Chris Martin

Richard246

After watching the game against Preston i do believe Derby are a much better team without Chris Martin.

I am a Chris Martin fan but not sure he no longer fits in to our style of play under Gary.

Nugent works better for the team links up well with Vydra and i think Lawrence will link up better with the team without Martin. I would now sell Martin and Russell and bring in another 2 forwards one being a wide player.

Formation for me as to be 1-4 -2-3-1   with the 2 out of Johnson,Huddlestone,Thorne.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

After watching the game against Preston i do believe Derby are a much better team without Chris Martin.

I am a Chris Martin fan but not sure he no longer fits in to our style of play under Gary.

Nugent works better for the team links up well with Vydra and i think Lawrence will link up better with the team without Martin. I would now sell Martin and Russell and bring in another 2 forwards one being a wide player.

Formation for me as to be 1-4 -2-3-1   with the 2 out of Johnson,Huddlestone,Thorne.

Nugent and Martin both have a role to play this season. Good to have options.

29 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Long season, Nugent will get injured and tired, there will be teams we play against where I expect Martin to excellent and so to nugent, so basically we have great options

Not automatic first choice anymore. Not the kingpin. Not the one upon whom all hopes are placed. 

We're no longer "we have to adapt to the way Martin plays" but "Martin's going to have to adapt to the way GR wants to play", which is exactly how it should be. He needs to make sure he can do what the manager wants or he won't be in the side.

But he's still an important part of the squad who will get his fair share of goals/assists and something different to our other strikers. 

Martin certainly isn't suited to playing the way that GR has used him so far this season.

You have to assume that he has tried Martin and Vydra together in training and sees Nugent as the better option. 

I don't think Martin is the sort of player who will be happy as a bit part player.

On this basis,  I would agree selling him is the best, but certainly not my preferred, option.

Fantastic another Chris Martin thread:

Sometimes Martin will play.

Sometimes Nugent will play.

Sometimes they will both play.

Isn't it funny how praise of player X has to involve criticism of player Y.

"Vydra and Nugent looked good = Martin is rubbish"

"Weimann looked good = Russell looked rubbish"

"Olsson played well = Forsyth is rubbish"

2 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Isn't it funny how praise of player X had to include criticism of player Y.

I think your cynicism is misplaced. And you're wrong in the lower half of your post, people don't generally think that.

Given all the reaction that Martin not being here last season generated, the anticipation regarding his return, and his performances since the opening game of the season, it's a legitimate thread.

I'd be interested to hear (genuinely) what those who were desperate to have him back and believed he was the answer to our problems now think, having seen him be largely ineffective in the two opening games (for a number of reasons) and dropped for the third. 

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

I'd be interested to hear (genuinely) what those who were desperate to have him back and believed he was the answer to our problems now think, having seen him be largely ineffective in the two opening games (for a number of reasons) and dropped for the third. 

Our midfield isn't very creative - if you think that Nugent and Vydra will create and score all our goals well oh dear. Chris Martin does not just play one way. If we bought Messi would we adopt our play to him? Now we have Lawrence will we play differently.

Stupid idea that we only play one way with Chris Martin. Dull thinking.

Not another Martin thread. Let's not forget that PNE weren't brilliant and offered very little, yet in the first half we were no better. We only looked better second half when we played higher up the pitch and started to get players in the box in numbers. Again Martin was poor first 2 games but like under Pearson lumping long balls up to him with no support isn't his game, also the service in those games and the first half Tuesday was terrible. The second half Tuesday was far better but let's not get carried away and let a 1-0 win, only scoring from the spot, paper over the cracks.  It's a glimmer of hope and hopefully Lawrence can provide that service and if wiemann can find some confidence and consistency we might be a different proposition. All 3 forwards will play and will score. But as with all strikers, apart from Messi and Ronaldo, they can only score if they have the service. 

10 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I think your cynicism is misplaced. And you're wrong in the lower half of your post, people don't generally think that.

Given all the reaction that Martin not being here last season generated, the anticipation regarding his return, and his performances since the opening game of the season, it's a legitimate thread.

Like I say, sometimes Martin will play, sometimes Nugent will play and sometimes they will both play.

We all know that to get the best out of Martin you need to get players running off him - he'd have loved to have Vydra buzzing in and around him the other night.

The first 2 games, as you well know, he was left completely isolated with a pedestrian midfield 3. In a 4-3-3 Bryson HAS to play.

In a 4-2-3-1 with Vydra in support Martin will thrive this season.

There are many different types of opponent to play yet, if you think a Vydra & Nugent partnership suits every single opposition then I think you're wrong.

24 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Isn't it funny how praise of player X has to involve criticism of player Y.

Couldn't agree more, Martin came on Tuesday night after Vydra had come off and Bryson came on, different tactics to the one that was used with Nugent and Vydra . Until we see Martin up front with either Vydra or Nugent playing the "N° 10" role then it's hard to say if Martin suits this formation. In my opinion we played to Nugents strengths on Tuesday night, who to say that if Martin plays it will more to his strengths with the ball to his feet.   

27 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Like I say, sometimes Martin will play, sometimes Nugent will play and sometimes they will both play.

We all know that to get the best out of Martin you need to get players running off him - he'd have loved to have Vydra buzzing in and around him the other night.

The first 2 games, as you well know, he was left completely isolated with a pedestrian midfield 3. In a 4-3-3 Bryson HAS to play.

In a 4-2-3-1 with Vydra in support Martin will thrive this season.

There are many different types of opponent to play yet, if you think a Vydra & Nugent partnership suits every single opposition then I think you're wrong.

I don't think that, I think Martin still has a lot to offer, as I pointed out. My original comment was in response to the "not another Martin" thread, when I think this one is actually justified. 

At the risk of repeating myself, those who hailed Martin's return as the answer to our problems are realising things have changed and I'm interested to know whether their views have. 

mumblemumble
1 hour ago, Richard246 said:

Well I'm glad you're not the manager.

Martin allows us to play 4-3-3.

Martin has lots to offer. Just needs the right players and formation around him ... Like every other half decent striker.

Nuge is probably our most versatile striker who will fit with most systems but that doesn't make him better or worse than CM.

i'm just glad we have some quality choices ... Just need to find the support players and game system that suits the different permutations . It's a team game 

46 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Not another Martin thread. Let's not forget that PNE weren't brilliant and offered very little, yet in the first half we were no better. We only looked better second half when we played higher up the pitch and started to get players in the box in numbers. Again Martin was poor first 2 games but like under Pearson lumping long balls up to him with no support isn't his game, also the service in those games and the first half Tuesday was terrible. The second half Tuesday was far better but let's not get carried away and let a 1-0 win, only scoring from the spot, paper over the cracks.  It's a glimmer of hope and hopefully Lawrence can provide that service and if wiemann can find some confidence and consistency we might be a different proposition. All 3 forwards will play and will score. But as with all strikers, apart from Messi and Ronaldo, they can only score if they have the service. 

Sorry ollycutts but this grinds my gears a bit. Why is it every time we win or something positive happens the other team "weren't brilliant" "offered very little". Could it be that we had something to do with that? (nothing personal by the way :p)

1 hour ago, Richard246 said:

1 game

Nonsense

We haven't even seen whether Martin and Vydra can/could play together yet

We need multiple formations in today's game - This isn't the 1970s

19 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I don't think that, I think Martin still has a lot to offer, as I pointed out. My original comment was in response to the "not another Martin" thread, when I think this one is actually justified. 

At the risk of repeating myself, those who hailed Martin's return as the answer to our problems are realising things have changed and I'm interested to know whether their views have. 

I don't think anyone hailed it as the answer to all our problems - We had three seasons with Martin and didn't achieve promotion so he's not THE answer

However - He is a very good quality championship striker - He adds to the team and the squad - I'd rather he was with us rather than at an opponent - We now have 3 (4 after xmas) very good standard forwards in the squad all of whom have different qualities which we can utilise to play different formations and adapt our style to an opposition - Last year we missed Martin

24 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I wanted Martin back, I still want Martin here. I would rather he be sitting on our bench than playing for another team in this league.

We have genuine options up front for the first time in a long time.

@Richard246 it is easy to forget but Rowett has had Martin for 2 competitive games so far. It will take time for Martin to adjust to Rowett's methods and Rowett to optimise the use of Martin, to write it off after 3 games into the season after Martin has played against the 2 stronger teams out of the 3 and has not had the service is a bit premature. Would you still be starting this thread had Martin scored his chancw against Sunderland and we won?

29 minutes ago, jono said:

Martin has lots to offer. Just needs the right players and formation around him ... Like every other half decent striker.

Nuge is probably our most versatile striker who will fit with most systems but that doesn't make him better or worse than CM.

i'm just glad we have some quality choices ... Just need to find the support players and game system that suits the different permutations . It's a team game 

Yes, let us completely rebuild the midfield again so Martin has players around him! :blink:

Even when we went long he offered nothing with his head/ hold up play, and the ball just kept putting pressure back on our defence.

2013/14 season and the players we had has long gone we have to move on  - 4-3-3 is dead in the water with GR -

If a player cannot adapt to a managers tactics /systems then move him out, Yes, I know he was our top scorer a few seasons ago - but he has declined season on season and with Martin  we are now were we where 12 months ago was under Pearson.-  A player that does not fit a system what the manager wants to play.

Ok, GR might want to keep Martin on the bench and play him like we played Bent - as a sub maybe to try change a game late on.

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yes, let us completely rebuild the midfield again so Martin has players around him! :blink:

Even when we went long he offered nothing with his head/ hold up play, and the ball just kept putting pressure back on our defence.

2013/14 season and the players we had has long gone we have to move on  - 4-3-3 is dead in the water with GR -

Your opinions on Chris Martin are well known - And mostly seem to come along with a bad smell - Soooooo

No-one is saying build a team around him - What we saw in the first two games was that our CF was way too isolated and no-one was getting close to him to receive the ball - You can't head the ball to people who aren't there and you can't hold the ball up indefinitely - The very very best hold up players can do it for maybe 5-10 seconds

4-3-3 is what Rowett started with for 2 out of the 4 games so far - It is the formation he thought suited the squad against stringer opposition - We have played a whole game (1 whole game - WOW!) not playing 4-3-3 so suggesting it's "dead" under Rowett is odd

Archived