Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

42 minutes ago, toddy said:

I heard last night that Mel is looking to add another top tier on Pride park, so we can see the ball during the game....

I'm beginning to think that it may have been you that delivered the 'milk turns faster' gag at the forum.

How have any of the ins or outs from yesterday helped you come to the conclusion that we will be playing 'hoofball'?

Please give us all the lowdown on Kieftenbeld and Winnall so we know what to expect.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/08/2017 at 06:55, eddie said:

Only time will tell.

Four managers have tried to patch up Clough's side with a new damp course, a bit of pointing and new windows, but sometimes you need to knock down the whole house and re-build from the foundations up.

To be fair, the problems started when Paul Clement put French Doors in the bathroom, a conservatory in the garage and a gas fire in the pantry!

58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm beginning to think that it may have been you that delivered the 'milk turns faster' gag at the forum.

How have any of the ins or outs from yesterday helped you come to the conclusion that we will be playing 'hoofball'?

Please give us all the lowdown on Kieftenbeld and Winnall so we know what to expect.

Well the Birmingham fans have said that Keiftenbeld isn't a good passer and Winnall is 5ft 11 according to Wikipedia

So OBVIOUSLY they will help with hoofball...

:huh:

4 hours ago, curtains said:

True but I'd rather have Butterfield,Hughes, Hendrick or Bryson 

Mel told me he liked kinkladze but then wondered if he was actually effective. He then said he really liked steve howard and saw him as a player who always gave 100%.

from this i think it is clear that mel is fully supportive of the change which gary is implementing.

i liked steve howard - he was very much in the dave swindlehurst mould. Don't really remember kinkladze. Think that was a time when i wasn't able to go to many games. But I'd love to see a gerry daly or an idiakez even if we were less effective as a team.

Which is debatable.

On 01/09/2017 at 08:00, Ninos said:

On the field the jury is still out but off the field he's certainly forged a new team of quality players (tough and motivated) at a great price. Thus is what someone who works hard at their job gets you. Next match we may have Wisdom Davies Huddlestone Lawrence Winnall and kleft starting which is an incredible turnaround of a playing group in a short time.  If Thorne and Lowe get fit, Johnson can step it up a bit, and Vydra and Nugent can turn it on we are a seriously tough and dangerous team. 

It's all fékín talk so far. No sign of any improvement since Rowett came in.

Improvement means points.:lol:

Personally I'd just like a normal season. 1 manager that isn't sacked. Not sacking our CEO for fiduciary reasons. Not winning 8 on the trot to then lose 10 games. Not to be top at Xmas then capitulate and finish 10th.

id just like to see the ship steadied so we can see what the plan is, that the players care and Gary knows what he's doing and shows it.

he wasn't in my top 3 managers I'd have wanted and he's sold my 2 favourite players that I went to watch. I feel a disconnection with the team at the minute with all the change but I DO think he has pin pointed our issues and rectified within the limits that were imposed on him.

i think he's missed  a trick not signing a couple of young gambles such as Watkins that could severely increase in value with a good season at this level. Half a dozen goals and assists and he would be worth around £10 mil next season but I doubt we would ever lose money if he didn't shine.

im digressing but if we have a steady season and only finish 10th I'd be content. Contracts up next season and probably more flexibility on bringing in a bit of quality

11 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Personally I'd just like a normal season. 1 manager that isn't sacked. Not sacking our CEO for fiduciary reasons. Not winning 8 on the trot to then lose 10 games. Not to be top at Xmas then capitulate and finish 10th.

id just like to see the ship steadied so we can see what the plan is, that the players care and Gary knows what he's doing and shows it.

he wasn't in my top 3 managers I'd have wanted and he's sold my 2 favourite players that I went to watch. I feel a disconnection with the team at the minute with all the change but I DO think he has pin pointed our issues and rectified within the limits that were imposed on him.

i think he's missed  a trick not signing a couple of young gambles such as Watkins that could severely increase in value with a good season at this level. Half a dozen goals and assists and he would be worth around £10 mil next season but I doubt we would ever lose money if he didn't shine.

im digressing but if we have a steady season and only finish 10th I'd be content. Contracts up next season and probably more flexibility on bringing in a bit of quality

Exactly this 

I'm already bored this season and that's likely a good thing in the long run. Regardless of what happens, (concerns over play style, players leaving) we've hired a manager who needs time to build a team around his philosophy. That's exactly what's happening now.

I'm not happy with the loss of Hughes and Ince, the percentage style approach we've seen, the wingers we're operating with (roll on Lawrence), the likely loss of Martin over time as he doesn't suit what's being asked and a few other things.

Having said that: The manager was backed, he managed to bring in players to match his philosophy, those players suit what he's asking for, he's known for hard working teams which has been in short supply at times and he's someone I've generally agreed with whenever a pundit or on radio. I don't like the direction of football we're likely looking at but I at least trust the manager to make the best of it and bring success eventually, whether I personally enjoy watching it or not.

I'm not excited by it but things are ticking along. That, with ideally a little more excitement for most people, is what we need. Anyone questioning the manager after 5 games is coming from football's ever expanding loony asylum that has seen one league one manager go after 4 games and De Boer at threat after 3 at Palace. Unless we get relegated he gets a year as a minimum. There must be no sackings this season.

13 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I'm already bored this season and that's likely a good thing in the long run. Regardless of what happens, (concerns over play style, players leaving) we've hired a manager who needs time to build a team around his philosophy. That's exactly what's happening now.

I'm not happy with the loss of Hughes and Ince, the percentage style approach we've seen, the wingers we're operating with (roll on Lawrence), the likely loss of Martin over time as he doesn't suit what's being asked and a few other things.

Having said that: The manager was backed, he managed to bring in players to match his philosophy, those players suit what he's asking for, he's known for hard working teams which has been in short supply at times and he's someone I've generally agreed with whenever a pundit or on radio. I don't like the direction of football we're likely looking at but I at least trust the manager to make the best of it and bring success eventually, whether I personally enjoy watching it or not.

I'm not excited by it but things are ticking along. That, with ideally a little more excitement for most people, is what we need. Anyone questioning the manager after 5 games is coming from football's ever expanding loony asylum that has seen one league one manager go after 4 games and De Boer at threat after 3 at Palace. Unless we get relegated he gets a year as a minimum. There must be no sackings this season.

I am a big fan of GR and will support him. However, my brain finds it difficult to "stomach" the pragmatic, per centages style, Charles Hughes-esque verging on Hoof!ball and I'm wincing as I watch. It's not just about results for me...I have to take pleasure in the spectacle. I am finding it very difficult to forgive the sale of Hughes, and Bryson, and I predict Martin will walk soon. OK, I need to break my bonds to those players but as a former footballer myself, albeit only amateur, I want to see Derby County play good stuff. Say what you like about Mac, but the style of play was a real pleasure to watch. I don't buy that passing sides off the park is not the way to play. It's how the game is meant to be played. 

I think the Preston match was a template for how Rowett likes to play. We essentially let them have the ball until they got into our third, then we shut them down completely and broke quickly on the counter. It was pretty exciting to watch and we should have won by 4 or 5 whilst never looking like conceding. It's not going to work every game but it can be very effective. How often it's effective remains to be seen.

Archived