Chris Martin

Richard246

Martin is a terrific centre forward and I was delighted to see him back. But he wasn't at his best against Sunderland and Wolves and like one or two others he found himself dropped on Tuesday. You could argue that most of the team could have been dropped, but it's now up to him and others to force their way back in and/or take their next opportunity. 

I thought PNE were bang average the other night and we were marginally better. But a win is a win and so the likes of Martin may have to bide their time. 

This is how it should be. There should be no favourites or shoe-ins. GR should play whoever he feels best deserves it or those he feels would be most effective for that game.

I didn't call the end of the world after Wolves just as I don't see the state of play now we've won a game as perfect. I'll leave all that nonsense to the right here right now reactionaries. 

We have a squad full of decent to very good players for the level. I don't see a poor player. Four points so far is about right and probably what I expected. 

Lawrence's arrival was needed. I don't know much about him but he appears an Ince-esque addition. And losing Tom was a big blow. So fingers crossed there. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The performances throughout the team in the Wolves game ranged from average to garbage. Martin was dropped as he fell into the latter category. Having said that the opposition were excellent on the day.  Perhaps making us look worse than we are (perhaps not).

11 minutes ago, europia said:

The performances throughout the team in the Wolves game ranged from average to garbage. Martin was dropped as he fell into the latter category. Having said that the opposition were excellent on the day.  Perhaps making us look worse than we are (perhaps not).

This is tedious, what striker can create gold from s**** at this level? The service to Martin was non-existent. Why not concentrate on that?

7 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Donald Trump wouldn't be president if he didn't say the thing he says.

He certainly made the right connection with the fascists, god-botherers and idiots.

1 minute ago, europia said:

The manager picked a changed team against Preston. Read into that what you will. 

And he said that Preston presented a different challenge to Wolves. Not a blame game is that too difficult for you to understand?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

And he said that Preston presented a different challenge to Wolves. Not a blame game is that too difficult for you to understand?

Just give up. He blows and you know it. It's one thing shanking a ball into the bleachers it's another to waddle around the top third like a wounded duck. Yes Nugent has Blackmanitis as well but at least he worries defences, puts himself about, and encourages the Johnny Russell's of the world by running back and high fiving his close long range effort.

Move on like everyone else has

Let's face it, we've had the best out of Martin (as well as some others, but that's another debate). As much as he's been great for us I reckon it's now time to cash in & move on.

He's not scored for us in his last 20 or so competitive games, so why many people think that he's our saviour is baffling 

If he doesn't get 'the service' then why play him? We look far more mobile & threatening up top without him anyway.

Thanks Chris, you've been great, but even at your best you fell short when it really mattered (Wembley for example)

23 minutes ago, Roboram said:

Let's face it, we've had the best out of Martin (as well as some others, but that's another debate). As much as he's been great for us I reckon it's now time to cash in & move on.

He's not scored for us in his last 20 or so competitive games, so why many people think that he's our saviour is baffling 

If he doesn't get 'the service' then why play him? We look far more mobile & threatening up top without him anyway.

Thanks Chris, you've been great, but even at your best you fell short when it really mattered (Wembley for example)

Ah yes I remember his poor clearance. 

This thread and the Johnny Russell one are hilarious.

How many pages of people trying to find different ways to stick the boot in can we really go through before it gets tedious? 

It's squad rotation and nothing else. I swear some of you feel so badly you want your opinion justified that you cling on to anything that makes you feel that you are right.

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

This thread and the Johnny Russell one are hilarious.

How many pages of people trying to find different ways to stick the boot in can we really go through before it gets tedious? 

It's squad rotation and nothing else. I swear some of you feel so badly you want your opinion justified that you cling on to anything that makes you feel that you are right.

Hilarious and sad at the same time....wanting a player to fail to prop up their own agenda.

Mind you,one poster flip flops so frequently on their opinion, presumably under peer pressure that,I genuinely worry for their self esteem.

Martin is our best striker by some distance, although I do like Nugent. 

It's a shame the time we decide to get someone close to the striker, against Preston, we drop Martin. I'm confident that Martin and Vydra are perhaps the best pairing. I can't say when we will get to see this pairing, but I can't imagine it's far off on the horizon. 

4-3-3 with our midfielders & wingers, just doesn't work anymore.

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hilarious and sad at the same time....wanting a player to fail to prop up their own agenda.

Mind you,one poster flip flops so frequently on their opinion, presumably under peer pressure that,I genuinely worry for their self esteem.

Definently sad. We are three games into a season and judging how some experts are willing to disregard players is crazy to me. Most managers even say to give them 10 games! Too many knee jerk opinions!

Archived