January 2018 Transfer Suggestions Thread

RamsPolls

40 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

all the names on the list apart from Ledley don' excite me anyway really hope we are not just linked with the same names again last transfer window was so boring this one has to have somebody to excite us 

To me the underlying weakness in the current squad is the complete lack of mobility in midfield - glaringly obvious in last Saturdays' performance against Reading.

The only one of those mentioned in the DET who would go some way to addressing the issue is Kieftenbeld. Ledley has done well since coming in but when paired with Huddlestone, we don't have the movement around the pitch that we need - the Birmingham guy would give us that. There's no doubting Huddlestones' passing quality but in this division I'm not convinced we have the players who can take advantage of his vision and take that away and we leave ourselves looking very ponderous at times. I would go with Kieftenbeld and a fully-fit George Thorne, leaving only one additional midfield link player to sign. If he was available I would go for Ben Osborn - failing that a player similar to Bannan, though not necessarily him.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

To me the underlying weakness in the current squad is the complete lack of mobility in midfield - glaringly obvious in last Saturdays' performance against Reading.

The only one of those mentioned in the DET who would go some way to addressing the issue is Kieftenbeld. Ledley has done well since coming in but when paired with Huddlestone, we don't have the movement around the pitch that we need - the Birmingham guy would give us that. There's no doubting Huddlestones' passing quality but in this division I'm not convinced we have the players who can take advantage of his vision and take that away and we leave ourselves looking very ponderous at times. I would go with Kieftenbeld and a fully-fit George Thorne, leaving only one additional midfield link player to sign. If he was available I would go for Ben Osborn - failing that a player similar to Bannan, though not necessarily him.

Genuine question, why are you fine with dropping our best midfielder so far this season? Furthermore why are you fine with him being replaced with someone who has only recently been brought back into the side of a club struggling to stay in the division? Kieftenbeld's reintroduction still hasn't stopped the rot at Brum.

Ledley has proven to us that you don't need mobility as much as know-how. We were warned that his lack of pace was an issue when we signed him yet how often can you say we've had runners breaking through with him in the side? The only times I can think of it happening is when Huddlestone gets caught in possession, but fingers crossed Thorne will be stepping in on that side soon. 

Unless you're proposing Kieftenbeld as back-up, which I can't really argue with. As a starter? No thanks.

1 hour ago, lrm14 said:

Genuine question, why are you fine with dropping our best midfielder so far this season? Furthermore why are you fine with him being replaced with someone who has only recently been brought back into the side of a club struggling to stay in the division? Kieftenbeld's reintroduction still hasn't stopped the rot at Brum.

Ledley has proven to us that you don't need mobility as much as know-how. We were warned that his lack of pace was an issue when we signed him yet how often can you say we've had runners breaking through with him in the side? The only times I can think of it happening is when Huddlestone gets caught in possession, but fingers crossed Thorne will be stepping in on that side soon. 

Unless you're proposing Kieftenbeld as back-up, which I can't really argue with. As a starter? No thanks.

Your opinion, not mine. One player can't halt a slide - did you rate Jermain Defoe last season - couldn't stop Sunderland dropping like a stone?

Did you read my post fully? I said a fully-fit Thorne - proving he's got over his injuries, got some decent game time under his belt and reproduces something close to his best form.

Why do some posters have to twist what some others say? Ledley's a good player and if Thorne doesn't make the progress the vast majority of Rams fans hope for then I would be FINE with signing Lesley on a permanent basis but he needs someone more mobile alongside him. An individual player can make up for mobility with know-how but to function properly we need to be much more fluid in midfield than we have been.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Your opinion, not mine. One player can't halt a slide - did you rate Jermain Defoe last season - couldn't stop Sunderland dropping like a stone?

Did you read my post fully? I said a fully-fit Thorne - proving he's got over his injuries, got some decent game time under his belt and reproduces something close to his best form.

Why do some posters have to twist what some others say? Ledley's a good player and if Thorne doesn't make the progress the vast majority of Rams fans hope for then I would be FINE with signing Lesley on a permanent basis but he needs someone more mobile alongside him. An individual player can make up for mobility with know-how but to function properly we need to be much more fluid in midfield than we have been.

Spot on anyone who can't see must be blind probably blinded by wins we didn't deserve 

On 11/8/2017 at 18:51, Wolfie20 said:

Ironically you've moaned that I've twisted what you said, while twisting everything I've said.

Personally, I don't want Kieftenbeld at all. He's a mobile destroyer, which is fine but he doesn't solve two issues this squad has. Firstly he's not the most creative player, which is what the side is desperately lacking in the final third. Secondly he's 27. Almost all of our signings so far have drastically increased the age at the club. We addressed the lack of experience the squad had in the last transfer window to great effect, now I think is the time to see if any of the youngsters we currently have could make it, if not bring in some more youth.

I'd argue the reason it appears we need so much more mobility in midfield is because we have a huge gap between our front line and our midfielders. Having Thorne/Ledley/Huddlestone as a combo in the center of the park is fine if you have someone slightly ahead of them to link up play. Bryson would have been perfect for this and I think this is where he's played for Cardiff this season when he's come on but sadly he's not here. You're right we do need more mobility for a full on 4-4-2 like we played against Reading, but I'd prefer it if instead of signing a very average 27 year old we either added another man to the midfield or went for someone younger for the future.

6 hours ago, lrm14 said:

Ironically you've moaned that I've twisted what you said, while twisting everything I've said.

Personally, I don't want Kieftenbeld at all. He's a mobile destroyer, which is fine but he doesn't solve two issues this squad has. Firstly he's not the most creative player, which is what the side is desperately lacking in the final third. Secondly he's 27. Almost all of our signings so far have drastically increased the age at the club. We addressed the lack of experience the squad had in the last transfer window to great effect, now I think is the time to see if any of the youngsters we currently have could make it, if not bring in some more youth.

I'd argue the reason it appears we need so much more mobility in midfield is because we have a huge gap between our front line and our midfielders. Having Thorne/Ledley/Huddlestone as a combo in the center of the park is fine if you have someone slightly ahead of them to link up play. Bryson would have been perfect for this and I think this is where he's played for Cardiff this season when he's come on but sadly he's not here. You're right we do need more mobility for a full on 4-4-2 like we played against Reading, but I'd prefer it if instead of signing a very average 27 year old we either added another man to the midfield or went for someone younger for the future.

You are right desperately need younger legs in midfield  I see WBA have made Sam Field available for loan to a Championship club he's 19 and I saw him for England U20s very skillful and mobile but not sure Rowett likes youth 

8 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

I see that everyone keeps saying that we need a "younger Bryson" and keep mentioning we need somne energy in the midfield, but who really fits that description, not seen too many names mentioned?

Ryan Woods, Brentford

Liam Bridcutt, Forest

David Davis, Birmingham

Maikel Kieftenbeld, Birmingham

Ben Pearson, Preston

Massimo Luongo, QPR

And that's just off the top of my head in the championship.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Woods is the one most noticeable to me but he is no goal scoring midfielder 

Doesn't need to be in a 4-2-3-1, that's why we have Vydra there, an out and out goalscorer.

It's not the 4-3-3 where you needed an energetic attacking mid to chip in with goals like Bryson, you need an energetic defensive mid like Luongo or Woods to do the dirty work for Huddlestone/Thorne. Crucially most of those players listed are tidier on the ball than Johnson or Ledley too, which helps relieve the playmaking pressure that Huddlestone has.

If you bring them in, you suddenly can have a team full of players comfortable with the ball at their feet and can play a more attacking brand of football while not losing much if any defensive solidity.

Would still leave us with the option of the Vydra/Nuge style too.

51 minutes ago, rynny said:

Seriously? :blink:

The 28 year old defensive midfielder, that can't pass and has scored a grand total career goals of 3, the last of those April 2011?

See above, don't think goals are important for that DM role.

Bridcutt was more of a suggestion of the 'type' I think we should be looking at. I'd obviously want someone younger, I haven't shut up about bringing in younger midfielders but I think he's a decent enough example. Also, he can bloody pass, he split us open for Forest's best chance of the game just this season.

32 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Also, he can bloody pass, he split us open for Forest's best chance of the game just this season.

And he also put the ball out of play with a simple 5 yard pass, the ball ended further away from his intended target than what he was standing from them.

6 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Ryan Woods, Brentford

Liam Bridcutt, Forest

David Davis, Birmingham

Maikel Kieftenbeld, Birmingham

Ben Pearson, Preston

Massimo Luongo, QPR

And that's just off the top of my head in the championship.

They are more DCM though one of those with energy isn't a disaster. Now we look to be keeping Ledley we won't sign another DCM

Archived