Thoughts on Tonights Substitutions

JG400

First off much improved performance all round, but heres just a thought

I felt that bringing on Bryson lost us a bit of momentum , not having a go at Bryson, but it forced us into a 4-3-3 and brought a ltiile bit of uncertainty into midfield at times

No complaints with subbing Vydra , its his first game back so totally understandable , however I would have bought on Bennett for Vydra and moved Russell over to the left and pushed Weimann into the middle , then you can still bring on Martin for Nugent later and your 4-2-3-1 remains in tact and the team experience grows , Bring Bryson on at the end to run down the clock if required

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Bryson substitution was a very smart move by Rowett. Obviously Vydra had only just returned from injury and needed to come off to avoid picking up a knock. The options to replace him were Bryson, Butterfield, Martin or Bennett. Bryson was the one from that list who would keep up that intensity in pressuring their defence and although we lost a bit of creativity and pace in the attack, I think the constant running of Bryson was important in stopping Preston taking full control. 

It was nice to see us not making defensive substitutions just because we were in the lead. I think that was a big reason for conceding late goals so often last year, we sat back too early and just invited pressure, it was inevitable.

Of course you need to be more cautious as you see a game out, but if you're winning a game with relatively little threat from the opposition, you shouldn't need to shut up shop too much. Hopefully that's one lesson that GR has learnt from his 9 games last season.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I was only listening on the radio and so got no direction from the commentators as usual but what caused the Preston onslaught of the last ten minutes. Did we sit back?

Wasn't really an onslaught from what I could see. Martin struggled to hold the ball up so it kept coming back but we dealt with it fairly well, Weimann especially carried on hounding everyone down.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Did we sit back?

More like the ref wanted a draw. Some very, very, bizarre decisions. Plus one other point - Vydra creates quiet a challenge down the middle that is very difficult to deal with, he needed to come off but Bryson is not the same threat.

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I was only listening on the radio and so got no direction from the commentators as usual but what caused the Preston onslaught of the last ten minutes. Did we sit back?

As @Millenniumram said, wasn't really an onslaught at all, so Radio Derby's commentators probably went a bit over the top. They pushed up and forced Carson to go long to Martin, who didn't even try contesting for headers, so we lost the ball quite a bit from that. But it was mostly just them hoofing it into the box as you'd expect from a team desperately trying to equalise, but apart from a shot hitting Keogh who was on the floor, there wasn't really too much to worry about.

Vydra for Bryson was more Vydra's fitness than anything.

Bryson did OK but seems not quite sharp - if he can play his way in and the sharpness back I think he'll do alright, @Cam the Ram said it above, he wasn't dangerous like Vydra was but he did help see the game through.

Martin had odd good little bits of play but wasn't terribly effective at just holding it up, think Nuge was just knackered by that point.

Bennett looked lively enough without being amazing.

Right starting line up, and good subs IMO

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

It was nice to see us not making defensive substitutions just because we were in the lead. I think that was a big reason for conceding late goals so often last year, we sat back too early and just invited pressure, it was inevitable.

Of course you need to be more cautious as you see a game out, but if you're winning a game with relatively little threat from the opposition, you shouldn't need to shut up shop too much. Hopefully that's one lesson that GR has learnt from his 9 games last season.

I saw this differently. I thought the perspective of the game changed on this sub and we became defensive. Bryson feels most at home when chasing a defender. We lost a big attacking threat with Vydra going off and with 25 minutes left I felt we settled for 1-0. 

A second would have killed the game off and we dodged a bullet with the double ricochet shot.

I would like to see us close a game out with a second and close up shop from 75 mins onwards.

I thought the ref had a great game.

that drop ball in the second half was brilliant.

seriously - at least he gave the penalty, altho he didn't have the wotsits to a give a second or an identical foul later on.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

seriously - at least he gave the penalty, altho he didn't have the wotsits to a give a second or an identical foul later on.

If the linesman hadn't flagged, the ref wouldn't have given the pen.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He may as well have worn a Preston kit, awful ref, awful decision, some well deserved abuse from us south standers.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Hang on, I thought sarcasm was my field?

When Vydra went and Nugent went Martin came on he was left without anyone close to play off. Result ... We didn't retain the ball in the attacking half. They hoofed and got a couple of oportunities especially when Keogh slipped. 

Martin is rubbish unless he has ball to feet or players close to him. Martin will work for us in 2 situations 

1) A la 13/14 season with a raiding Bryson / Hendrick ( history and nostalgia - long gone ) Bryson 2017 isn't Bryson 2013 and he does have Hendick with him either. 

2) with a  decent partner in hole ready to go and get the ball or play off him (Nuge or Vydra)

if we don't do either of those then leave CM on the bench because as a lone striker he just isn't equipped 

17 hours ago, rammieib said:

I saw this differently. I thought the perspective of the game changed on this sub and we became defensive. Bryson feels most at home when chasing a defender. We lost a big attacking threat with Vydra going off and with 25 minutes left I felt we settled for 1-0. 

A second would have killed the game off and we dodged a bullet with the double ricochet shot.

I would like to see us close a game out with a second and close up shop from 75 mins onwards.

That's how I saw if too, the Bryson sub was a negative one and think we lost momentum as a result.

That said, we held on, so it can't have been that bad!

12 minutes ago, jono said:

When Vydra went and Nugent went Martin came on he was left without anyone close to play off. Result ... We didn't retain the ball in the attacking half. They hoofed and got a couple of oportunities especially when Keogh slipped. 

Martin is rubbish unless he has ball to feet or players close to him.

Do Vydra and Nugent 'retain the ball in the attacking half'? I watched the game again on RTV and didn't think Martin was bad, and we had a few chances that he was involved in. Thought he might get an understanding going with Bennett who also looked OK.

Might have been as well if someone had allowed Carson to play the ball out from the back occasionally rather than punting long aimless kicks in Martins vague direction!

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do Vydra and Nugent 'retain the ball in the attacking half'? I watched the game again on RTV and didn't think Martin was bad, and we had a few chances that he was involved in. Thought he might get an understanding going with Bennett who also looked OK.

Might have been as well if someone had allowed Carson to play the ball out from the back occasionally rather than punting long aimless kicks in Martins vague direction!

Yes they did. They, and other players around them passed the ball amongst themselves. Martin, when Nuge and Vydra went, was left on his own as we retreated 15 yards backwards. Not Martin's fault .. It's about set up. At the start we had forward players (plural) in the latter stages of the game we removed numbers from higher up the pitch. Martin can only hold the ball for a finite time .. He needs support to be his effective best 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

Martin can only hold the ball for a finite time .. He needs support to be his effective best 

Perhaps if we sign Toral? Or even a good box-to-box midfielder. I presume also that eventually Vydra will be able to play 90 mins. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet that often if we retreat towards the end of a game.

Archived