slag off to suit an personal agenda)

Have a look at humility in the dictionary mate,you are winning at the moment but showing zero class with posts like this,I expected a little more....

No,actually,I didnt

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin is a decent striker but I'm afraid he will really have to work on adding higher energy pressing and closing down defenders to his armoury if he is not going to be a bench striker coming on when the hard work has been done and games won already , it's what rowett wants from his strikers and we saw what results that kind of energy ,attitude and work rate can give to the team ,, Rowett may turn out to be good for martin if he can get him really up for that side of the game 

1 minute ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Nugent and Vydra start and win the game and a Martin/Winnall thread is created, bonkers.

Both Vydra and Nugent have had 'recent' injuries, what you gonna do if either or both get injured again? Just trust to luck!

19 minutes ago, archied said:

Martin is a decent striker but I'm afraid he will really have to work on adding higher energy pressing and closing down defenders to his armoury if he is not going to be a bench striker coming on when the hard work has been done and games won already , it's what rowett wants from his strikers and we saw what results that kind of energy ,attitude and work rate can give to the team ,, Rowett may turn out to be good for martin if he can get him really up for that side of the game 

True but when have you ever seen Martin press or track back to keep defensive shape? You really think its in his repertoire? From what I have seen if your team has Martin you play one way ... get the ball to Martin to hold up and give passes to players running through.  If he can add some pace, or alternate a press and keeping defensive shape, that is to adapt to the system Rowett has going, all very well and fine. 

28 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Martin...who actually had a shot on target,on goal,yesterday

6006incij2082829.jpg

He did have a shot yesterday, but he was kind of selfish, instead of passing it to Winnall in the center of the box, he decided to shoot himself. And a chance has gone for good.

1 minute ago, lioncoeur said:

6006incij2082829.jpg

He did have a shot yesterday, but he was kind of selfish, instead of passing it to Winnall in the center of the box, he decided to shoot himself. And a chance has gone for good.

Totally disagree. There were two occasions before this where he tried to play other players through when he could and perhaps should have got a shot off. 

He needs to shoot more. And on this occasion he produced a good effort.

2 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

Yesterday he passed the ball backwards to Davies and he didn't bother to come back.

3370incir4952217.jpg

1085incib588346.jpg

This was one of the two earlier moves that broke down because he passed. He had ALREADY chased back to the hlfway line to try to retain possession.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Totally disagree. There were two occasions before this where he tried to play other players through when he could and perhaps should have got a shot off. 

He needs to shoot more. And on this occasion he produced a good effort.

That's exactly why David Nugent is playing and Chris Martin is not playing at the moment. David Nugent is always playing in the function of the team.

Just now, lioncoeur said:

He didn't chase back as he stood still in the middle, moving with his arms and showing some sort of hand signs.

Lol

he was telling Davies to push up.

davies was way too deep from memory 

2 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

He is lazy bagger, that's how I am seeing him.

:lol: he 's a decent player, and a 100% Ram.

if anything he can be too much of a team player. I think rowetts criticism that we were trying to score the perfect goal was a reference to the occasional overpassing.

SSSHHHOOOT!

21 minutes ago, lioncoeur said:

That's exactly why David Nugent is playing and Chris Martin is not playing at the moment. David Nugent is always playing in the function of the team.

Nugent is playing because he's in form at the moment. 

9 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Giving Martin a striker partner will get him back to his best. He's one of the most intelligent players we have and he thrives when he has someone close to him.

Happy to role with Vydra and Nuge right now but I expect Martin will play a big part this season.

Winnall looks like a younger version of Nuge, which is exactly what we needed. Can't rely on a striker in their 30's all season.

Outside of the obvious misfire and providing we can solve our lack of midfield, I think it's been a fairly successful window. Might not see the real benefits of it until next summer when the squads been cut down and we can bring players in much easier.

I think the key to this is having a second striker willing enough to go hunting deeper if the ball doesn't come. Vydra dropped deep a fair bit the other day and it worked. I see no reason why this can't happen in any permutation of the 4 dangerous men we have up front now. .. It's so much more flexible and resilient than just relying on the old 433 when if one cog was missing or the opponents had a game plan we looked bereft of ideas and the wheels came off 

Archived