Derby County v Hull City

Leicester Ram

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I was replying to your top two performance quote, I thought you were alluding that it was.

All ifs and buts. But... Vydra and Johnson's goals go flying over the bar, and Hull routinely clear the two corners we scored from.

We win 1-0. Do people still say it was an excellent performance, one of the best since the Brighton playoff game?

In my opinion it wasn't anywhere near a perfect performance. I think judgement and opinion is heavily swayed by the scoreline, rather than the actual performance.

I thought it was a solid battling performance where we ultimately got the rub of the green.

On reflection, on another day we could have lost that game. We weren't exactly dominant and superior. Likewise, on another day Sheff Utd don't get the rub of the green via own goals and GK gaffs and we come away with something from Bramall Lane.

Under Rowett I see it as fine margins. Under Mac 1 I was confident that in most games we would have greater control and create more chances on average than the opposition.

I certainly don't envisage us doing that nowadays, but with the right commitment and ultimately a bit of luck like tonight we may not need to really control games to get out of this league.

What's the point of talking about ifs and buts? If every shot we had didn't go in and every shot they had did go in, they'd win about 13-0. However that point means absolutely nothing.

If we had absolutely played them off the park but squandered chance after chance and won 1-0, people would be saying we need to be more clinical or we will get caught out. It can't be a "top two performance" if you can't put away chances. But when we score goals, you want to start talking about what if they didn't go in? It's a moot point.

I'm sorry, I just find it incredibly confusing how there seems to be digs taken at any slightest opportunity. I understand you base your posts on your analysis of games, but sometimes analysis just goes way too far. We won 5-0. That's the fact. We're not going to be able to play like Barcelona. We're a Championship team and that means we're going to be limited in many, many ways. However to try and bring down a performance based on what would've happened if shots we had didn't go in is a very ridiculous thing to try and base an argument upon.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic performance by the lads tonight! Power, pace, energy, a lovely balance to the team. We have quality players who will cause teams problems. Vydra, Nuge, Lawrence (who looks the real deal), thought Martin and Winnall did well when they came on and Huddlestone was quietly excellent. Can't fault anyone tonight. It's 1 game but some really positive signs against a good footballing side though lacking in the heart department! 

Big shout out to Bradley Johnson tonight. I've slated him in the past and particularly this week in the run up to the game. He thoroughly deserved MOM tonight, thought he set the tone from the first minute. One of his best performances in a Rams shirt (he likes playing Hull!). However, it's not the first time he's played well, often followed up with shocking performances. Needs to do it consistently, but if he plays like that (or close to that) from now to the end of the season then he'll get POTY and I'll be a happy man.

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Fantastic performance by the lads tonight! Power, pace, energy, a lovely balance to the team. We have quality players who will cause teams problems. Vydra, Nuge, Lawrence (who looks the real deal), thought Martin and Winnall did well when they came on and Huddlestone was quietly excellent. Can't fault anyone tonight. It's 1 game but some really positive signs against a good footballing side though lacking in the heart department! 

Big shout out to Bradley Johnson tonight. I've slated him in the past and particularly this week in the run up to the game. He thoroughly deserved MOM tonight, thought he set the tone from the first minute. One of his best performances in a Rams shirt (he likes playing Hull!). However, it's not the first time he's played well, often followed up with shocking performances. Needs to do it consistently, but if he plays like that (or close to that) from now to the end of the season then he'll get POTY and I'll be a happy man.

Why did you slate him this week, in the run up to the game?

Was his performance in training not upto the required standard?

Alpha, Steve McClaren, Tom Ince, Darren Bent tell us what you think of these statistics and tell us what you think these statistics are supposed to tell us and then tell us what the score was, what the score is, and what you think the score should have been?

Keep on pressing, keep on working, keep on moving, keep on pushing, stay with your man, pass your man over, work together as a team, put pressure on the ball, read where you think the ball is going, the man is going, be in control, be relaxed, enjoy Tom Huddlestone's influence on the team, make it count, when it matters, control the game, control the result and stick all the statistics in the bin as they don't win you games, a good team playing for each other does.

Well done Gary Rowett. Keep The Faith. Love Lasts Forever. Up The Rams.

jipans.png

Nice to be back (I take a break from here during international breaks) with a win.

Very entertaining game.

The fans moaning and groaning at the start of the second half stood out to me though, did they not realise it was 4-0?

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I didn't think we were great tonight but we punished Hull. Hull were absolutely hopeless. I would have liked to see us control the game a bit more but still a impressive scoreline

Pretty much agree with that. However I think we better get used to these types of performances and the fact that we won't control games like we used to.

It reminded me of a Leicester performance when they went up. They wernt free flowing and attractive to watch, but they were direct, pacey and made the most of set plays. 

Hopefully we follow suit. 

Main thing for me was the positivity of the players today. The look on Nugent's face after he set Vydra up says it all. 

I'm a big believer in team spirit over footballing ability, if the dressing room can be as confident and happy as it was in the play off season I think we have a chance of having a real go of it 

24 minutes ago, Kernow said:

What's the point of talking about ifs and buts? If every shot we had didn't go in and every shot they had did go in, they'd win about 13-0. However that point means absolutely nothing.

If we had absolutely played them off the park but squandered chance after chance and won 1-0, people would be saying we need to be more clinical or we will get caught out. It can't be a "top two performance" if you can't put away chances. But when we score goals, you want to start talking about what if they didn't go in? It's a moot point.

I'm sorry, I just find it incredibly confusing how there seems to be digs taken at any slightest opportunity. I understand you base your posts on your analysis of games, but sometimes analysis just goes way too far. We won 5-0. That's the fact. We're not going to be able to play like Barcelona. We're a Championship team and that means we're going to be limited in many, many ways. However to try and bring down a performance based on what would've happened if shots we had didn't go in is a very ridiculous thing to try and base an argument upon.

OK, all I'm saying is I'm not going to be one of those people who says 'But Hull' the next time we lose a game.

There will be plenty citing this now as the benchmark. 

There are no digs. I'm just not getting carried away or making out it was an amazing performance.

I've seen us play better than that and lose.

24 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If Gary was called Pep though...:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

OK, all I'm saying is I'm not going to be one of those people who says 'But Hull' the next time we lose a game.

There will be plenty citing this now as the benchmark. 

There are no digs. I'm just not getting carried away or making out it was an amazing performance.

I've seen us play better than that and lose.

Those people would be the extreme cases though. If we played like we did tonight in every single game, we'd be promoted. But it's another hypothetical situation, it's not going to happen. The point is we've just shown what we can do to teams when we're on form, the key now is to try and get a little more consistency. That doesn't mean win 5-0 more often, it means try and make these sort of comfortable, clinical performances more frequent than drab performances like Sheffield United.

Speaking of the Sheffield United game... using the ifs and buts argument, if we don't concede those ridiculous goals, we perhaps go on to nick the game 1-0 in the last minute and then everyone talks about how good it is that we can win games away from home without playing well. But we lost 3-1 and instead spend the international break writing off our season.

It's one extreme to another with a lot of people. I'm just happy with the positives from tonight and how we were able to win a game against a side pretty even to us without really having to break a sweat. The negatives of the game were very minor. If you've needed to say if our shots went wide instead of in, it would be a very different game, then that actually highlights that there weren't that many negatives after all wouldn't you say?

7 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Hull 18 shots? Half of them were pot shots from 20 odd yards which have a 0.01% chance of going in

Similar to Johnson and Vydra!

Meyler had a couple of sighters having worked the space well, one clipped the bar and the other was wild.

Hull created some decent openings. They should have scored a free header, had another free header straight at Carson.

For me it was just one of those games. We didn't create any more than Hull did. Aside from Martin's late shot, I don't recall their GK making a save which illustrates just how clinical we were.

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If we played like we did tonight in every single game, we'd be promoted.

This is the thing though. In my opinion, if we played like tonight every game I don't think we would get promoted.

In fact, I think we'd have a similar record of wins, draws and losses.

We played better against Bolton than we did tonight. We restricted Bolton to far less chances and created more clear openings from open play.

Like I said, on another day we lose this game 1-3.

Sometimes you just have to smile and enjoy the good fortune that you sometimes get as a football fan. 

Derby worked their socks off and got the breaks that in previous games have gone the other way, ie Sheffield 2 weeks ago. 

Come Monday morning no one cares about the performance, stick your chest out and regale workmates of thrashing a team that were in the premier league last season. 

Perhaps the best bit of tonight was the performance of Lawrence. Considering he's played 2 internationals in a week, came back from Moldova on Wednesday and still put in graft and no end of skill was a joy to behold. 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

This is the thing though. In my opinion, if we played like tonight every game I don't think we would get promoted.

In fact, I think we'd have a similar record of wins, draws and losses.

We played better against Bolton than we did tonight. We restricted Bolton to far less chances and created more clear openings from open play.

Like I said, on another day we lose this game 1-3.

Hull only had three shots on target, so that would make them even "luckier" than we were tonight if that were the scoreline.

Another day and we beat Sheffield United 1-0. Would have us on the exact same points as we would combined with your argument. If that's your opinion, that's fine, but I still don't understand how hypothetical can situations can be used to criticise a performance, but fair enough.

Archived