Chris Martin

Richard246

More goals than any other striker in the Championship over the past 3 seasons. Nuff said.

When you play to the guy's strengths there are few better target men in this division. He's top quality. I dont know anyone in my lifetime of watching Derby with his goals to games ratio for us.

He is a good option for us to have.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

More goals than any other striker in the Championship over the past 3 seasons. Nuff said.

When you play to the guy's strengths there are few better target men in this division. He's top quality. I dont know anyone in my lifetime of watching Derby with his goals to games ratio for us.

He is a good option for us to have.

Christ you must be young son

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

We were better without Martin isn't the same as we were better because we were without Martin.

Which is what you're implying. Purposely ignoring the horrific hoofball played on Saturday in comparison to the occasional drive from midfield on Tuesday, the opponent. 

No game of football was ever won or lost by one person. Ever. Never ever.

Totally wrong. I haven't implied at all it's only because Martin didn't play we were better. I just merely pointed out that we did better without him. 

Games of football are actually won by one person quite often. That one bit of magic makes a difference between nicking a draw or a win.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Yup but we were also better WITHOUT Martin for 80mins. 

Just read on sky app Chris Martin has 1 goal in his last 17 championship appearances. 0 in 11. :huh:

Now how many minutes did he play in each appearance? It doesn't really work as apps can be 5 minute cameos. I'd like to also know the number of assists/key passes and freekicks won in that time, since we can't just judge a strikers worth off of goals. 

And referring to your first point, maybe the other subs/tiring time lumping the ball had everything to do with that. We hardly looked good in the 5-10 minutes before that with Nuge getting the ball lumped at him.

I don't care if someone preferred Nugent to Martin, just as long as it isn't because 'Nugent smiles more' and high fives Johnny Russell even if he smacks one over the bar.

Can we also all admit how lovely it is to have three of the better strikers in the championship at our disposal? Even at our peak in 13/14/15 we didn't have this luxury.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

I don't care if someone preferred Nugent to Martin, just as long as it isn't because 'Nugent smiles more' and high fives Johnny Russell even if he smack one over the bar.

Can we also all admit how lovely it is to have three of the better strikers in the championship at our disposal? Even at our peak in 13/14/15 we didn't have this luxury.

And it was to our detriment when in 2015 was injured and out for the season...on Nugent we finally have a spare!

Still prefer the original obviously but it's definitely to our advantage.

8 hours ago, Simsy said:

Totally wrong. I haven't implied at all it's only because Martin didn't play we were better. I just merely pointed out that we did better without him. 

Games of football are actually won by one person quite often. That one bit of magic makes a difference between nicking a draw or a win.

Games of football can never be won by one person, regardless of how good you are.

'Maradona won the World Cup single-handedly'

Erm no he didn't. If Argentina had a centre-back pairing of Darren Moore and Claude Davis they wouldn't have even qualified.

You can never say one result is down to one player because football is a team game of 22 players on the pitch.

That one bit of magic as you say is rather irrelevant if your defence is woeful and concedes 7 or 8 every game.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Games of football can never be won by one person, regardless of how good you are.

Well he did beat England 'single-handedly' ?

8 hours ago, Sir Ramalot said:

Christ you must be young son

Not really, I've watched Gabbiadini, Kitson, T Johnson, Sturridge, Wanchope, Baiano, Ward, Burton,Christie, Strupar, Rasiak, Peschisolido, Howard, Hulse, there's many more, but im pretty sure Martin has a better goals to games ratio for Derby than all of these players. Now in the case of some (Wanchope, Baiano, Sturridge, Strupar, Christie) this was because we were playing at a higher level, but since we were relegated in 2002 (15 years ago), we haven't had a better striker than Chris Martin.

Now we also have a good striker in David Nugent and Martin may play less now. We have some good options. But those who criticise Martin in my opinion should take a step back and just look at what he has done for the club, and his record before doing so. He is without doubt a top top player in this league.

The question is more, is Martin the best fit for the team currently? given in the past 2 years he has been extremely isolated due to the way we have played, rather than his ability.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Erm no he didn't. If Argentina had a centre-back pairing of Darren Moore and Claude Davis they wouldn't have even qualified.

You can never say one result is down to one player because football is a team game of 22 players on the pitch.

That one bit of magic as you say is rather irrelevant if your defence is woeful and concedes 7 or 8 every game.

Exactly. 

And when people still bang on about Keogh cost us the play off final... well, if he hadn't have made that error then it'd be 0-0 because... Keogh didn't cross to himself and head it in? We weren't winning!!

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Exactly. 

And when people still bang on about Keogh cost us the play off final... well, if he hadn't have made that error then it'd be 0-0 because... Keogh didn't cross to himself and head it in? We weren't winning!!

It can make a difference between 2 closely matched teams, but that's it. 

As an aside, football fans definitely think the butterfly effect is in play... particularly Derby fans when it comes to that Keogh mistake, and the forgetfulness of the poor play bun Forsyth and even more so, Buxton (god forbid anyone blame him), before it even got to Keogh. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

It can make a difference between 2 closely matched teams, but that's it. 

As an aside, football fans definitely think the butterfly effect is in play... particularly Derby fans when it comes to that Keogh mistake, and the forgetfulness of the poor play bun Forsyth and even more so, Buxton (god forbid anyone blame him), before it even got to Keogh. 

Add that to the fact we couldn't break down there 10 men behind the ball for most of the second half. I suppose that's Keoghs fault too. 

We'll be a great side when we get rid of all these players we're better off without. There'll be barely any players on the pitch, but still, players who we are better off without...Keogh, Martin, Anya, Weimann, Fozzy, Johnson, Butterfield. We'd have a he'll of a five a side team.

On 17/08/2017 at 08:48, Anag Ram said:

Yes, Olssen plays one good game and every forgets how easy he is to beat, especially at the back post.

Forsyth has had an uneasy return but that's normal after a lay-off.

He is our first choice.

Fozzy looked very rusty in the first 2 games.

Olsson was excellent against Preston and should keep the shirt.

Anything else is just bad for morale.

1 minute ago, Gritters said:

I believe you can have a match winner in your team. Someone who can produce that little bit of skill and quality to get a goal out of nothing. 

To get to that point you need the other 10 players to get you into that position and stop the opposition from scoring. 

True. Football is a team game and it's rare for everyone to play well. The best teams have players who, even when their individual performance is poor, perform well for the team. This is obviously reliant on the manager/coach selecting an appropriate system too.

11 hours ago, Simsy said:

Yup but we were also better WITHOUT Martin for 80mins. 

Just read on sky app Chris Martin has 1 goal in his last 17 championship appearances. 0 in 11. :huh:

So what in reality is you could say that we were better without tom Ince against Preston last season at home because we couldn't beat them! - silly point but that is what you are suggesting- wolves were excellent we were poor in that game

Archived