Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

What so he can buy another Sammon  !

Really? Is it enough to pull out a bad buy ? All managers make some bad buys ,,ALL managers, the real criteria to judge them is do they make enough good buys to build a blend and a team ,,, if starting points are taken into consideration then clough has been our best manager in a long time so much so that Steve Mac benefitted massively from clough work and was honest enough to give big credit to clough for that ,,, look at what MAC achieved when he left and was given money to build Newcastle team,

Right now, if I had to organize our recent managers starting post clough, if probably go

1. McLaren

2. Wassall

3. Clement

4. Rowett

5. Pearson

Must do better. I'm sick of the "needs more time to reshape the squad" excuses. McClaren and certainly Wassall didn't get that luxury. Other managers could do significantly more with these players right now.

2 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Right now, if I had to organize our recent managers starting post clough, if probably go

1. McLaren

2. Wassall

3. Clement

4. Rowett

5. Pearson

Must do better. I'm sick of the "needs more time to reshape the squad" excuses. McClaren and certainly Wassall didn't get that luxury. Other managers could do significantly more with these players right now.

The point everyone is missing is the amount of time we have wasted over these last two seasons 

2 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

1. McLaren

2. Wassall

3. Clement

4. Rowett

5. Pearson

Exactly my order too.....good effort!

21 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

You will have to take my word for it thought we should have had him a few years back.I made a post a few days ago and I can appreciate what you have said about giving time etc. but why Rowett with no track record can't see the reasoning behind that one .I do want him to succeed by the way.

Why Clement? Had no track record either. Could look at a number of appointments across the leagues which have been a success with no track record. Nobody gets a track record without being given that chance first. 

I always think of appointing managers is like trying to pick a date on take me out, they all want you because of the free holiday and will say owt to get you. Certainly seemed the case with Pearson. 

I don't really blame Rowett, anyone would have taken the job.

Should never had sacked McLaren 1 (first sacking was never about the interest from Newcastle, it was that Steve wanted things his way and Chairman Mel didn't like it) and 2 (a bad run of games with no window to sort the team out despite playing well). Should never have sacked Clement. Should never have appointed Pearson or Rowett. Problem is with the Chairman.

30 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Worryingly, a lot of Birmingham fans seem to think that recruitment was the weakest part of Rowett's managerial skill set. Many even went as far to suggest that it the reason he was sacked, as the new owners didn't trust him to spend their investment wisely.

Well, even more worryingly, most of the Birmingham fans I've spoken to hated his style of football. 

So his football is naff, his recruitment is naff... At least his interviews are good. 

Turgid football. I raised my fears at the time that we hired the wrong man, and I maintain them. Rowett fits the clough mould, is great in a side lower down with a small budget, not sure he can handle bigger egos very well. I'm in two minds of what I think should be done about Rowett, I think he'd eventually sort us out, but the question is of how far we'll drop until then, and if the squad will stick with him. 

We should have hired a manager who liked to play the same football as the squad. So in some respects, maybe firing him would do some good. And yet, we're in transition from a McClaren style team, to a Rowett one, so I don't think our squad is good enough anyway. I'd stick with him for now.

Archived